PDA

View Full Version : Locations Near Missoula, Montana?

Brian Ellis
15-Jun-2007, 09:38
I'll be going to Missoula in mid-July. If anyone could suggest possible photography locations in Missoula or within say a two hour round trip I'd appreciate it. I like almost anything but mostly landscape and architecture. This is a short trip for something my wife wants to do, not mainly a photography trip, so I'm not interested in locations more than an hour or so from Missoula or areas that require a lot of exploration. I know Glacier NP is nearby but I'm going there later this year so I'm not interested in that for this trip. Thanks.

Michael Mutmansky
15-Jun-2007, 10:02
Brian,

If you're so inclined, there is an amazing piece of interior decorative architecture not too far away...

http://visitmt.com/categories/moreinfo.asp?IDRRecordID=460&SiteID=1

Considered by many to be one of the most beautiful church interiors in the world.

---Michael

Walter Calahan
15-Jun-2007, 10:38
Swan River Valley

Flathead Lake region.

Walk around town.

Explore small towns in the area.

Ask locals. I use to live in Billings, so I'm not a local.

brook
15-Jun-2007, 10:44
Lolo pass is just to the west.

Pat Kearns
15-Jun-2007, 10:45
Brian,

If you're so inclined, there is an amazing piece of interior decorative architecture not too far away...

http://visitmt.com/categories/moreinfo.asp?IDRRecordID=460&SiteID=1

Considered by many to be one of the most beautiful church interiors in the world.

---Michael

Historic St. Mary's Mission and Garnet Ghost Town can be found on the Montana website mentioned on Michael's link.

Michael Kadillak
15-Jun-2007, 11:22
Grew up in Butte and will be there over the 4th.

I particularly like the Seeley Lake area. Head up 83 to places like Seeley Lake or Holland Lake. There is a large spectacular waterfall about Holland Lake that you have to hike to but it is worth the effort. Beautiful drive with many possibilities.

Have a great time!

Brian Ellis
15-Jun-2007, 21:07
Thanks, this should keep me busy.

Donald Qualls
16-Jun-2007, 13:35
Anaconda Copper Mine is less than two hours south of Missoula -- it was, until the 1980s, the largest copper mine on Earth, and it's still plenty big, and still active. You'd need permission to shoot inside the mine property, but might be able to find a hilltop on public land with a view of the open pit, in which the 60+ ton dump trucks used to haul ore and overburden look like Tonka toys...

Dave Parker
16-Jun-2007, 15:05
Brian, The bitterroot valley, south of Missoula and the Lolo Pass area, both have quite a few areas that are scenic and worth photographing, the Big horn Battle field is about 3 hours south of Missoula, if you have the time give me a holler and I might be able to venture down that way and show you around a bit.

Dave

brian reed
16-Jun-2007, 20:22
Hi Brian,

The National Bison Range is probably an hour drive north, though mostly for wildlife opportunities there are some wonderful landscape vistas. The Garnet Ghost town, though I wasn't impressed with what was going on there on my last visit there, I saw a lot of orange tape. there is the Fort Missoula just outside of town and has some nice old train buldings and a nice old locomotive. downtown Missoula has some nice old buildings. The Lee Metcalf wildlife sanctuary about 45 min south of town is very nice on a misty morning.

BR

brian reed
16-Jun-2007, 20:29
Also stop in at the Neil Chaput de saintage gallery in downtown Missoula, He is the owner of the Rocky Mountain School of Photography, and usually have some fine exhibits by many world class photographers there.

Br

Steve Penland
17-Jun-2007, 08:52
The National Bison Range and St. Ignatius Mission are pretty close to one another, as is the Ninepipe National Wildlife Refuge. That's a compact area, not too far from Missoula, with a lot to see and photograph.

bgh
18-Jun-2007, 14:04
There also is a pretty high bluff overlooking the Milltown Dam, which gives a nice afternoon/evening view of the confluence of the Blackfoot and Clark Fork Rivers. I don't recall exactly how to get to the bluff, but Milltown is located east of Missoula off of I-90. If you get off the interstate at the Milltown exit, you probably can find someone who could guide you from there.

Dave Parker
18-Jun-2007, 14:25
The Milltown Dam area, might not be the most photographic anylonger, they are taking that dam out and restoring the Clark fork back to a natural flow, so could be a lot of construction equipment in the area to screw the shot up.

Dave