PDA

View Full Version : First scan from the Agfa - What's THIS?!

Scott --
7-Jun-2007, 11:12
Hey, everyone -

The DuoScan arrived last week. The SCSI card arrived today (thanks, Clay!). Got everything hooked up, installed, and configured, and the scanner works:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/bliorg/crop330.jpg

Now, the scanner's not the fastest, but the quality's pretty darned nice. 'Cept for that stripe down the middle of the scanned image. Anyone know what that might be from? Something I can fix, or am I outta luck?

Scott

AJSJones
7-Jun-2007, 11:28
If the stripe is in the same place every time and it looks like a darkening of the image (did you scan a neg or a pos?), it's either something (like a bit of dust/gunk) blocking some of the light getting to the image or something in the optical path thereafter - like on one of the mirrors inside or on the detector array itself. I say that because it seems as though it's perfectly aligned with the head travel. (So it's not on the glass if that's what you used) If it's blocking the lamp you should be able to check that and possibly clean i without taking the cover off the whole machine, fairly easy. If you do need to get in there, it takes a bit of figuring out and *then* it's easy. With a flashlight and jiggling the mirrors and lenses around, you might spot something obvious in the light path. I took mine apart once (a 2500) to clean the surfaces and used the same kind of care as I would for my sensor in my DSLR and reassembled it successfully (taking pictures "before" so the "after" looked the same as far as alignment etc :D )
Good luck
Andy

Scott --
7-Jun-2007, 11:57
Weird - I went back and scanned a 4x5 using the holder (how cool is that - a dedicated holder?!) and got this:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/bliorg/crop331.jpg

No sign of any stripe anywhere, which should be dead center through this image vertically. Put the glass frame and 5x7 back in and got the exact same stripe, exact same place. Checked the glass, and it looks fine. May try some different software?

I be corn-foooosed... :confused:

tim atherton
7-Jun-2007, 12:31
it's probably a bit of dust int he path of wherever the scanner calibrates the transparency part when it starts up

I can't remember where this is on this scanner (often a separate little glassed strip?

Obviously if it's on a surface you can clean, do so and then restart the scanner. And then make sure you clean this bit carefully before you switch on the scanner each time you want to use it.

If it's on an underside of the glass you need to start undoing things - of course then, you usually introduce more dust...

AJSJones
7-Jun-2007, 18:13
If it's like the 2500, there is a long slit in the holders close to the front of the machine that would be where the calibration happens - the width of the array and optical path but with no obstruction. Scott - you only see this when scanning reflective such as prints (right?), yet you don't see anything on the glass (it would have to be a line the whole length of the glass to show your symptoms. It must be on the optics used by the reflective setting but not by the transparency setting - i.e. in the lamp array or its first mirror is where I'd look first. It may be affecting the light getting to the tranny (before the mirror after directs the transmitted beam on towards the sensor) but its effect may have been diffused out for trannies (i.e. but not for reflectives) The fact that you don't see it on trannies means that it's not on the sensor or the optical path from the tranny to the sensor, that's the good news!

D. Bryant
7-Jun-2007, 19:12
Hey, everyone -

The DuoScan arrived last week. The SCSI card arrived today (thanks, Clay!). Got everything hooked up, installed, and configured, and the scanner works:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/bliorg/crop330.jpg

Now, the scanner's not the fastest, but the quality's pretty darned nice. 'Cept for that stripe down the middle of the scanned image. Anyone know what that might be from? Something I can fix, or am I outta luck?

Scott

I had the same problem when scanning 8x10s in the tray. I switched SCSI cards and the problem disappeared!

Don Bryant

Per Madsen
8-Jun-2007, 04:24
What is your version of the Agfa scanner software (Foto Look) ?

Scott --
8-Jun-2007, 05:26
I'm using VueScan, actually. Will try it with FotoLook (I think I downloaded version 3.6).

Also, the B&W is actually a scan from a negative, so this is all using the transparency tray. That's why I'm confused why it'd be there in the B&W but not the color.

Heading out for the weekend. I'll have to experiment more come Monday. Thanks for the help so far.

Scott

j.e.simmons
8-Jun-2007, 06:14
I had this trouble with my Duoscan. I seemed to fix it by throughly cleaning everything I could reach. I think it's caused by a dust spec somewhere that gets into the memory and causes it to think there is a line. The calibration area seems to be particularly prone to getting these specs.

Also, be careful that your large negatives don't curl too much under the heat from the scanner. I had one curl up and jam when I pulled the tray out. I had a devil of a time getting it out.

All in all, it's still a good scanner while still working properly. BTW, I used Vuescan with mine before it finally gave up the ghost.
juan

Donald Qualls
8-Jun-2007, 09:55
If it's in the 5x7 scanned on the glass, but not on the glassless 4x5 scans, it's dust on the glass in the calibration area (the notch at the end of the transparency mask opposite the lid hinge). Give the glass a very careful cleaning, on both sides, and be sure to clean the glass in the lid as well. If you see dust on the *inside* of the lid glass, get back to me and I'll give you a quick rundown on how to open up the lid to clean the inside of the glass.

In return, I'll ask for suggestions on a way to get rid of a *scratch* in the glass on my lid (located where it puts a stripe in my 6x9 scans, but fortunately doesn't affect 4x5 or 35 mm), without spending $80 plus shipping for a replacement lid... :eek:

Oh, BTW, I've got FotoLook 3.5, which in my experience works better for B&W negatives (I downloaded 3.6, also, but have reverted). The problem I had (and this may or may not apply to your Duoscan) was that in grayscale mode the Arcus 1200 needs to have the backlight warmed up after almost every scan, but the 3.6 version doesn't do so correctly, nor detect that it's needed; just fails with a "calibration error" that forces me to power cycle the scanner, and unlike 3.5, doesn't allow me to work around by switching bit depths to force a full warmup cycle (i.e. if I try two 16 bit scans in a row, I'll have to rewarm the tube, but starting and then cancelling a scan in 8 bits per channel will force a full warmup cycle when I return to 16 bit -- but this doesn't work in 3.6). If you have a similar problem, contact me offline and I'll see if I can extract just the FotoLook 3.5 from my installation CD to send to you...

Gene McCluney
8-Jun-2007, 09:55
I'm using VueScan, actually. Will try it with FotoLook (I think I downloaded version 3.6).

Also, the B&W is actually a scan from a negative, so this is all using the transparency tray. That's why I'm confused why it'd be there in the B&W but not the color.

Heading out for the weekend. I'll have to experiment more come Monday. Thanks for the help so far.

Scott

I have have very poor luck attempting to use VueScan with my Microtek Artixscan 2500f, which is very mechanically similar to your Agfa scanner (Agfa scanners were made by Microtek, also). While it always works with VueScan, the results have always been inferior to Silverfast, or Microteks own scanner software, which can be downloaded for free from their website. Don't know if Microtek's software will work with an older scanner such as your Agfa, have to check the website. There is a list of scanners there. Silverfast, of course, would have to be purchased.

Donald Qualls
8-Jun-2007, 10:05
lso, be careful that your large negatives don't curl too much under the heat from the scanner. I had one curl up and jam when I pulled the tray out. I had a devil of a time getting it out.

A useful trick I found a while back on my Arcus 1200 that might apply to the Duoscan: you can open the lid with a glassless tray in place. On either side of the lid are the two locking pins that keep you from opening the lid with the glass out (presumably to control dust getting on the sensor carriage's mirror and lens); these have little "tails" that are barely accessible from the edges of the lid. Using a small tool, like a miniature screwdriver, or after some practice an educated fingernail, you can snag the ends of these "tails" and push them toward the back end of the scanner, and they will unlatch and allow lifting the lid, which in turn will allow a) clearing a jam such as you describe (I've never had this happen, but I can see where it could), and b) using fabricated adapters to scan unsupported formats that can't be slid in and out with the glassless tray -- I scan 16 mm film in my 4x5 holder, for instance, with the uncut strip hanging out past the edges of the scanner, and lift the lid to reposition the film as I work along the strip or c) cleaning the scan carriage mirror to remove persistent dust stripes that aren't accounted for by junk in the calibration area of either scan glass or lid.

Per Madsen
8-Jun-2007, 11:10

Scott

FotoLook 3.6 is the newest version.

I had density problems with FotoLook 3.5, which looked like a broader version
of your stripe.

Ted Harris
8-Jun-2007, 13:13
The Microtek 2500f and the Agfa Duoscan are more than mechanically similar ... they are the exact same machine with different firmware. The only important difference is that the Douscan can't use Microtek software.

You should try the scanner with Silverfast Ai for best results.

tombob
8-Jun-2007, 16:03
my neg scanner sometimes gives me a weird stripe or cuts off at the end, try rescanning after its cooled down (unplug and leave for say 24hours)

Scott --
10-Jun-2007, 15:21
Donald had it - there was a tiny (and I mean tiny) spec of packing styrofoam in the calibration strip right in line with the dark stripe. Cleaned it, and there ya go:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/bliorg/crop332.jpg

I'm still going to investigate software other'n VueScan, though.

Thanks for all the help.
Scott

Gene McCluney
11-Jun-2007, 00:21
Donald had it - there was a tiny (and I mean tiny) spec of packing styrofoam in the calibration strip right in line with the dark stripe. I'm still going to investigate software other'n VueScan, though.

Thanks for all the help.
Scott

Many people recommend VueScan, and at least for me, on all my scanners VueScan is not my first choice, however I have other software options. Where VueScan can be of great help is in using very old, semi-obsolete scanners, where there is no other software support. When you have no other choice, VueScan can make the diffference between an operating scanner and a big paperweight. If you do have other software choices available, such as Silverfast, you are better off using Silverfast.

D. Bryant
11-Jun-2007, 07:13
Many people recommend VueScan, and at least for me, on all my scanners VueScan is not my first choice, however I have other software options. Where VueScan can be of great help is in using very old, semi-obsolete scanners, where there is no other software support. When you have no other choice, VueScan can make the diffference between an operating scanner and a big paperweight. If you do have other software choices available, such as Silverfast, you are better off using Silverfast.
Silverfast AI works very well with this scanner.

Don Bryant

Scott --
11-Jun-2007, 07:26
Ok, I downloaded the demo of Siverfast AI for the DuoScan. Will preview scan in reflective mode, but not transmittive. Not sure why - I get a "Cannot read scan parameter from scanner" message. Ideas?

Donald Qualls
11-Jun-2007, 19:57
Can't help you with Silverfast -- I've found FotoLook completely adequate, though I mostly use it as the Twain interface from PS 5 LE (which also came with my Arcus 1200). I use that combination because, though I have no software that will let me edit extensively at 16 bits per channel, with this setup I can scan at 16 bits per channel and perform a levels adjustment, then demote to 8 bits and still have a healthy looking histogram (do a levels adjustment of any magnitude in 8-bit, and you'll get a histogram of the sort I've heard described as looking "like a broken comb").

Tim Lookingbill
14-Jun-2007, 12:29
Any reason for getting a used DuoScan instead of a more modern refurbed flatbed like an Epson?

Scott --
14-Jun-2007, 12:52
Ah, it was a bit cheaper. Not enough, and I'd have liked to get the Epson or the other budget-minded LF scanner I'd sourced, but I set the bid in software earlier in the week, forgot about it, then got an email that I'd won the auction. :rolleyes: So, it's mine now. Works plenty well, if a little humongous.

Tim Lookingbill
15-Jun-2007, 18:00
Scott,

They are beefy scanners. I had the Agfa Arcus II and FotoLook's color management and canned media profiles for reflective was supurb. Didn't need to custom profile.

Unfortunately after 7 years of use it started generating stripped shaped noise I couldn't fix and so gave it away to charity.

My refurbed Epson 4870 cost $200 while the Arcus was $1100 w/full PS 4 brand new back in '98. The Epson looks like it was built by Fischer Price. But it sure is easy to take apart and clean under the glass. Very pliable thin plastic that bends easily so you can twist it off its base. It helps to have nerves of steel doing this, though.