PDA

View Full Version : Agfa DuoScan - Which PCI SCSI Card?

Scott --
1-Jun-2007, 11:20
Hi, all -

Well, the monsterous Agfa DuoScan I inadvertantly bid my way into arrived today. Now I need a PCI SCSI card to go with it. Anyone have any suggestions which card to use with this behemoth? I know nothing about SCSI...

(Lacking that, anyone wanna buy this scanner from me? :rolleyes:)

Thanks,
Scott

D. Bryant
1-Jun-2007, 11:28
Hi, all -

Well, the monsterous Agfa DuoScan I inadvertantly bid my way into arrived today. Now I need a PCI SCSI card to go with it. Anyone have any suggestions which card to use with this behemoth? I know nothing about SCSI...

(Lacking that, anyone wanna buy this scanner from me? :rolleyes:)

Thanks,
Scott
Any SCSI 2 PCI card will probably work fine. Adaptec cards can be found quite inexpensively on eBay.

Don Bryant

Gordon Moat
1-Jun-2007, 11:38
If you already have FireWire, and want another alternative, I just got one of these devices:

http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/FR1SX.html

It really works great, though you might want to confirm the device list. They do list two of the DuoScan scanners, though not sure if they match yours. I was surprised that it worked so well, though very glad to have this device. Of course, the cost might actually be higher than if you just got a SCSI card.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

JW Dewdney
1-Jun-2007, 11:45
Adaptec 2906. That's the one you want. Trust me. A SCSI-2 card (68-pin) will not work. Pay special attention to your termination! You can probably pick it up for $10.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/scsi_cards/entry/AHA-2940AU/index.htm

Scott --
1-Jun-2007, 11:46
Any SCSI 2 PCI card will probably work fine.

Don, would this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300116122274&rd=1&rd=1) or this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150125530433&rd=1&rd=1) work?

If you already have FireWire, and want another alternative, I just got one of these devices:

http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/FR1SX.html

Gordon, that looks really cool, but it costs more than the scanner did!

Thanks for the help, guys.
Scott

JW Dewdney
1-Jun-2007, 11:48
Don, would this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300116122274&rd=1&rd=1) or this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150125530433&rd=1&rd=1) work?

Absolutely not, sorry... you need an OLD SCHOOL 50-pin SCSI-1 card.

Scott --
1-Jun-2007, 11:51
Thanks, JW. Your post snuck in while I was typing. ;)

I'll start trolling for a 2906 Adaptec. Thanks!

D. Bryant
1-Jun-2007, 12:41

Gordon, that looks really cool, but it costs more than the scanner did!

Thanks for the help, guys.
Scott

Sorry JW is correct, I have an Agfa Duoscan and it does use a SCSI 1, my bad!

Don

JW Dewdney
1-Jun-2007, 13:18
I was just looking around here.. I THOUGHT I had an extra one. I was just going to send it to you..! But hell if I can find it.. sorry! :(

Donald Qualls
1-Jun-2007, 14:44
I've got an Adaptec 2910, IIRC -- in any case, you want a card that's neither Fast nor Wide, just a basic SCSI. The newer cards are *supposed* to be backward compatible, but they often aren't completely so, and an old one is almost certain to be cheaper anyway. I paid $10 for my (used) card on eBay (I have an Agfa Arcus 1200, slightly higher level but very similar scanner); it was made for a Mac, but PCI is PCI, I just pulled the PowerMac ROM chip (needed only to boot from the SCSI device anyway) ou of the socket on the card, stuck the card in a PCI slot, and downloaded a driver from Adaptec's website (that was on Win98 -- XP found one on the CD when I installed it).

One thing to watch -- you *may* have to have the scanner turned on before restarting the computer for Windows to recognize it. I can use the Hardware Manager to "scan for hardware changes" if I turn the scanner on after starting the computer, but I can't be sure that will work with other scanners or cards than those I have.

akfreak
16-Jul-2011, 19:30
Absolutely not, sorry... you need an OLD SCHOOL 50-pin SCSI-1 card.

My AGFA DuoScan HiD Twinplate Color Flatbed Scanner has a 25 pin connection at the computer.

D. Bryant
16-Jul-2011, 21:24
My AGFA DuoScan HiD Twinplate Color Flatbed Scanner has a 25 pin connection at the computer.

Okay then get a 25 pin. Somewhere on the web there are diagrams or photos of the different SCSI-1 and SCSI-2 connectors that help pin point what you have. That's really why SCSI drive many people nuts.

SCSI devices and ports can be really fast or adequtely fast for a slow device like a film scanner but on a desktop PC they are a bit anachronistic. Just be glad you are not dealing with A GPIB device.

akfreak
17-Jul-2011, 06:55
It is a little confusing, The scanner has both a 25 and 50 pin SCSI connection. The cable that came in the box with the scanner is a 50 pin to a 25 pin SCSI cable. The manual shows using the 50 pin connection. I have to assume the 50 to 25 pin connection cable came with the unit.

The adapter I got is this one (http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/scsi/2900/ava-2906/)

It says " Provides an internal 50-pin SCSI connector and an external DB-25 connector, allowing for the connection of up to seven SCSI devices"

The book also shows using the 50 pin at the scanner and I thought a 25pin at the computer, a closer look it is not clear but it looks to be a 50 pin connection at the computer. The 2906 has a 25 pin external and a 50 pin internal.

Here is the Image in the book.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6141/5945915133_cb1b4fd979_z.jpg

Now the cable in the box as I mentioned is one that has the a 50 pin male to a 25 pin male. I can only assume that this point it will function but at a slower connection to a 50 pin to 50 pin connection, only time will tell. In the box was 2 books, a windows and a mac. I am on windows, reading the book it never mentions SCSI-2 it just says for other SCSI configurations and more detailed info read the owners guide PDF on the disk. (I just found that note, btw)

Making old tech function on new isn't fun at all. Where was IEEE in 1996 , J/K dont answer that, I already know.

Corran
17-Jul-2011, 07:35
As someone who bought a DuoScan and then read this thread about a month ago, let me be clear:

The Agfa Duoscan T2500 uses a SCSI-2 connection, NOT a SCSI-1. The Adaptec 2906 recommended will NOT WORK.

The older T1200 model I can't say for sure. It is probably important to mention the model when asking/giving recommendations on these machines!

I just about chucked the scanner until I finally tried a SCSI-2 card and the right cable and voila, it worked.

Now I wonder if they could have possibly changed the scanner midway through production to be SCSI-2??? Surely not...

akfreak
17-Jul-2011, 10:21
Edit, I dont think mine is a T2500 max enhanced PPI is 4000 looking at the specs on the T2500 it is max enhanced 5000ppi

The adapter says it supports SCSI-2 but the 50 pin is Internal the connection is on the top of the board it looks to me.

No biggie I wasted $20. I will now find a SCSI-2 50pin card and buy a new cable.

Weird why they shipped it new in the box with the 50 to 25 pin cable. Re-looking at the picture it looks like a 50 at the scanner and a 50 at the computer. This has to mean the 50 to 25 cable I have wont work. I will buy a 50 to 50 cable and see if it will run plugged into the top of the card.

Now I need to find a cable, and search for a card to work if the internal connection on the adapter in the above link wont fit the cable.

akfreak
17-Jul-2011, 11:09
@Corran is this what your cable looks like? Or does it look like the big end on both?
Thanks AKf,
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6134/5947354036_a485809c9f_o.jpg

Corran
17-Jul-2011, 11:17
I believe that is correct. I definitely don't have the 50-pin job on both sides. I don't know anything about your model of Agfa though.

Ramiro Elena
17-Jul-2011, 12:00
I had that scanner hooked to my G4 for a long time with a 50 pin cable to 25 pin without a problem, I used an Adaptec card (will check which one it was later but 2906 sounds familiar.)
The Agfa soft was great but they stopped making it for OSX. One problem with that scanner is the lack of protection for electrical tension variations (or whatever is called.) Mine broke 4 times due to a poor electric instalation in my house. A SAI is mandatory otherwise a great scanner.
They made a firewire version.

I'll check the cables tomorrow if you want.

akfreak
17-Jul-2011, 14:00
Yes please do check, thanks. Pardon my ignorance but what is SAI? Some type of current correction device?

Corran
17-Jul-2011, 20:56
Speaking of the DuoScan:

I tried installing trial versions of Silverfast and Vuescan today. They said no scanner was installed, though Agfa's FotoLook works fine. When I try to load the drivers on startup Windows gives me an error, though I never thought much of it since the Agfa program worked fine.

Any idea? I've never had driver loading issues before on other things but this is my first/only SCSI device.

akfreak
17-Jul-2011, 22:11
I would uninstall any drivers and only install VueSscans driver. From all the reading I have done VueScan is the best one to use. I cant speak to the other software you are mentioning but doing the same as I said, uninstall all other drivers and only install the one you intend to use. This old tech is a pita.

Ramiro Elena
17-Jul-2011, 23:50
Speaking of the DuoScan:

I tried installing trial versions of Silverfast and Vuescan today. They said no scanner was installed, though Agfa's FotoLook works fine. When I try to load the drivers on startup Windows gives me an error, though I never thought much of it since the Agfa program worked fine.

Any idea? I've never had driver loading issues before on other things but this is my first/only SCSI device.

With SCSI you need to turn the scanner on before the computer. I've scanned with Vuescan and Duoscan without a problem. I liked the Agfa soft better though.

Ramiro Elena
18-Jul-2011, 00:50
Here's what I had:

First I got an Advansys ABP-3922 thinking I could only use a SCSI card of the same type as in the scanner. Can't remember if the cable was 50pin to 25 pin or 25pin to 25 pin.

Then somebody gave me the Adaptec AHA- 2930CU (MAC) which has a newer different SCSI-SE connector. With this card I used a cable with 50 pin (the big old one) to this newer connector. I show the cable in the photo attached.

The device I call SAI (don't know what it is called elsewhere) is used to stabilize tension peaks.
Hope it helps...

Corran
18-Jul-2011, 05:09
Already tried both turning on the scanner first and uninstalling the original drivers and using Vuescan drivers. Same thing.

I don't mind FotoLook but the colors change wildly from what I see in FL to what I get in Photoshop.

D. Bryant
18-Jul-2011, 07:15
I would uninstall any drivers and only install VueSscans driver. From all the reading I have done VueScan is the best one to use. I cant speak to the other software you are mentioning but doing the same as I said, uninstall all other drivers and only install the one you intend to use. This old tech is a pita.

Vuescan isn't a driver. With Windows OS a SCSI driver (usually named scsiscan.sys or scsiport.sys) has to be installed and the scanner is usually turned on before the computer. The device driver may need to be loaded by the OEM instead of the MS Win. You can reset the driver from the System folder if the scanner is turned on last to have the scanning software recognized the scanner.

domaz
18-Jul-2011, 07:34
Speaking of the DuoScan:

SCSI termination issues? If your SCSI card has a BIOS that is showing messages at system boot see if you get go into it and see if it "sees" the scanner. They usually show up at system boot-time. Make sure the termination is turned on both at the card and at the scanner. Make sure the SCSI Ids aren't conflicting. The scanner and the card usually have options to change SCSI Ids and turn on termination. The SCSI BIOS at system boot-time should have the card options, the scanner usually has dip switches or some other mechanism on the back to change options.

akfreak
19-Jul-2011, 02:59
there is a switch in the back of the scanner to change the port. 1 or 2. I am still waiting on my card to see if I will be good to go or if I have to buy a new cable and card.

I just hope I get lucky and catch a break and the darn thing will just work!

Ramiro Elena
19-Jul-2011, 03:19
Vuescan isn't a driver. With Windows OS a SCSI driver (usually named scsiscan.sys or scsiport.sys) has to be installed and the scanner is usually turned on before the computer. The device driver may need to be loaded by the OEM instead of the MS Win. You can reset the driver from the System folder if the scanner is turned on last to have the scanning software recognized the scanner.

I had this happened to me when I used it in a PC with Windows 2000 but there was a warning saying what was missing.

SCSI termination issues? If your SCSI card has a BIOS that is showing messages at system boot see if you get go into it and see if it "sees" the scanner. They usually show up at system boot-time. Make sure the termination is turned on both at the card and at the scanner. Make sure the SCSI Ids aren't conflicting. The scanner and the card usually have options to change SCSI Ids and turn on termination. The SCSI BIOS at system boot-time should have the card options, the scanner usually has dip switches or some other mechanism on the back to change options.

The termination issue is important too. I have a termination adapter in my cable. I also probably used a termination plug on the smaller SCSI connector if it was free. You used to be able to chain connect devices with SCSI, when not in use you had to "close" the free port.

akfreak
19-Jul-2011, 11:42
I had this happened to me when I used it in a PC with Windows 2000 but there was a warning saying what was missing.

The termination issue is important too. I have a termination adapter in my cable. I also probably used a termination plug on the smaller SCSI connector if it was free. You used to be able to chain connect devices with SCSI, when not in use you had to "close" the free port.

Now another issue of termintaion of the main connection. I searhed terminal adapters and all I found was adapters that let you link aditional cables, not anything that actually caps the end of an open connection. This has become a fairly complex problem. It's not like I can drive down to the locak=l best buys and start buying items to get up and goping. I have to oder parts online failr and see if it will even funtion.

Does anyone here happen to have one (the scanner) up and running on a modern computer (windows vista/7). There is so much conflicintg information, I think I will end up with enough left over parts, I will have to open a Skuzee warehouse for used parts to get rid of the stuff that didnt work, :p

Corran
19-Jul-2011, 12:53
I know how you feel, I bought tons of stuff...

If it helps, my DuoScan T2500 is working on my Windows XP machine. I figure it should/would work on a Vista/7 machine.

I will try the termination solutions to see if I can get mine working with Vuescan or Silverfast, thanks for the suggestions guys.

D. Bryant
19-Jul-2011, 15:18
there is a switch in the back of the scanner to change the port. 1 or 2. I am still waiting on my card to see if I will be good to go or if I have to buy a new cable and card.

I just hope I get lucky and catch a break and the darn thing will just work!

You most likely need a Centronics 50 male active SCSI terminator.

http://tinyurl.com/3kxcrz9

akfreak
21-Jul-2011, 18:25
[QUOTE=D. Bryant;752886]You most likely need a Centronics 50 male active SCSI terminator.

Nice, a Smart 2$$ way to show someone how smart you are, Love it Let me Google that for you http://lmgtfy.com/

The scsi termination link was about as useful as tits on a boar!

Every single bit of information shows you must have the 50 pin scsi connection at the back of the computer. You can use the 25 pin on the scanner side if it inst the last scsi device in the chain. So the Adaptec adapter will not work for me. I am going to buy the proper 50 pin card, as well as the proper 50 pin cable.

Looking at all available info I can find, I need a 50 pin card and a 50 pin cable to my scanners 50 pin connection. If I want to use the 25 pin cable supplied. I still need a 50 pin card however I can use the 25 pin plug at the scanner to chain the scanner in with other SCSI devices. The adapter I have installed is not going to work that I can see.

Here is the manual in PDF for the HID (http://lilsamedia.com/Duoscan_hid_manual.pdf)

So I am off to ebay and buy every known device I may or may not need to get this Turd up and running. Thanks for the SA link for Google. It will come in quite handy!

D. Bryant
21-Jul-2011, 23:29
[QUOTE=D. Bryant;752886]You most likely need a Centronics 50 male active SCSI terminator.

Nice, a Smart 2$$ way to show someone how smart you are, Love it Let me Google that for you http://lmgtfy.com/

The scsi termination link was about as useful as tits on a boar!

Every single bit of information shows you must have the 50 pin scsi connection at the back of the computer. You can use the 25 pin on the scanner side if it inst the last scsi device in the chain. So the Adaptec adapter will not work for me. I am going to buy the proper 50 pin card, as well as the proper 50 pin cable.

Looking at all available info I can find, I need a 50 pin card and a 50 pin cable to my scanners 50 pin connection. If I want to use the 25 pin cable supplied. I still need a 50 pin card however I can use the 25 pin plug at the scanner to chain the scanner in with other SCSI devices. The adapter I have installed is not going to work that I can see.

Here is the manual in PDF for the HID (http://lilsamedia.com/Duoscan_hid_manual.pdf)

So I am off to ebay and buy every known device I may or may not need to get this Turd up and running. Thanks for the SA link for Google. It will come in quite handy!

Look dude I'm trying to help you out with a little humor. Slow down and research your problem instead of shot gunning everything.

Lighten up!

Ramiro Elena
22-Jul-2011, 02:31
Here's the two terminators I've used with my Duoscan:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4954627/V220711_11.30.3gp

The first one goes between the scanner and the cable that goes to the SCSI card in your computer.

The second one goes into the free connector in your scanner (the smaller SCSI)

You can use (at least I did) all kinds of cables. Sorry I don't know the proper names for the connectors... The first cable I ever used was a 25 pin SCSI cable that connected to the Advansys card to a 50 pin (huge) SCSI connector to the scanner.

When you turn on the scanner make sure your all three lights go on and off (can't remember the sequence).

akfreak
22-Jul-2011, 11:01
[QUOTE=akfreak;754022]

Look dude I'm trying to help you out with a little humor. Slow down and research your problem instead of shot gunning everything.

Lighten up!
I said I love it, that was light, Ghee-sh, you have been very helpful. I love that google look up. sorry if you thought I was being a hard @$$. These forums , it's so hard for me to convey tone.

As to the shotgun approach, lol that is good. I figured if I buy every possible thing they make for this interface, I will be able to find a combo that works. I hate waiting only to find I need to wait some more.

The info in the PDF link clearly shows the cable I have ( the one that comes with it) is to put the Scanner in a loop, it's the return cable. I need a 50 pin card at the computer, I need a 50 pin cable on both ends. I already have everything else, so I am down to 2 more items. I dont think I will need the termination end, as this is the Olny SCSI device on the PC so it is the end.

Again sorry if you took my post as a dig, or insult. I like the smart @$$ stuff, but some people take offense. I cant wait until the day we have a Video chat forums. This way there is no misunderstanding of intended tone.

You sir have been very helpful. I appreciate all of your info. Mostly I apprciate what you have done with the scanners. You are the reason I bought this scanner. I saw some of your scans on the non HID version and they are wonderful. Thanks, AKf

akfreak
22-Jul-2011, 11:04
Here's the two terminators I've used with my Duoscan:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4954627/V220711_11.30.3gp

The first one goes between the scanner and the cable that goes to the SCSI card in your computer.

The second one goes into the free connector in your scanner (the smaller SCSI)

You can use (at least I did) all kinds of cables. Sorry I don't know the proper names for the connectors... The first cable I ever used was a 25 pin SCSI cable that connected to the Advansys card to a 50 pin (huge) SCSI connector to the scanner.

When you turn on the scanner make sure your all three lights go on and off (can't remember the sequence).

Thanks for the nice video. It explains alot. Akf

Ramiro Elena
22-Jul-2011, 11:33
By the way, you just use one terminator, not both. I had two for different configurations.

I also had only one scanner connected and needed the terminator. I don't quite understand what you mean by putting in a loop with the cable.

oh! Your scanner has a termination switch so you don't need no terminators! Just the SCSI card and the right cable. Should be easy.

akfreak
23-Jul-2011, 01:31
Ok here is the deal. I figured out a few things, I have it up and going but it is So, SO Slow the 10 MB transfer rate is Well Slow. I am using the cable it came with , 25 pin at the PC to the Adaptec 2906 and the 50 pin at the scanner.

There is no Adaptec 2906 SSCI drivers for Windows 7 64x so I looked for other drivers for 78XX based devices. I found a driver for the Adaptec 7870 chip included for Vista 64x and noticed while looking at the driver files in notepad. I saw driver calls to the hardware via emulation. I worked with this when I first made the jump from XP 32x to Vista 64x. I used VM and the XP emulator on Vista 64 to run program drivers. So Here is what I did, I modified the vista ones.

djsvs.ini and djsvs.sys are the files you need to find (I downloaded them from Adaptec server). Then I create a folder and move those 2 files to it, I called my folder Adaptec 2906 driver. Open the .ini file in notepad and look for the line [ADAPTEC.NTamd64]
%PCI\VEN_9004&DEV_7078&SUBSYS_70781414.DeviceDesc% = aic78xx_Inst, PCI\VEN_9004&DEV_7078&SUBSYS_70781414

Copy that line and paste it under to create a new line entry, you have to find your Adaptec Hardware ID and replace the code portion with your hardware ID info in my case it is PCI\VEN_9004&DEV_5078&SUBSYS_78509004.

So go into the Device manager, (right click My Computer, click manage) then Device Manager, Look at the SCSI Controller that is missing the drivers. Right click on it and go to Properties, then click on the Details tab and select the Hardware ID, right click copy and paste it the second line of the code we copied and pasted in the .ini file. Save the notpad .ini

lastly from the Device Manager, right click on the SCSI controller that
is missing the drivers and click update driver. Select option,
locate the driver manually. Browse to the folder you created in my case "Adaptec 2906 driver" and select it.

The computer asked me if I wanted to install these unknown drivers, it gave me a warning, I clicked yes. Immediately Windows 7 64x found the Adga Duoscan HID and successively installed it. And the SCSI controller in the device manager didnt have a Huge Yellow Question mark "?" it had a Icon and the SCSI controller was online.

Now I am not done yet. I Have VueScan Pro installed, but Windows auto installed the Driver for the Scanner. I want VueScan's driver to control the scanner. So I now have a scanner that talks to the computer but VueScan is not happy, it hangs and does all sorts of bad things.

It sees my HID scanner, it lets me choose the folder to save files, choose media types the whole deal, but when I click preview or scan it hangs. Not responding shows up, it trys to scan but the head moves the edge of the negatives on the flatbed and the bulb comes on but then it retracts and hangs in a 5 min repetitive loop until it gives up and makes a 8MB file in the out put folder, (the blank scan, .tiff)

I have some bugs to work out. I remember being warned about only having Viewscans drivers installed. I am no off to uninstall the auto installed one and let Vuescan be the only one. It has been a hurdle at every turn, but I am close now

Ramiro Elena
23-Jul-2011, 02:10
Why not get a different SCSI card? I even had a separate computer for scanning with Win2k (the best OS Microsoft has come up with).

akfreak
23-Jul-2011, 03:47
because I wnt to make it work on win & 64 bit os, and I did just that. Here is the first scan ever on my Duscan HID using Vuescan. So there you go, it can be some and it is faster now that I have all the drivers calling to the correct hardware as well as the proper driver for the scanner.

The problem was two fold. No windows 7 64x support for the SCSI Adapter, I fixed that, a little coding in notepad. Next to delete the windows installed driver for the scanner and re install Vuescan in 64x so it is not being hindered by the auto installed generic certificated driver from Microsoft.

Here is my First scan, I just grabbed the first target I could ding, didn't even unwrap it from the protective sleeve. No to learn how to properly use Vuescan, Things are looking up.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6135/5966145533_86cc5a63c0_z.jpg

D. Bryant
25-Jul-2011, 08:46
The problem was two fold. No windows 7 64x support for the SCSI Adapter, I fixed that, a little coding in notepad. Next to delete the windows installed driver for the scanner and re install Vuescan in 64x so it is not being hindered by the auto installed generic certificated driver from Microsoft.

[/img]

Good work. For some reason I thought you were running virtual XP.

Now you are the Agfa Duoscan/Win7 expert! :)

akfreak
25-Jul-2011, 11:12
not an expert, I just could not find the right driver for windows 7 64x. They dont make one so I started looking theu the .ini anf .inf files to see what is going on. I did find a vista 64x driver and saw how they just called to the hardware ID. it was that simple, I stole the vista 64x driver, Opened the Dev manager in win7 64x copied the ID. duplicated the line of code for 64x drivers and subbed the hardware ID, and whola.

I deleted the generic windows driver for the scanner and clicked hardware changes, browsed to the modded vista 64x driver and installed it. I go the warning because it is unsigned but who cares if it has a certificate. It was certificated before I added a line of code to enter my hardware ID.

Lastly the card 2906 cable combo is a 10mb connection (slow). I want to use a 50 pin to 50 pin and get the 40mb connection, so the search continues for a faster card that will work.

SCSI isn't supported in 64x until you get to Ultra 2 or SCSI-3 and up. the connection is 67 or 68 pin. that connection will transfer much larger amounts of data, however it is not compatible with the discontinued AGFA scanners.

Oh I almost forgot. When I did the first scan I saw some weird pattern spots on the under side of the glass flatbed top. The thing is new so how in the heck can an unused scanner have dirty glass on the bottom side. Here is how and why, All of the devices we use are formed from plastic pellets, these plastic pellets (at least the ones from back in the day) are a petroleum based product. The plastic chassis will Gas from just sitting in the box. Hot to cold and in between, the plastic will release particles from its surface, well the fine oils in the petro pellets will rise and form a film on the under part of a scanner flatbed.

I am not an expert but I did figure out a lot if things, I thank you guys for putting up with my stupid questions. I ask lots of things to elicit a response to either confirm or deny my beliefs. Being of a pilot mentality I do use all available information to make a decisions. Sometimes it may not seem the case but it is what I do.

I am now gathering info for neg handling, storage, as well as file backup. I already have 7 terabytes of data, and this is going to seem small when I start scanning all my films.

If anyone wants to see the win7 64x driver here is a zip folder. Open it and read the README notepad for instructions Link to the zip folder (lilsamedia.com/win7_64x_adaptec_2906_driver/Adaptec%202902%20W7%2064/Adaptec%202902%20W7%2064.zip)

I will leave it up on mt server for a a few weeks then it comes down, get it while you can

Murray
22-Apr-2012, 13:12
Glad to see this got resolved, and refresh my memory. I vaguely suspected SCSI termination was built-in. Glad to see that confirmed. I have one and got it running on my old PC.

The PC I have now has thrown me a couple obstacles...I don't want the scanner on the bottom shelf of the PC desk anymore so I need a longer cable. (Easy one). The motherboard has two standard PCI slots, one PCIe x16 and one PCIe x1. I do not like the PCIe x16 SCSI card prices at all. My regular PCI slots are both in use. (Messier obstacle to rearrange).

Hopefully I can relocate something and install the old SCSI card (after verifying it's PCI).

Another complication is having a 2nd SCSI scanner (UMAX Mirage IIse) I just want to get running because it will scan 11"x17" (positive and transparency)...not great resolution (700x1400?) but good enough to get huge stuff on the web...don't know if good enough for printing...

So now I have the challenge of figuring out if I can get the two devices chained, and not have to buy a dual connector SCSI card...I don't know how often I'll need Behemoth's big brother, but hate to get rid of it. It won't fit on my PC workstation...it has its own cart (29"x21", 57#). It was given to me because I stopped to ask what it was...I had never seen such a large device with a DB-25 and Centronics connector on the back, so I stopped to look & ask (a sucker's born every minute).

Rowat
11-Aug-2013, 19:39
Ramiro -

I am wondering if you have a dropbox (or other) link that still works with the two terminators that you were using at the time. I have a T2500 enroute and would like to avail myself of some of the hard-won knowledge that is already out there. I will be using the scanner on a Win7 64 machine and an Adaptec 29030U2 card. Thanks again,

Andrew.

Ramiro Elena
12-Aug-2013, 08:41
Hi Andrew, I don't have the video anymore. I will try and see if I still have the terminators and post a picture. I can't promise anything though.

Corran
12-Aug-2013, 10:05
Rowat- just wanted to say good luck! Never could get my DuoScan to play nice with my Win7 64bit box.

Rowat
12-Aug-2013, 14:24
Ramiro -

No promises needed - I appreciate your help & sentiment!

Rowat
12-Aug-2013, 14:25
Bryan -

Understood. Do you know what ended up being the sticking point? Did you just use a different box or a dual-boot in the end? Or gave up in frustration and now have a very nice brick decorating your desk...? Thanks again,

Andrew.

Corran
12-Aug-2013, 14:31
It was either the SCSI card not interfacing with the OS or me just not performing the right computational gymnastics to make it work. Either way I found a deal on a different scanner and ditched the Agfa. Sold it to a friend who was busy archiving thousands of 35mm and MF slides and was looking for a cheap, capable scanner (and she was running XP, so I gave her the card and drivers/software that worked for me on my older XP box).

Rowat
12-Aug-2013, 14:40
10/4 on that front. So XP had no issues - that is good to know. I think my SCSI card should be ok driver-wise with Win7 64; then it will be a question of all of the rest. Fun times await!

Andrew.

Rowat
30-Aug-2013, 20:03
Just to bring everyone up to date (and hopefully serve as a reference for anyone searching in the future) my Agfa Duoscan T2500 is now purring happily away on my desk attached to a Windows 7 64bit box. The card I ended up going with was the Adaptec SCSI 29160n PCI card that has fully supported drivers for Win7 (http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/scsi/u160/asc-29160n/).

Why did I settle on this card?

I sent Adaptec a note and asked them which SCSI-2 cards with 50 pin external connectors were supported with Win7 64 and they pointed me toward this card and the 19160. Less than $20 on eBay and I was off to the races. Easy install using the Adaptec drivers and once I changed the scanner's SCSI ID to a lower number (1 in my case) I was set. (note the Host Controller Card defaults to SCSI ID#7 which is higher priority than 6>5>4>3>2>1>0 - so set the scanner to a lower priority than the SCSI card itself). Make sure (if you only have the scanner attached to the cable) to turn the SCSI Terminator to 'On'. I downloaded Vuescan and everything worked.

So for anyone out there contemplating this scanner with Win7 64 this is your checklist:
- Adaptec SCSI Card 29160N
- Plug in Scanner
- Download Vuescan (or Silverfast)
- Scan!

Thanks again to everyone for their help,

Andrew.

JALaswellSr
22-Sep-2014, 08:13
122157 122158122159
My AGFA DuoScan must be one of the first. It is a ABC Code: LBX91 and SN: 36Y2254. I believe it is a 50 Pin SCSI 1 configuration. I have been using an Adaptec SCSI Card AHA 2930B, Retail 166900A 9732 PCI card with Window's XP. When I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro SP-1 drivers were no longer available for it. The computer is a BioStar Via board with P-4 Processor. It will work if I can find a SCSI card and Windows 7 drivers.
My main computer is a HP Compaq 8200 Small Form Factor 64 bit also running Windows 7 Pro which I would rather use if anyone knows of a work around which will work and is available.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Rowat
22-Sep-2014, 08:27
My above post should work for you I think. The pin numbers are the same? In any case, I had good luck with the Adaptec SCSI Card 29160N. If there is something different about your config I would suggest dropping a note to Adaptec directly - they were super helpful and I sorted things out in under 5mins with a rep.

Andrew.

JALaswellSr
22-Sep-2014, 12:28
My above post should work for you I think. The pin numbers are the same? In any case, I had good luck with the Adaptec SCSI Card 29160N. If there is something different about your config I would suggest dropping a note to Adaptec directly - they were super helpful and I sorted things out in under 5mins with a rep.

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew I will see if I can find one. I did contact Adaptec but apparently I did not get the same Tech as you.
This was my Answer

Greetings from Adaptec by PMC,

The 2930B is a very old model. You can try and see if the 32 bit drivers for similar newer 2930 cards will work with that older card.
Drivers for the newer 2930 card in Windows 7 32 can be found here: http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/speed/scsi/windows/aic78xx_aic78u2_win7_2k8r2_x86_v605457_exe.htm
Non of the 2930 controllers except the 2930LP are supported in Windows 7 -64, however that controller is no longer available.

The only controller that has PCIe connector is a 29320LPE. You can review the specifications of that controller here: http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/scsi/u320/asc-29320lpe/

Maybe they will help someone.

Thanks Again, Jack

JALaswellSr
5-Oct-2014, 09:57
122157 122158122159
My AGFA DuoScan must be one of the first. It is a ABC Code: LBX91 and SN: 36Y2254. I believe it is a 50 Pin SCSI 1 configuration. I have been using an Adaptec SCSI Card AHA 2930B, Retail 166900A 9732 PCI card with Window's XP. When I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro SP-1 drivers were no longer available for it. The computer is a BioStar Via board with P-4 Processor. It will work if I can find a SCSI card and Windows 7 drivers.
My main computer is a HP Compaq 8200 Small Form Factor 64 bit also running Windows 7 Pro which I would rather use if anyone knows of a work around which will work and is available.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

JALaswellSr
5-Oct-2014, 10:21
Andrew's post was accurate. I purchased the SCSI Card 29160N installed it in my old BioStar Via board P4 Computer with 32 Bit windows 7. I down loaded VueScan and it worked. I then purchased VueScan and all is well with the scanning. I had been using AGFA PhotoLook with XP previously, so there is a slight learning curve.
This Card will not work in a Small Frame Factor (SFF) Computer. It is a rather large PCI card. The Drivers for the card were on a Floppy Disk and my Floppy drive is no longer working so I download them from Adaptec which was no problem. Both 32 and 64 Bit drivers were available. This Card has a 50 pin external connector according to the documentation. This fits the same cable I had used with my AHA2930 Adaptec Card with XP and the Scanner.
Many Thanks again to Andrew.

Rowat
11-Nov-2014, 14:49
JALaswellSr -

Glad it worked out for you. Another post (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?112857-Banding-with-Agfa-Duoscan-HiD&p=1175171#post1175171) seems to have had good luck running it off of an XP box with the original software vs your (and mine) current setup,

Andrew.