PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Washington Meeting?

Ben Chase
29-May-2007, 19:33
Would anyone be interested in meeting on a weekend out in the Eastern Washington area? I know there are a few of us folks out this way (Moscow, Spokane, etc).

If there is any interest, post here and maybe I can figure out getting something together.

Randy Redford
29-May-2007, 19:39
I am tentatively planning on being there the week of June 18th to do some shooting. Would love to get together with some locals who know the area. Looking for scenics.

Randy

DOYLE THOMAS
30-May-2007, 10:39
So who else is out there from thw PNW?

Doyle, Vancouver, WA

http://www.primaryfocusphoto.com

Andy Eads
30-May-2007, 14:29
Andy in Richland. We've got Wallula Gap, the Horse Heaven Hills and some fine wineries.

DarkroomDan
31-May-2007, 07:12
Early last month I spent several days shooting over in the Palouse - mostly around Colfax and down along the Snake. Then two weeks ago I spent a week on a combo photo/fishing trip up in the Loomis area.

Depending on when, I would be interested in meeting.

Dan

Randy Redford
31-May-2007, 07:40
Dan,

Any not to miss areas that I should be looking for around Colfax?

Randy

DarkroomDan
31-May-2007, 11:42
Dan,

Any not to miss areas that I should be looking for around Colfax?

Randy

Randy,

You will want to go up Steptoe Butte. In my opinion it is best shortly after sunrise or shortly before sunset but is still good most any time. I have been there a number of times and the only real problem I have had is sometimes it is pretty windy. It was the last time I was there so I wound up only shooting with my 35mm.

Other than that, the whole area is great. I just kind of drive around and take a lot of back roads and dirt roads. I have a "Washington Atlas and Gazetteer" map book that shows back roads though most of the time I don't pull it out until I'm so lost I need a clue.

Ben Chase
1-Jun-2007, 17:11
Yep, Steptoe in the right season and right light can be pretty spectacular. I've got a few decent pics from that place.

Also, the road from Tekoa to Oakesdale has a lot of potential - can't remember the highway number off the top of my head.

For those of us willing to take an additional jaunt into North Idaho, there are a few good spots in the Clark Fork area, McCroskey Park, and for those architecture fans - Burke, Idaho.

Probably the last week of this month, I'll be in Glacier shooting. How's everyone's schedule look? Any spots that you folks want to see or visit in particular?

Ben C

shakey_slim
4-Jun-2007, 11:51
I'm a beginner in Large Format, and would love a chance to meet with local shooters. Count me in! I'm in Spokane.

ggbushaw
11-Jun-2007, 11:54
I'm from the west side of the state, but I grew up in Pullman, and my parents still live there. I'd be interested in a meeting if the time works out.

Ben Chase
11-Jun-2007, 14:18
I'm from the west side of the state, but I grew up in Pullman, and my parents still live there. I'd be interested in a meeting if the time works out.

July/August would be probably the best bet - Is there any time that is bad for anyone?

Kerey
11-Jun-2007, 19:19
Thought I'd chime in a little late from Moscow. Usually I spend my summers elsewhere (Yellowstone for wildlife research); this'll be my first summer in the area. I've been hoping to explore some local spots, so I'd love to get together with folks, particularly those more familiar with the area. Keep us all posted!

Kerey

ggbushaw
12-Jun-2007, 21:22
July is locked up for me, but sometime in mid-August could work.

DarkroomDan
13-Jun-2007, 08:18
Mid August or September work for me.

Ben Chase
13-Jun-2007, 15:14
Mid August or September work for me.

August is good - The wheatfields will be a very good color typically.

Scott Rosenberg
13-Jun-2007, 15:32
i'm just over the river in portland and would be very interested in meeting up and shooting. i'm open pretty much all weekends for shooting. i'll follow this thread or shoot me an email as things fall into place.

Eric James
13-Jun-2007, 15:39
I'm moving from Anchorage to Seattle and will be passing through Eastern WA sometime in August with plans to photograph along the way. If you folks firm up the date(s) of your gathering please me posted - I'd like to join you.

Ben Chase
13-Jun-2007, 16:26
I'll propose August 12th. Location TBD.

Scott Rosenberg
13-Jun-2007, 18:16
meeting on a monday? would it be possible to do it on a weekend instead? possibly on 11-august?

Ben Chase
13-Jun-2007, 21:16
meeting on a monday? would it be possible to do it on a weekend instead? possibly on 11-august?

I think the 12th is Sunday, but the 11th would probably be better.

Scott Rosenberg
13-Jun-2007, 22:16
sorry for the confusion, i thought the proposal was for the 13th... my eyes must be tired! regardless, i'm game for any weekend that works for the group.

Sheldon N
14-Jun-2007, 11:05
I may be game for the meeting as well. I've been meaning to head out that direction to shoot.

Ben Chase
14-Jun-2007, 14:02
I may be game for the meeting as well. I've been meaning to head out that direction to shoot.

Cool. The more, the merrier!

Ben Chase
14-Jun-2007, 14:03
sorry for the confusion, i thought the proposal was for the 13th... my eyes must be tired! regardless, i'm game for any weekend that works for the group.

Now if only I could get shots as good as you have on your site!

Scott Rosenberg
14-Jun-2007, 14:06
Now if only I could get shots as good as you have on your site!

that's very kind of you, ben. i for one am looking forward to meeting up with some PNW shooters and spending some time shooting with you fellas.

if you haven't seen his work already, check out don kirby's imagry from the wheatcountry... STUNNING!

Eric James
14-Jun-2007, 14:41
...STUNNING!...

Ben's work it very nice too!

Ben Chase
14-Jun-2007, 15:15
that's very kind of you, ben. i for one am looking forward to meeting up with some PNW shooters and spending some time shooting with you fellas.

if you haven't seen his work already, check out don kirby's imagry from the wheatcountry... STUNNING!

Totally agree. He's got a lot of really top-notch imagery.

I know where a good portion of those shots were taken too. I had never considered doing B/W in the wheatfields out here, but it appears that I should probably revisit that decision :)

Dave Parker
15-Jun-2007, 09:12
Ben,

Have you made your trip to Glacier yet? Just curious, I live about 30 miles from the west entrance, and it would be fun to meet.

Dave

DOYLE THOMAS
15-Jun-2007, 09:24
August can work for me, my bday is the 16th

Doyle

www.primaryfocusphoto.com

Ben Chase
15-Jun-2007, 10:44
Ben,

Have you made your trip to Glacier yet? Just curious, I live about 30 miles from the west entrance, and it would be fun to meet.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'll be there From Saturday the 23rd through July 1st (God and weather-willing).

Care to bring one of your ground glasses along? I need to think about carrying a spare, and I've heard yours is one of the best. I'm assuming you take cash? :)

What's your schedule look like? I'll be leaving Spokane/Liberty Lake early Saturday morning, and will be coming into the west entrance, not sure of the time, but it's about 257 miles from where I'm at now.

I'm hoping that the GTTS road will be open all the way through at least some time during my trip, but based on the road work they have to do, it's looking doubtful at this point. During the remainder of the week, I'll probably be in the Many Glacier area, staying at the campground unless I can get an on-the-spot backcountry camping permit.

Let me know!

Ben C

DOYLE THOMAS
8-Jul-2007, 11:06
It sounds like mid Aug is a workable time for most. We need to nail down a time and place soon.

Doyle

Ben Chase
9-Jul-2007, 17:51
Lets vote on the date first. Then we can propose locations next. Suggestions for locations?

Saulius
9-Jul-2007, 22:53
I'm not going to vote because I'm not sure if I'll make it but I'll definately be watching this thread. Sounds like a fun outing to areas I haven't been to before.

John Berry
17-Jul-2007, 17:44
The 11-12 weekend would be the one for me.

Eric James
20-Jul-2007, 22:15
Hey Ben - how was GNP? I hope you got that focus thing sorted.

Unless you've received PMs, it seems as though you have a weekend consensus. I'm not sure to what degree I'll be able to participate since I'll have 3.5 dogs in my vehicle, but I hope to pass through around that time and expose a sheet or two and put some names to faces.

Eric

John Berry
23-Jul-2007, 22:52
Prime shooting will be early and late. Perhaps a meeting in the late morning to early afternoon to get to a place for late afternoon to sunset, and again to shoot sunrise till light goes flat?

Ben Chase
24-Jul-2007, 17:02
Hey Ben - how was GNP? I hope you got that focus thing sorted.

Unless you've received PMs, it seems as though you have a weekend consensus. I'm not sure to what degree I'll be able to participate since I'll have 3.5 dogs in my vehicle, but I hope to pass through around that time and expose a sheet or two and put some names to faces.

Eric

Holy canine batman - 3.5 dogs? Are you using one of them to feed the others?
GNP was a pretty successful trip - the weather was good the whole time, and I saw a good portion of both sides of the park. Looking forward to going back in early September! I have about 10-15 sheets that I need to have scanned (probably within the next 2-3 weeks) by WCI.

Everyone else - yep, looks like a good consensus. Suggestions for a good meeting location are appreciated. I have a few ideas - but will probably put them up tomorrow.
There are lots of good locations in the area, but I hadn't considered what the parking situation might look like :)

Eric James
24-Jul-2007, 17:14
Holy canine batman - 3.5 dogs? Are you using one of them to feed the others?...

No, but I know which one I'll sacrifice if it comes to that.

...I have about 10-15 sheets that I need to have scanned (probably within the next 2-3 weeks) by WCI...

That sounds like a good catch! I shot about forty sheets in early July and only sent in one - wind blows.

Ben Chase
25-Jul-2007, 14:04
Prime shooting will be early and late. Perhaps a meeting in the late morning to early afternoon to get to a place for late afternoon to sunset, and again to shoot sunrise till light goes flat?

That sounds like a good idea. There are so many backroads in the Palouse, that it would be difficult to know of them all. Many of them are unmarked.

I like Steptoe Butte when there are some interesting clouds in the sky. If it's a clear day, then it is still quite possible to make great pictures, but you have to be mindful of the haze. Also the wind is an issue depending on what side of the Butte your on, but so far it hasn't stopped me. It might be a good idea to meet at that location, as it is a good central point for branching off to other locations.

Plan for weather in the upper 90's, but thunderstorms are always a possibility this time of year, and the Butte is NOT where you want to be when this happens. :)

I am going to get out and do some scouting this weekend and come up with some good spots that aren't TOO far out of the way.

Ben Chase
28-Jul-2007, 20:58
I did a little scouting today of places we should check out. Other ideas are always welcome!

Map is here (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=100210838964216098311.0004365beda647befe4d6&ll=47.518432,-117.141122&spn=0.040576,0.079823&t=h&z=14&om=1), which refers to the picture numbers below:

Please excuse the crappy pics, they are just to serve as an quick example and visual reference :)

Examples 1, 2, 3, and 4 here:

Ben Chase
28-Jul-2007, 20:59
5, 6, 7, 8 examples

Ben Chase
28-Jul-2007, 21:01
The last few examples:

And of course there is always Steptoe Butte, and the area nearby. There are several pictures from the Butte on my website to serve as an example (and because I'm too lazy to post them here).

Ben

John Berry
7-Aug-2007, 23:43
Just checking to see how many are still planning to attend the get together this weekend?
John Berry

DOYLE THOMAS
8-Aug-2007, 08:06
where?

DarkroomDan
8-Aug-2007, 09:15
I'm really sorry I won't be able to make it this weekend. Heading home from a three week road trip, I did pass through the area last Sunday and can recommend a side trip from Washtucna down towards Lyons Ferry State Park above Starbuck. A lot of the wheat fields have already been harvested and there are some great patterns on hill sides.

If anyone has additional time, I highly recommend a trip through Lewiston ID, only a short distance away, and follow the Clearwater and Locksa rivers on the way to Lolo pass. These incredibly beautiful. There are not a lot of places to turn out along the road so watch for them. If you have an extra day or so, I don't think you will be disappointed.

One other thing for those of you taking highway 26 to Colfax , pull off in the little town of Dusty WA. There is a great old service broken down station that is worth a few sheets.

Dan

Ben Chase
8-Aug-2007, 12:02
Just checking to see how many are still planning to attend the get together this weekend?
John Berry

I'll be there. Is everyone ok with meeting at the Butte, or was there a different place that someone would like to suggest?

matthew blais
8-Aug-2007, 12:15
Boy if you all were meeting on the west side, you could join Per Volquartz's Puget sound workshop (cheap as it gets). August 14-18

Some good stuff going on there. I was going, now can't.

Just thought I'd mention it..

http://www.pervolquartz.com/workshops.html

John Berry
8-Aug-2007, 14:29
where?

steptoe butte. Time?

John Berry
8-Aug-2007, 14:30
By the way ben, thanks for doing the leg work.

Ben Chase
8-Aug-2007, 16:26
Boy if you all were meeting on the west side, you could join Per Volquartz's Puget sound workshop (cheap as it gets). August 14-18

Some good stuff going on there. I was going, now can't.

Just thought I'd mention it..

http://www.pervolquartz.com/workshops.html

I was thinking the same thing...I'd love to go to that workshop. But another time perhaps.

Ben Chase
8-Aug-2007, 16:26
steptoe butte. Time?

11am?

Eric James
8-Aug-2007, 16:37
I'm sorry to say I won't make it - I have to admit, the temperature prediction scared me off. Good light!

John Berry
8-Aug-2007, 21:20
11am? Sounds good to me.

DOYLE THOMAS
8-Aug-2007, 22:26
I'm going to the workshop, going to talk about my digital tri-trans printing process.

John Berry
12-Aug-2007, 21:43
Ben,
Had a great time. Was the venison pepper stick OK?

Ben Chase
13-Aug-2007, 19:29
Ben,
Had a great time. Was the venison pepper stick OK?

It was great! Much more tasty than the typical store-bought stuff. I had some Elk sausage not too long ago also and it was very good.

I shot about 10 frames in total, hope to get them developed this week sometime.

John Berry
13-Aug-2007, 22:10
Here is one from sunday morning.

Ben Chase
14-Aug-2007, 13:42
Here is one from sunday morning.

I like that - it has a nice warm feeling to it.