PDA

View Full Version : Using a Jobo tank for 4x5 film ?

davidb
25-May-2007, 22:19
I am wondering about using a Jobo daylight to develop my film.

Is anyone out there using a jobo to do your film?

If so, what model tank and reels are used?

thanks.

walter23
25-May-2007, 22:46
I'm using something similar; a unicolor uniroller 8x10 print drum. Fits two 4x5 sheets at a time without spacers, 4 if you can get an appropriate divider. The only time I've used a divider it moved and my sheets were ruined so I process sheets in pairs.

I also have some jobo drums that came free with the darkroom gear I bought recently, but so far I haven't investigated them - they don't look particularly useful because they don't have ridges to hold the film in place.

The unicolor drum has a very nice holder system that keeps a 4x5 sheet perfectly in place during development, with the back lifted away from the wall of the drum so chemistry can bathe both sides of the film. You need to make sure it's an 8x10 print drum that you get though (the ridges are 5" apart, probably to let you also process small prints); the film drums take spiral reels and don't have the ridges to hold your film.

There's info on the main page here:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/

Nick_3536
26-May-2007, 02:40
I am wondering about using a Jobo daylight to develop my film.

thanks.

If you want to use reels then that means the 2509N reel. The older 2509 hasn't been made in years. Tanks depend on how many sheets and how you intend to process. All but the smallest 2500 series tank can take the 2509N reel.

Bruce Watson
26-May-2007, 04:18

Jobo 3010 tank. No reels. Does 10 sheets at a time. Excellent results.

Steve Kefford
26-May-2007, 06:32
Check the Jobo site for details. You should find all you want there.

Steve

Michael Graves
26-May-2007, 06:36
I just got a 2523 tank and a 2509n reel from B&H. Two things surprised me. One was that I think that was the first time B&H ever got something to me less than a week after I ordered it, and secondly, it looks like you could use this tank as an inversion tank if you wanted. I'm still trying to figure out how to load the damn thing, so somebody else will have to chime in on if that's correct or not. But it sure looks nice.

Nick_3536
26-May-2007, 06:39
The older tanks actually list inversion chemical amounts. It's pretty high [over 1litre I think for the small 2523 tank] but if that doesn't bother you.

Michael Graves
26-May-2007, 06:49
The older tanks actually list inversion chemical amounts. It's pretty high [over 1litre I think for the small 2523 tank] but if that doesn't bother you.

I've got a CPA-2, so I won't be using mine as in inversion. But 1l of solution is still less than I was using in an open tray with a slosher. I mixed up 48 ounces for that. And people using tanks and hangers need a half gallon to fill one of those tanks.

davidb
26-May-2007, 07:02
The high amounts of chemicals is why I want to use a daylight tank. So I think I want the 2523 so I can invert it.

Ole Tjugen
27-May-2007, 06:33
A 2509N reel with 4x5" film (same reel can take 9x12cm and 6.5x9cm film too) in a 2523 tank requires 1.5 liters of chemicals for inversion processing (according to the sticker on my tank).

Jan Pedersen
27-May-2007, 06:45
For 4x5 i use a Jobo 2521 and inversion. It is designed for 6 sheets but i never develop more than 4 at a time, there is very little space between the sheets with 6 so there's a risk for uneven development. It needs 1.4L but i use Pyrocat for 95% of my film so cost is not an issue.

Michael Graves
27-May-2007, 06:55
A 2509N reel with 4x5" film (same reel can take 9x12cm and 6.5x9cm film too) in a 2523 tank requires 1.5 liters of chemicals for inversion processing (according to the sticker on my tank).

DUH! It does say that, doesn't it? Reading isn't my specialty.

Nick_3536
27-May-2007, 07:16
Newer tanks don't have the info. At least none of the newer tanks I've seen.

I think Jobo pushed the 1500 tanks for inversion and the 2500 for rotary only.

Ron Marshall
27-May-2007, 08:40
I hand roll a Jobo 3006 Expert drum on the $20 Jobo Roller base. Simple, consistent, economical.

I have seen many drums go for about 1/2 their retail on Ebay.

davidb
18-Jun-2007, 20:45
I've just done 8 sheets (2 tanks of 4 sheets) of Efke 100 and all 8 sheets have scratched emulsion where the film rests on the reel.

Anyone else have this problem?

I did 4 sheets of Acros 100 and did not have this problem.

GSX4
19-Jun-2007, 07:54
davidbram. Efke films are very soft. They will get damaged easily. A Hardening fix IS recommended with this film.

davidb
19-Jun-2007, 08:54
I used Kodafix with these films.

fhovie
19-Jun-2007, 09:37
I have a 2523 tank and a 2509n reel with the whole tank kit- loader etc. I also have extra reels and the extension for it so I can develop 18 sheets at once. Using inversion processing, I have not had trouble with uneven development (6 sheets/reel) and I have never had trouble with film scratching on the reels. I have been using this system for many years.

A choice you will need to make is whether you want to use inversion processing or not. In the beginning, I used a lot less chemistry (280ml for 4 sheets) and used motorized rollers. I was not satisfied with the accutance I got regardless of the kind of developer I used. It is a matter of taste. If you like smoother transitions over very sharp transitions you may prefer the results of constant agitation processing for negatives that will be enlarged. I found that the negatives that were inversion processed were sharper. Also - a common Jobo mistake is to let the tank tell you the amount of chemistry you should use - 6 sheets is more than most chemistries can process with only 280 ml of chemical - they exhaust and cause uneven development. If 4 sheets need 280ml, 6 sheets will probably need about 500 ml.

For inversion processing 4x5 I find that 1.25L of chemistry will cover one reel.

davidb
19-Jun-2007, 09:47
fhovie, have you used efke film in your tanks?

I have read that efke films are soft but this is a bit silly. It basically rules the film out for me.

I'll be shooting some FP4+ this week and will see how that fairs.

fhovie
19-Jun-2007, 10:10
I shoot FP4+ and TRI-X. Lately less TRI-X. Although TRI-X is my staple for 6x6, I find I like the contrast of FP4+ better overall. The only other film I have developed in it is Maco IR820c and in the past some Tech Pan. Never any efke films.

fhovie, have you used efke film in your tanks?

I have read that efke films are soft but this is a bit silly. It basically rules the film out for me.

I'll be shooting some FP4+ this week and will see how that fairs.

Stephen Sample
20-Jun-2007, 11:12
I suggest that you consider the BTZS tubes which are distributed by The View Camera Store. I just switched from a JOBO and they have many advantages and no negatives. Steve