PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Southern Oregon Coast

Brian Ellis
17-May-2007, 10:28
I'm planning a trip of about 4-6 days to the southern Oregon coast, probably starting from the Port Orford, Oregon area and working south from there down through Cape Sebastian, maybe down to Brookings. However, I could go farther south from Brookings if there is anything really good down there (not planning on any redwoods though for this trip). I have a very general familiarity with that part of the coast but if anyone has suggestions for specific photography locations I'd like to hear them. Also, I was hoping to pick one town in which to be based and make day trips from there. I was thinking of Gold Beach or maybe Brookings, if anyone has any suggestions for which one of those two would be better, or if another place entirely would be better, I'd like to know that too. Thanks.

neil poulsen
17-May-2007, 11:01
Bandon is outstanding. It's got some of the most beautiful scenery on the Oregon coast. It's a must for a photographic trip. It sounds like you want your main location to be pretty far south. Bandon is a good candidate.

Newport is a classic sea coast town. There are a lot of photographic opportunities in the harbor area.

Of course, there's Forence and all the dunes there.

As a short stop, there's a state park with beds of insect eating plants. I can't remember the name, but I think that it's about 2/3rds down the Oregon coast. Sounds gruesome, but it isn't. Different and interesting, though.

I don't recall all that much that's interesting below Brookings. I don't venture much down that far, though.

You might consider going inland from Gold Beach, where you'll find Rogue River territory.

Vaughn
17-May-2007, 13:36
If you go a farther south, the quick drive up to Cape Sebastian is a pretty incredible long-distance view from high up. Just south of there is Meyers and Pistol River Beaches...great low-tide beach of sea stacks on a wide open beach. Farther south is Brookings -- Lone Ranch Beach just north of town is nice.

Farther north -- near the town of Coos Bay, Sunset Bay and Shore Acres are very nice.

Scott Knowles
17-May-2007, 14:40
I agree with the list so far, and add Humbug Mountain State Park north of Gold Beach and possibly the inland road from Gold Beach to the confluence of the Rogue and Illinois Rivers and to Agness. And if you're adventurous, the road over the divide from Agness to Coquille. There are some smaller waterfalls and lots of scenic and forests views, along with a nice high bridge to see the river. And the drive out of Coquille back to the coast highway is nice too.

Good luck. And I learned the hard way, watch out for poison oak in the spring. If you allergic to it, it hurts, fortunately I wasn't as I learned by standing it.

Brian Ellis
18-May-2007, 07:15
Thanks for the suggestions. I've never even heard of poison oak and have no idea what it looks like so I guess I'll just take my chances.

Vaughn
18-May-2007, 07:56
Thanks for the suggestions. I've never even heard of poison oak and have no idea what it looks like so I guess I'll just take my chances.

"Three leaves -- Let it be!" It always has leaves grouped in threes -- nice and shiny, too, from the oils the leaves produce that cause the allergic reaction of one's skin. Can be a vine or bush. Some folks to not react to it upon first contact, but will the second time. A good case will be two to 3 weeks of misery.

One can get the oils on one's shoes and pant legs and get secondary exposure later. I use to get it from dogs and mules. And my wife got it from washing my work clothes.

Most state parks will have posters up showing what the plant looks like. It is a good idea to be aware of it!

Vaughn

Scott Knowles
18-May-2007, 18:03
"Three leaves -- Let it be!" It always has leaves grouped in threes -- nice and shiny, too, from the oils the leaves produce that cause the allergic reaction of one's skin. Can be a vine or bush. Some folks to not react to it upon first contact, but will the second time.

And some folks just don't react to it. I spent 4 years in the Eugene office and worked in SW Oregon, in the Umpqua, Rogue and Illinois River basins. I was the chosen one to cut brush since I didn't react to it. My wife wasn't so lucky both on trips and touching my clothes from trips.

Learn about it and watch out for it, especially in the early spring when the leaves aren't fully developed. Good luck.

Jim Noel
19-May-2007, 18:16
YOu don't need suggestions. WHen you get to the area just take every every possible approach to the coast. You can't miss!

Sylvester Graham
23-May-2007, 18:38
"Three leaves let it be"

If that's poison oak than what the heck is poison ivy out there?
I thought they were two different species.

Vaughn
23-May-2007, 18:42
"Three leaves let it be"

If that's poison oak than what the heck is poison ivy out there?
I thought they were two different species.

Two different, but very similar species...generally...poison oak in the West and poision ivy in the east...and then there is poison sumac, a slight different species not found in the west.

Vaughn

Sylvester Graham
23-May-2007, 18:59
Yeah, I've met Mr. Sumac.

Vaughn
23-May-2007, 19:07
Walking around with my 4x5 in the bush on my in-law's farm in Australia I came across stinging trees -- imagine a stinging nettle that is tree size. Crazy place. Love it!

To keep this on topic...no stinging trees on the Southern Oregon coast (that I know of).

Vaughn

Don Kellogg
23-May-2007, 20:17
You should take some Tecnu with you. It's available over the counter. Take a shower as soon as you can and apply it to all exposed body parts. It removes the oils which cause the problem. If you think that you may have contacted poison oak on your hands be care not to spread it to your genitals when going to the bathroom. It can be real nasty. Donald R. Kellogg, MD :eek:

Kirk Keyes
24-May-2007, 13:05

Brian - look around in the Ponderosa country near Bend and I'm sure you'll find some Poison Oak. I know it grows in the Ponderosa/Oak transition up north of you between Hood River and The Dalles.

Kirk Keyes
24-May-2007, 13:08
As a short stop, there's a state park with beds of insect eating plants. I can't remember the name, but I think that it's about 2/3rds down the Oregon coast. Sounds gruesome, but it isn't. Different and interesting, though.

Neil - I love that place too. It's called the "Darlingtonia Wayside" and it is about 5 miles north of Newport on the east side of 101.

And I second the suggestion of Bandon and the Oregon Dunes as well.

Here's a shot of mine from the Oregon Dunes:
http://www.keyesphoto.com/Dune_Grass_In_Wind.html

tom north
29-May-2007, 21:15
Brian,

The southern Oregon coast is beutifull, however during the month of May you can get skunked by heavy rain and 45 mph winds (like I did a year ago). Be ready for frequent heavy winds. My favorite place to go is Cape Blanco. I have gone back twice in the summer and have been hit by adverse weather and heavy wind. The locals told me to come back in the August, September, October time frame when the winds have died down and the rain has stopped. Although August is a busey tourist month, they are generally well behaved. Travel around and check out everything if you can. Let me know where you end up.

Best Tom

Matthew Runkel
29-May-2007, 22:42
Neil - I love that place too. It's called the "Darlingtonia Wayside" and it is about 5 miles north of Newport on the east side of 101.

And I second the suggestion of Bandon and the Oregon Dunes as well.

Here's a shot of mine from the Oregon Dunes:
http://www.keyesphoto.com/Dune_Grass_In_Wind.html

Darlingtonia is about five miles north of Florence, well south of Newport.

Kirk Keyes
30-May-2007, 13:35
Darlingtonia is about five miles north of Florence, well south of Newport.

Thanks for the correction!

Robert Ruderman
31-May-2007, 22:47
Shore Acres, a bit south of Coos Bay, is well worth the visit. Great beaches, lighthouse, and some really nice cliffs above the ocean. If you are heading to Bandon, Coos Bay (and Shore Acres) is only an hour north along 101.

There is a state park, maybe a mile or two north of Shore Acres. If you reserve ahead, you can rent a yurt for the night. Not a bad idea if the weather is a concern.

matthew blais
2-Jun-2007, 09:22
Shore Acres, a bit south of Coos Bay, is well worth the visit. Great beaches, lighthouse, and some really nice cliffs above the ocean. If you are heading to Bandon, Coos Bay (and Shore Acres) is only an hour north along 101.

There is a state park, maybe a mile or two north of Shore Acres. If you reserve ahead, you can rent a yurt for the night. Not a bad idea if the weather is a concern.

I just spent a week there (Sunset Bay/Shore Acres) and the campground is Sunset Bay State Park, maybe only a quarter mile north of Shore Acres. Yurts are $27 a night but are nice; heaters, electric.. If you reserve, it's through ReserveAmerica.com and you'll pay a $6.00 reservation fee.

Enjoy.

David Henderson
19-Jun-2007, 01:14
In the area you indicate most of the really good stuff lies between Gold Beach and Brookings IMO and in particular I'd be looking at the area just north of where the Pistol River enters the sea. Also go to Harris Beach and Whalehead Beach. In general a policy of taking all the (few) side-roads and parking lots and exploring works there.

South of Brookings? Well I've twice travelled in from California and haven't photographed much between say Trinidad/Eureka and Brookings and mostly I've looked at trees in the wrong seasons under bright sunlight and passed on by. What I would say though is that if you have more than say three days you could do a lot worse than pick up the suggestions for Bandon where if you like beaches and stacks you could easily spend a day or two without leaving town- though the Bullards Beach area which brings you out on the opposite bank of the Coquille River and the old light is productive too. Personally I find Shore Acres/Cape Arago overrated, but everyone goes and most people seem to like it.

Staying. In Bandon there is the odd property directly overlooking the stacks and of these I like the Sunset Inn (Vern Brown addition) which has direct views onto the stacks and steps down to the beach. Further South I'd prefer Brookings to Gold Beach not least because there's a Best Western right on a drift-woody beach at Brookings Harbour which has an OK restaurant across the road that stays open late enough to eat after evening pictures.

I'd buy "Oregon Coastal Access" by Kenn Oberrecht and published by OSU.