PDA

View Full Version : Patching bellows - best practices?

Scott --
11-May-2007, 16:43
Hey, everyone -

The Seneca's bellows need work. They're not what I'd call a seive, but they'll need replacing sooner than later (in fact, I have a couple more cameras I plan to sell off, and hopefully will generate some more income somehow, so as I can get Mark Kapono to make me one soon - ya hear that Mark? :)). There're plenty of small holes in the corners when the bellows are stretched. Is it better to coat them from the inside or outside? I'd think liquid electrical tape from the outside would be easiest, but will it work?

Thanks.
Scott

Jon Wilson
11-May-2007, 21:41
I used liquid electrical tape on the outside of my V8 bellows. It worked fine. I put a couple of coats on mine and set it up in a dark room with a flashlight to identify the pinholes etc. I also recommend you allow it to dry between any coats and touch it up as needed. I did eventually replace the bellows. Jon

John Cahill
11-May-2007, 23:55
Scott,

By the book means do it from the inside. On the other hand, I have had good luck filling those pinholes at the corner with black fabric paint. I think it was Kirk Gittings who put us on to that.
The brand I use is made by Duncancrafts, brand name Scribbles. I use their sc 139 shiny black. It dries in 24 hours, stays flexible. I bought a one oz bottle at the local variety store for a buck ninety eight.

Jim Noel
12-May-2007, 08:02
B&S sells a very good bellws patching kit containing cloth and black sealant.
I normally use artists black acrylic paint. It stays flexible and it is easy to apply a second coat if needed.

Gene McCluney
12-May-2007, 08:10
B&S sells a very good bellws patching kit containing cloth and black sealant.
I normally use artists black acrylic paint. It stays flexible and it is easy to apply a second coat if needed.

What is B&S?? Do you mean B&H?

John Cahill
12-May-2007, 09:15
B and S= Bostick and Sullivan

David A. Goldfarb
12-May-2007, 10:17
I've been using the B&S kit on my 7x17" Korona, and it's good stuff. You can use it both inside and out.

Mark Kapono
13-May-2007, 21:54
Aloha Scott:

I hope that the quote tendered to you meets with your approval. As for materials for patching a bellows, I have seen a fair number of materials that seem not to work, as evidenced on the original bellows that have passed over the bench. Iron-on patches, I anticipate that one showing up down the road.

A hui hou!

Frank R
14-May-2007, 08:55
How about just doubling up your darkcloth and laying it over the bellows before you pull the darkslide? It works for me on my old Poco.

Scott --
14-May-2007, 09:05
You know, Frank, that may be what I do until I can send the bad bellows off to Mark for replacing. I bought some Scribbles fabric paint today, but might just lightly cover the spots for now and drape the darkcloth/lined flannel shirt over the bellows.

Damn good idea.

Thanks, everyone. Back to finishing the three-piece walnut lensboard I'm making for the impending Sironar-N 210/5.6!

Rafael Garcia
14-May-2007, 19:01
It may be a bit usightly, but as Mark knows from the old bellows I sent him to copy, gaffer's tape on the outside works very well. I never tried doing it on the inside, but it could work just fine too!

Frank R
15-May-2007, 05:39
I used a piece of black masking tape (available at Lowe's) to patch a spot on my bellows when it got too close to a hotlight and melted (doh!!!).

You never want to notice the smell of burning rubber in your studio. Not good... not good at all.

seawolf66
15-May-2007, 09:13
Frank: By laying the cloth over the bellows on the camera to eleminate light leaks are you not taking a chance to distort the bellows and goof up the foto ??? I know the is a real dum question , but I all ways thought that the bellows being moved up or down or even left to right would cause a shift ing the foto: Wish I could draw a foto for you to under stand what I am tring to get at here:!~!!Lauren:confused:

Frank R
15-May-2007, 18:45
Frank: By laying the cloth over the bellows on the camera to eleminate light leaks are you not taking a chance to distort the bellows and goof up the foto ??? I know the is a real dum question , but I all ways thought that the bellows being moved up or down or even left to right would cause a shift ing the foto: Wish I could draw a foto for you to under stand what I am tring to get at here:!~!!Lauren:confused:

Not a dumb question. The dark cloth is not heavy enough to cause much sag, so it is not a problem. The dark cloth rests on the front standard and the rear box as well as the bellows so that may take more of the weight off of the bellows.

Shifting the bellows will not shift the image unless the lens is bumped out of alignment. Or the bellows are moved so much that it vignettes the image; which is highly unlikely.

Jim Rice
15-May-2007, 19:21
The dark cloth works like a charm......you can also stuff it under the bellows to fix any sag.

David A. Goldfarb
15-May-2007, 19:22
Oh, it's quite easy for the bellows to impinge on the image, but you can check for it and avoid it. Morley Baer famously had a camera with all kinds of pinholes in the bellows and wrapped the darkcloth around it to prevent leaks.

Roger Krueger
16-May-2007, 20:48
In a similar vein, anyone have any recommendations for glue to put a seam back together? The bellows on my Linhof color are still pretty decent, but the seam came unglued anlong most of its length.

Bernard Kaye
20-May-2007, 21:33
Does anyone know if B & S is still in business? No answer to emails. Bernie

Randy H
21-May-2007, 02:07
In a similar vein, anyone have any recommendations for glue to put a seam back together? The bellows on my Linhof color are still pretty decent, but the seam came unglued anlong most of its length.

Headliner adhesive from local auto-parts works pretty good. Just cover adjoining areas so you only get spray where you really want it. Wait a sec and press back together. Has worked on several old beaters I have, and on my enlarger bellows.

David A. Goldfarb
21-May-2007, 04:42
Does anyone know if B & S is still in business? No answer to emails. Bernie

I've ordered from them fairly recently. Have you called them?

Mark Carney
21-May-2007, 05:57
I just recieved a bottle of Bellows Patch Sealer from them a day or two ago.