PDA

View Full Version : Digital View Camera

Eric Leppanen
10-May-2007, 20:19
For our current (and would-be) digital mavens, here is photographer Richard Sexton's approach to digital capture using a view camera platform (he wrote the various tutorials on the Ebony camera web site):

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/digital-ebony.shtml

I've been waiting for this article to come out -- I purchased Richard's 45SU when he migrated to the SW45 a few months ago -- although I didn't realize it would be published on the LL site (it should get plenty of traffic there, though). It is an interesting, hybrid setup -- notice that he doesn't swear off 4x5 film entirely -- but for applications optimal for digital capture he seems quite happy with it.

One obvious question is, given the limited resolution of the camera groundglass, how well can he focus this setup, given the small image area? I asked Richard this, and he said he utilizes the ground glass (supplemented with an Ebony wide-angle fresnel) that came with the Flexadapter. Using this setup and his 4x loupe, Richard says he can focus without any problems. He also says he doesn't miss geared movements, at least for field use. But I still wonder whether optimal focusing can still be consistently achieved to fully utilize, say, a P45 or future higher resolution back (I'm not counting use of Live Preview, which requires teathered operation)? And stitching multiple images using an LF film lens like the Nikon 200M or 300M works well with a 16MP back like the P20, but stitching with a higher resolution back would leave bits on the table given the resolution limits of such lenses, no?

I understand that for most commercial applications 16 MP (and especially multiple stitched 16 MP captures) is more than enough resolution to satisfy clients. But those of us wedded to large fine art prints will still ponder how higher resolutions can be achieved.

Rory_5244
10-May-2007, 22:16
With film. :D

Ted Harris
11-May-2007, 16:48
Eric, it depends on how many stitched you make of course. I recently had the 'back' manufactured by Camera Fusion demo'd in my stidio and it was very impressive. Their back mates to a DSLR and can be used on any Graflokback. I will be testing one sometime soon. The Camera Fusion back is similar to the one Richard tested.

Doug Dolde
11-May-2007, 16:50
I think this was one of the best written and most interesting articles on the LL site in quite a while. It was Ebony-centric, but no reason not to use the ideas on any view camera. I think my Arca Swiss would be even better for this sort of thing. Much finer and geared focusing than an Ebony. I can see myself doing two or three rows of two using front rise and fall.

Marko
11-May-2007, 20:56
Eric, it depends on how many stitched you make of course. I recently had the 'back' manufactured by Camera Fusion demo'd in my stidio and it was very impressive. Their back mates to a DSLR and can be used on any Graflokback. I will be testing one sometime soon. The Camera Fusion back is similar to the one Richard tested.

Ted,

Is there any chance you might write a detailed review of Camera Fusion adapter? I would think many people would be interested in its capabilities.

Ben R
12-May-2007, 15:30
Reichmann gave up on LF with a digital back precisely because focusing in the field (in the studio you can check with your hooked up laptop or whatever) was so difficult. Can't remember where he wrote it though. I can see where he is coming from, it's hard enough with a 4X5 ground glass sometimes, this is an imaging area far far smaller, with much higher resolving power for the given distance, using movements must be a nightmare.

Ted Harris
13-May-2007, 04:53
Marko,

I plan on just such a detailed review. First I need to get the back from them towork with for a bit and compare it to other similar solutions and to film. Right now all I have is one image we produced in my studio with the back and a similar image I produced later with the proximate same setup .... the camera and lens stayed in the same position but I had to rearrange the jewelry setup as there was just to much in $$ sitting there for me to leave it in place till I could get back to rephotograph so I need to do more. It does offer aninteresting alternative at a reasonable price. So, please stand by. Right now I have a lot on my plate and I am planning on this for either the September - October or November - December issue. All information on other similar systems and experience with this one welcome. Please email though, as well as posting :).