PDA

View Full Version : How are disposable cameras able to operate if they have no moving parts?

sennorita
2-May-2007, 18:01
How are disposable cameras able to operate if they have no moving parts?
anyone know? :( its for a project and i have no idea how.:confused:

Gene McCluney
2-May-2007, 18:23
I don't know where you got the idea that Disposable cameras have "no" moving parts, but they do have "moving" parts...just enough moving parts to work. The shutter moves, the film advance moves, etc.

Jim Galli
2-May-2007, 18:31
Actually the moveable parts are very cheap and plastic but they get recycled a few times. They get sent to a center after the film is removed and I think they just check them, sort them, and send them to be re-wrapped with new card board and sold again.

Dave Parker
2-May-2007, 20:02
Yep,

They have moving parts, we used to receive 12.5 cents each for them when I worked in the photography store as long as we did not break them when we removed the film to process them...but they have moving parts.

Dave

Brian Ellis
2-May-2007, 20:28
Well so much for that project. Now go to your teacher and tell him or her that you don't think the disposable camera question is sufficiently challenging because everyone knows that disposable cameras have moving parts. And you might even get a higher grade if you take the initiative and suggest changing the project question to "how are 4x5 pin-hole cameras able to operate if they have no moving parts."

Gene McCluney
3-May-2007, 00:10
if you take the initiative and suggest changing the project question to "how are 4x5 pin-hole cameras able to operate if they have no moving parts."

Ah, but they too have "movable" parts, as they have a door, or lid that opens to accept the film, and they have some sort of movable cover over the pinhole to regulate exposure.

Zach In Israel
3-May-2007, 02:06
If you go to a photo store where they know you, and ask they might give you a few used bodies. I got one from a store here and took it apart. I actually wanted it for the flash which I plan to use for some high speed photo experiments.

Brian Ellis
3-May-2007, 08:49
Ah, but they too have "movable" parts, as they have a door, or lid that opens to accept the film, and they have some sort of movable cover over the pinhole to regulate exposure.

No mechanical moving parts (as opposed to parts that move with the operator's hand) is what I had in mind but to tell the truth I gave about 5 seconds thought to my comment because it was just supposed to be humorous. I guess it wasn't.

Alan Davenport
3-May-2007, 09:00
How about a 4x5 pinhole camera? No moving parts, unless you count your hat.

Jack Flesher
3-May-2007, 09:30
Actually, some of the recent versions of the "disposable" camera are actually cheap digital cameras hidden inside a cardboard covered plastic box. As such they are completely electronic and have no moving parts.

Cheers,

Graham Patterson
3-May-2007, 12:38
I had a camera with no moving parts once.

Boy, was that one frame really dense.

8-)

Sylvester Graham
3-May-2007, 16:16
How is this about large format?

Oh I shouldn't have said that, I'm being a stickler. But let me point out, "sennorita" if your gender corresponds correctly to your name then you ARE THE FIRST FEMALE I HAVE EVER SEEN ON THIS FORUM. RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

Alan Davenport
3-May-2007, 16:20
How is this about large format?

Well, I suggested a 4x5 pinhole camera......

Sylvester Graham
3-May-2007, 16:28
Right, but that's not what the thread's about. (......)

Brian C. Miller
4-May-2007, 06:59
... you ARE THE FIRST FEMALE I HAVE EVER SEEN ON THIS FORUM...

Where have you been? Calamity Jane was fun.

Alan Davenport
4-May-2007, 12:12
Right, but that's not what the thread's about. (......)

Sure it is! You can make a nice 4x5 pinhole camera out of an oatmeal box. If that ain't disposable, nothing is.

Eric James
4-May-2007, 12:22
Sure it is! You can make a nice 4x5 pinhole camera out of an oatmeal box. If that ain't disposable, nothing is.

Perhaps this is what the assignment was really all about: "Describe how a disposable camera can function without moving parts."

Doug Kerr
4-May-2007, 18:59
Hi, Alan,

How about a 4x5 pinhole camera? No moving parts, unless you count your hat.

Of course, that means you can't take the film out of them.

rwyoung
7-May-2007, 06:33
OK, how about this for no moving parts in a pinhole camera!

http://www.papercams.com/gallery/photos.html

Hollis
11-May-2007, 18:28
If you unwrap the carboard off the disposable and then find the leads on the front near the battery you can short it out with the blade of a knofe or a screwdriver and make a nice popping sound (good flash too). Yeah, it got realy boring working in a photo lab.