PDA

View Full Version : Idea to stop "lounge only" type posters

Don Hutton
26-Apr-2007, 15:21
It strikes me that at least 50% of the traffic in the lounge is from posters who contribute almost nothing else to this forum except the endless politcal/religious drivel which seems to constitute 95% of what is the "lounge". I'd like to offer a suggestion - if the software allows - I have no idea how sophisticated it is - is there any way in limiting persons postings in sub forums like the lounge such that at least 50% of what they post has to be in other forums or they cannot access the lounge? There seem to be a "usual crowd" of forum sloths who really offer little else to this community except their petty political peeves which they obviously cannot find enough friends in real life to share with. It would at least encourage them to participate in the actual purpose of the forum (i.e. sharing info etc related to large format photography) or perhaps to disappear into a more relevant site elsewhere (or they could start their own like www.howsadami.com)...

paulr
26-Apr-2007, 15:24
how hard is it to not read the lounge?

Bruce Watson
26-Apr-2007, 15:30

Agreed. If all they want is to talk in the lounge, so be it. That's why we have the lounge in the first place isn't it?

Ron Marshall
26-Apr-2007, 15:33
Doesn't bother me, I can easily ignore the Lounge when a topic is of no interest.

Greg Lockrey
26-Apr-2007, 15:36

I find it very difficult not to peruse the "Lounge".:D I get most of my laughs from it from what is a usually dull day (night) of printing. Most of the "Loungees" I see are pretty knowledgable about photography as well. So what if their politics doesn't jive with my ideal world.:) The lounge can be therapudic, it allows one to blow off some steam.

Marko
26-Apr-2007, 15:38

Almost as hard as to ignore it, apparently. ;)

Kirk Gittings
26-Apr-2007, 15:43
I learn allot about who not to do business with from the conversations on the lounge. It is very useful in that regard.

Greg Lockrey
26-Apr-2007, 15:53
I learn allot about who not to do business with from the conversations on the lounge. It is very useful in that regard.

I can't agree with this statement at all....I've done some very good business with people here that I have'nt agreed with. Most everyone here are really nice guys. You can't always tell the "book by it's cover" so to speak.

Eric James
26-Apr-2007, 16:13
To each his own, I suppose.

I've found some lounge discussions entertaining and enlightening, but half of the time I end up wishing I hadn't become involved.

Canning the lounge might make for a more lively photography forum, with folks spending more energy on relevant topics, and less on Hillary and Bush. On the other hand, the lounge provides the moderators with a place to dump, rather than kill, OT threads.

Sheldon N
26-Apr-2007, 16:38
I'd forgotten that there even was a lounge, since I added it to my ignore list about 6 months ago. That has been a good move on my part, since it's hard not to read the topics that you know are "hot button" issues.

All you have to do is go to:

My Settings: Edit Options: Forums to Exclude from View (at the bottom)

The lounge will never bother you again.

Sal Santamaura
26-Apr-2007, 17:29
...I'd like to offer a suggestion - if the software allows - ...limiting persons postings in sub forums like the lounge such that at least 50% of what they post has to be in other forums or they cannot access the lounge...Anything that reduces traffic unrelated to LF photography here gets my vote. Those in charge apparently don't agree that The Lounge is inappropriate for this forum, so I'm not sure they'd go along with your suggestion. If you do convince them, three cheers Don!

Brian Ellis
26-Apr-2007, 17:39
I did what Sheldon did, about a year ago. In fact I had forgotten there was a Lounge. When you never see it then you too will soon forget it's there.

Ken Lee
26-Apr-2007, 18:09

THANKS !!!

Ben Chase
26-Apr-2007, 18:09

Bingo.

Ron Stowell
26-Apr-2007, 18:10
I also had forgotten the Lounge was a part of this forum. Guess I'll keep it that way--- forgotten.

Ted Harris
26-Apr-2007, 18:42
Let me add that we are in the processing of rewriting the Forum policies. We are definitely aware of the angst caused by some threads and posters in the Lounge and that is one of the topics adressed in the new guidelines.

OTOH, remember that the reason for the Lounge was to keep the bickering and political discussions out of the other discussions; to that end it has been very successful.

I gotta say that I find it amusing that Lounge threads are often the most frequently read and the ones that attract the most posts.

riooso
26-Apr-2007, 19:26
Thanks Sheldon. I get suckered into the lounge sometimes and always feel like I have soiled some part of me.

Thanks,
Richard Adams

BrianShaw
26-Apr-2007, 20:00
Let me add that we are in the processing of rewriting the Forum policies. ... to that end it has been very successful.

Why mess with success??

Frank Petronio
26-Apr-2007, 20:00
I used to participate in the lounge more, but it just gets boring... same old sh!t, different day...

But... it keeps this forum from turning into an over-moderated, squabbling mess like pnet or apug. Why isn't this OBVIOUS to everyone?

It's working pretty darn well IMHO, so I wouldn't mess with it.

Merg Ross
26-Apr-2007, 20:53
Yes, Ted, the Lounge threads are often the most frequently read and attract the most posts. They also have the least to do with large format photography.

Frank R
26-Apr-2007, 21:47
May I suggest that posters who have outside commercial interests (like magazines for example) be asked to limit there contributions to photography related topics?

It seems obvious that one poster in particular posts questions that are inflammatory in nature so as to generate a lot of free publicity for himself.

Another poster with a similar interest does not act in the same way. I think this is a better example of balanced use of the forum.

Dave Parker
26-Apr-2007, 22:11
I always find this type of suggestion interesting, I own and run several different chat systems devoted to other subject matters, and I can tell you, if you don't give people a place to vent, rant and bitch, you will have them venting, ranting and bitching in the regular threads on a forum, There is no way around it, fortunately this forum allows you to ignore that or any other part of the system you choose to ignore, it is called self restraint, if you don't like the conversations in the lounge, then don't read them, put that particular portion of the system on ignore, it is really pretty simple.

I have to say, for the most part, this is one of the least controversial chat systems I have ever been involved with, every once in a while, things go south, but really this is a well run system with pretty even keeled moderators that do a good job...I have no problem with the lounge, or for that matter any other section of this website, because I know for a fact, I have a choice to read or not read what I don't want to.

As far as the lounge revealing who to do business with or who not to, that is funny, a persons political feelings has nothing to do with the quality of product they put out, if most of us heard the stories or ramblings of most companies in this as well as other countries, we would never buy anything...political leanings have nothing to do with product quality..

Just remember you have the choice, to read or not read, and you have the choice to ignore certain posters, exercise your choices and you will be surprised...

Just my .02

:)

Dave

Sal Santamaura
27-Apr-2007, 07:26
...this is one of the least controversial chat systems I have ever been involved ...Right there is the essense of why I disagree with The Lounge. From its inception this forum was supposed to not be a chat room. It was intended to be a resource about LF photography in the form of an information archive. Thus the admonition to search existing threads before posting what might be a duplicative question. The Lounge institutionalizes the transgression of cluttering up an archive with extraneous material.

Kirk Gittings
27-Apr-2007, 07:29

By the way, I am not talking about Dave Parker. He makes a great product, that I use on both my cameras, and is a really decent guy.

BrianShaw
27-Apr-2007, 07:44
But... it keeps this forum from turning into an over-moderated, squabbling mess like pnet or apug.

... and these are NOTHING compared to what has become of the RangeFinderForum!

BrianShaw
27-Apr-2007, 07:46
... but really this is a well run system with pretty even keeled moderators that do a good job...

Yes it is and I, too, feel the moderators do a great job here!

Marko
27-Apr-2007, 08:04
Right there is the essense of why I disagree with The Lounge. From its inception this forum was supposed to not be a chat room. It was intended to be a resource about LF photography in the form of an information archive. Thus the admonition to search existing threads before posting what might be a duplicative question. The Lounge institutionalizes the transgression of cluttering up an archive with extraneous material.

People are only human (well, most people are anyway and some more than the others, but you get the point :) ) and it is simply not possible to have an honorary based free information repository system without people contributing to it feeling at ease with both the system and with each other, especially if the system is supposed to work in an interactive question-and-answer or discussion sort of way.

The expertise level of participants ranges from top experts to total or almost total beginners (at least in LF terms) and without some sort of social interaction it would be very hard or even impossible to make most people comfortable enough to ask questions and thus demonstrate what they don't know. The Lounge serves that purpose very well, IMHO, while being constrained to its own area and thus does not clutter anything.

Even in a totally academic environment such as the one you envision, there has to be at least one water cooler somewhere, doesn't it?

Kirk Gittings
27-Apr-2007, 08:57
I think Don's original point is that routine lounge posts about politics from people who virtually do not participate otherwise are basically spammers.

David A. Goldfarb
27-Apr-2007, 09:09
I think Don's original point is that routine lounge posts about politics from people who virtually do not participate otherwise are basically spammers.

Yup, that's it.

The Lounge is a good place for off-topic discussion that spills over from the other forums. It shouldn't be a back door for trolls and spammers.

I think it would also be wise to put a time limit on Lounge threads so they aren't archived long term.

Sal Santamaura
27-Apr-2007, 09:18
...I think it would also be wise to put a time limit on Lounge threads so they aren't archived long term.I endorse that too.

Randy H
27-Apr-2007, 09:39
Right there is the essense of why I disagree with The Lounge. From its inception this forum was supposed to not be a chat room. It was intended to be a resource about LF photography in the form of an information archive. Thus the admonition to search existing threads before posting what might be a duplicative question. The Lounge institutionalizes the transgression of cluttering up an archive with extraneous material.

Perhaps this thread should be moved to the lounge also. What does it have to do with LF Photo? Or is it OK since it isn't in "that place"?

Dave Parker
27-Apr-2007, 09:46
Perhaps this thread should be moved to the lounge also. What does it have to do with LF Photo? Or is it OK since it isn't in "that place"?

Actually, it is an appropriate location for this thread as this particular forum title is devoted to feedback about the website.

Dave

Randy H
27-Apr-2007, 09:51
Actually, it is an appropriate location for this thread as this particular forum title is devoted to feedback about the website.

Dave

I stand corrected.

Don Hutton
27-Apr-2007, 10:09
I think Don's original point is that routine lounge posts about politics from people who virtually do not participate otherwise are basically spammers.That's exactly the point I was trying to make... Thanks Kirk

Eric James
27-Apr-2007, 10:24
Yup, that's it.

The Lounge is a good place for off-topic discussion that spills over from the other forums. It shouldn't be a back door for trolls and spammers.

I think it would also be wise to put a time limit on Lounge threads so they aren't archived long term.

Well said David, and that's a good idea! If a thread isn't worthy of inclusion in the forum proper, why save it for posterity? If a poster feels attached to a lounge discussion he or she could save a static page just before the moderators recycle the bits.

Jim Galli
27-Apr-2007, 11:09
I think Don's on a witch hunt and would like to do some dunking. Sounds like the software writers may be working in the direction he is leaning. I rarely read any of that garbage and could care less. Who's got the time?

Pete Watkins
27-Apr-2007, 11:34
The lounge is really useful to those of us who like to research how some of our former colonies are getting on without our guidance. The constant posts by American magazine owners do tend to get tedious though.
Pete.

Don Hutton
27-Apr-2007, 11:42
The lounge is really useful to those of us who like to research how some of our former colonies are getting on without our guidance.
That is very funny....

Greg Lockrey
27-Apr-2007, 11:47
The lounge is really useful to those of us who like to research how some of our former colonies are getting on without our guidance.
Pete.

Aren't you now glad that they are "former" colonies?:D

Pete Watkins
27-Apr-2007, 11:54
Greg, Speaking for the ever deminishing number of us who can actually speak the language I'm extatic.
Pete.

BrianShaw
27-Apr-2007, 14:40
If only those who can still speak the language could properly spell the language. That would be really impressive! :)

Greg Lockrey
27-Apr-2007, 15:38
Greg, Speaking for the ever deminishing number of us who can actually speak the language I'm extatic.
Pete.

:D Pete, I was in the Navy in 1976 the 200th Anniversary of our little ruckus and had the great fortune of spending it in Portsmouth England. Our ship was berthed along the opposite pier from Lord Nelson's Flag ship. It was every bit as large as the Tender that I was on....truly amazing ship. I have to say it was the best 4th of July I ever spent with some of the most gracious people on earth. Drank all lot of ale and ate a lot of beer steamed cockles. A good deal of people here in the colonies didn't know that there is a 4th of July in Grand Britiania. ;) :D

David Spivak-Focus Magazine
27-Apr-2007, 22:20
To each his own, I suppose.

I've found some lounge discussions entertaining and enlightening, but half of the time I end up wishing I hadn't become involved.

Canning the lounge might make for a more lively photography forum, with folks spending more energy on relevant topics, and less on Hillary and Bush. On the other hand, the lounge provides the moderators with a place to dump, rather than kill, OT threads.

I'm curious, is the rest of this forum dead? From what I see, every single area of this forum is alive and kicking with relevant photography discussions. I don't know who would come to a forum to only go to the lounge, but if they want to do it, who cares?

Pete Watkins
27-Apr-2007, 23:31
Brian, I know that there's a "U" in colour, but we've been down that road before. Greg it's nice to hear that you enjoyed yourself in Pompey. You probably remember drinking Gales Ales, sadly the brewery was taken over by another brewing company (who should have known better) and closed with obscene haste. Since the expansion of The Common Market I understand that the City has become a Polish coloney. I don't see this as a problem, all the Polish people that I've met (a lot stayed here at the end of WW2) have been great company. I've seen The Victory and to be honest I'd feel safer on the Gosport ferry.
Best wishes,
Pete.

Mark Sawyer
4-May-2007, 21:58
Well, beyond just the basic Lounge, maybe we should add a place for discussions of "Lost" and "Star Trek", diet tips from famous photographers, and a Large Format dating site...

Greg Lockrey
5-May-2007, 06:02
Well, beyond just the basic Lounge, maybe we should add a place for discussions of "Lost" and "Star Trek", diet tips from famous photographers, and a Large Format dating site...

I don't think that would work....I think most of us are too old for "Lost" and "Star Trek". But the dating service and diet tips are a good idea.:rolleyes:

Scott --
5-May-2007, 08:00
My wife's into Lost. She's been trying to get me into it (I ain't too old!), but between House, AI, and Celebrity Fit Club, I've got too much TV in my diet as-is... :eek:

Greg Lockrey
5-May-2007, 08:24
My wife's into Lost. She's been trying to get me into it (I ain't too old!), but between House, AI, and Celebrity Fit Club, I've got too much TV in my diet as-is... :eek:

The only shows that my wife and I watch are the all of the Law and Order series. I especially like CI with Goren and Eams and the SVU series. The originals are good too. Must have seen each one at least a dozen times.:eek: When they aren't on, I watch the Discovery and/or History channel and a little of the Travel channel.

BrianShaw
5-May-2007, 09:16
... Celebrity Fit Club...

I'd be more interested in Celebrity FIGHT Club. :D

walter23
5-May-2007, 16:29
I shouldn't pay attention to it, but it's rare that I get to talk directly with foreigners about politics.

walter23
5-May-2007, 16:39

There've been about three or four of us involved in an ongoing war debate in there, but I don't think it's fair to label us as non-participants. I can't speak for the others, but the majority of my posts are in other forums on here.

Anyway, you can ignore the lounge if you don't like it. Isn't it better than having these things pop up in Lenses & Accessories or something?

I realize this is a large format photography forum, not a "the war in Iraq" forum, so I'm somewhat sympathetic with the idea that keeping stuff somewhat photography related would be a decent idea. Part of me abhors that idea though, because in real life social clubs people don't just sit around restricting themselves to very narrow topics of conversation. Obviously work is a different matter; you wouldn't bring up Iraq during a presentation on novel protein tyrosine kinase targets in cancer biology. But in most areas of our lives, we're doing other things *and* talking politics and things we've read in books and everything else. It's how we form opinions and an important part of democratic life.

Greg Lockrey
5-May-2007, 16:45
I shouldn't pay attention to it, but it's rare that I get to talk directly with foreigners about politics.

Hey, I'm not a foreigner, you're the foreigner.:p

walter23
5-May-2007, 17:03
Hey, I'm not a foreigner, you're the foreigner.:p

I'll bet you have a funny accent. You probably say "dallars" (denoting the green paper things) instead of "dollars" (denoting the blue, purple, green, red, and best of all, brown paper things).

It's nice out though; it's really time to go out shooting :)

Greg Lockrey
5-May-2007, 17:38
I'll bet you have a funny accent. You probably say "dallars" (denoting the green paper things) instead of "dollars" (denoting the blue, purple, green, red, and best of all, brown paper things).

It's nice out though; it's really time to go out shooting :)

Actually I say "Dinar"....:)

jnantz
5-May-2007, 19:49
I'd forgotten that there even was a lounge, since I added it to my ignore list about 6 months ago. That has been a good move on my part, since it's hard not to read the topics that you know are "hot button" issues.

YES!

walter23
6-May-2007, 11:56
Just added lounge to my exclude list too. Great option :)

Merg Ross
6-May-2007, 12:28
Ditto. A wonderful feature!

ljb0904
6-May-2007, 16:10
Hell, I didn't even know about the lounge. I'll have to check it out ;-)

sanking
11-May-2007, 10:37
May I suggest that posters who have outside commercial interests (like magazines for example) be asked to limit there contributions to photography related topics?

It seems obvious that one poster in particular posts questions that are inflammatory in nature so as to generate a lot of free publicity for himself.

Another poster with a similar interest does not act in the same way. I think this is a better example of balanced use of the forum.

Since you don't name the posters I can not know for sure who they are, though I could probably get hit on two of the names with three guesses.

As a general rule I believe it is bad business, and/or politics, to create controversy with inflammatory postings in order to generate publicity for your business, especially if that business is a niche photography magazine. There are without question some business that benefit from any kind of notoriety, but in photography most magazines are niche market publications and inflammatory discussions may well drive away more potential buyers and subscribers than they create in new business.

As for the lounge, I think it would be a waste of good brainpower to try to "fix" it. It is what it is, and if what it "is" does not appeal to you, don't go there.

Sandy King

Turner Reich
11-May-2007, 23:18
Is this in the Lounge? The world is a really big lounge so what's the problem; personal?

BrianShaw
12-May-2007, 07:50
As for the lounge, I think it would be a waste of good brainpower to try to "fix" it. It is what it is, and if what it "is" does not appeal to you, don't go there.

This is a great philosophy for many things in the real world, where we all generally exist. I think I might even consider having this saying tatoo'd on one of my body parts to help remember the difference between 'real world', 'ideal world', and 'fantasy'.

Greg Lockrey
12-May-2007, 08:04
This is a great philosophy for many things in the real world, where we all generally exist. I think I might even consider having this saying tatoo'd on one of my body parts to help remember the difference between 'real world', 'ideal world', and 'fantasy'.

I just can imagine where the word "fantasy" is going to be tattoo'd. Ouch! :eek: :D :D

steve barry
11-Jan-2008, 15:16
i have no problem with the lounge, at all. my only suggestion would be to not have anyones post, that is posted in the lounge, add to that persons post count. EDIT: nevermind

Skorzen
12-Jan-2008, 17:12
It strikes me that at least 50% of the traffic in the lounge is from posters who contribute almost nothing else to this forum except the endless politcal/religious drivel which seems to constitute 95% of what is the "lounge".

I'm sorry but I don't really see what the issue is. Sure there may be some trolls (this thread might even be seen as a passive form of trolling) but that happens with any online forum. I think the lounge serves its purpose quite well allowing members of this community who have come to know and admire one another to share and discussing things that are not necessarily related to photography. As for the magnitude of the issue... if the lounge was 90% (or even 10%) of the traffic to the forum then it might be an issue. At the moment out of 293 people 3 are browsing the lounge. so 1.02% of the traffic on the forum is the lounge (right now) this hardly seems like an issue to me.

Rob_5419
24-Mar-2008, 16:38
Shame to see this thread disappear, just as we seem to have a resurgence of the largest pack of w***kers on the Lounge forum resurface now.

It's definitely a good idea to hide the Lounge for users only - it would be embarrassing for the rest of the world to see how inbred and spiteful some of the little cretins posting can be. [I'll have to reconfigure for the Exclude option now that I know that's around.

Another vote for doing away with the Lounge. Why feed the troll? It's not a matter of ignoring the forum. Why condone such sick and irrelevant posting by the same bigotted names that keep on resurfacing there? Why is it...the trolls seem to want the lounge to remain?

Oops....feeding the troll. Looks like it's getting the better of us :(

David A. Goldfarb
24-Mar-2008, 16:43
I think I've had the Lounge on ignore for a year or more now. I don't miss it.

Rob_5419
24-Mar-2008, 16:49
David,

You're a saint! :)

I guess what riles me after being away for a nice break in the snow is finding out the drivel that goes on in the forum.

Although it's intended, the fact that LF forum permits the lounge, practically condones it. Stating a disqualifier isn't good enough. The views of the most warped being expressed there will still be seen by new members or those who happen to stumble on it, as reflecting the rest of the LF community. Which it is not.

Argh. I know my English teacher taught me never to finish a sentence with 'not'.

Ok - "Which it is not, really."

Sanjay Sen
24-Mar-2008, 17:06
I put the lounge on ignore, probably a few days after joining the forum. I don't miss it either.

hoffner
25-Mar-2008, 00:52
Idea to stop "lounge only" type posters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It strikes me that at least 50% of the traffic in the lounge is from posters who contribute almost nothing else to this forum except the endless politcal/religious drivel which seems to constitute 95% of what is the "lounge". I'd like to offer a suggestion - if the software allows - I have no idea how sophisticated it is - is there any way in limiting persons postings in sub forums like the lounge such that at least 50% of what they post has to be in other forums or they cannot access the lounge? There seem to be a "usual crowd" of forum sloths who really offer little else to this community except their petty political peeves which they obviously cannot find enough friends in real life to share with. It would at least encourage them to participate in the actual purpose of the forum (i.e. sharing info etc related to large format photography) or perhaps to disappear into a more relevant site elsewhere (or they could start their own like www.howsadami.com)...

COMPARE WITH:

Re: Your Real Name (and Date of Birth reminder)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whats so silly about it, it is a free website owned by someone who has chose to make what he states is his rules...if you don't like the rules, requirements or requests of the private owner, there is one simple solution, don't participate, period, the argument whether with or without merit has no bearing on the rules or requests of the owner, the person looking at participation is the one in charge, either you do or you don't...seems simple enough.. (By Dave Parker)

FUNNY, HOW PEOPLE CAN FEEL DIFFERENTLY ABOUT THE FREEDOM OF THIS SITE...

Clay Turtle
25-Mar-2008, 04:02
Actually for myself, I had little more than looked at the lounge threads until I posted some photos I had shot with the 35mm . . . the moderator moved them to the lounge so I posted there. I figured if 35mm photographs were not dealing in the area of L.F., then any statements dealing outside L.F. would be more appropriately placed there.
Another factor in my own usage is that it is more restricted to members only & therefore I try to apply that aspect where I feel the topic or statement requires it. I see it as a positive aspect, those (lounge lizards) post would probably come to show up in other areas if they weren't being stated in the the lounge area.

Rob_5419
25-Mar-2008, 12:31
That would at least be an appropriate use of the forum, rather than alienating others on it (which fandabydozy, it looks like I've accomplished singlehandedly as of today):

Personal attacks like this against someone like John makes me ashamed to be affiliated with this site. I've learned a good bit here, but I will never return.

The poster of the above comment believes a personal attack was made and in a melodramatic manner states he will not return. The originator of the Lounge thread does not believe he is racist, yet seems blinded to the fact that others see him as thus.

Here, an infrequent visitor, 2 years registered on the forum, and less than 16 posts to date.....states he's upset by what I've posted in one Lounge post. Yet say nothing of the racist views spouted throughout the thread. Oops - I've ignored the ignore Lounge Forum function again.

Why do the moderators let an original poster on the Lounge get away with Ad Homines attacks - on not one person, but a whole nation?

Do the moderators actually condone and approve of the diatribes and insulting opinions expressed in the lounge?

Tom Westbrook
25-Mar-2008, 16:15
One only has to look thru the pre-2006 posts to see what off-topic posts in the legitimate sections is like.

It's possible for members to block the Lounge and it is not moderated by policy.

Deane Johnson
25-Mar-2008, 17:23
If one is sensitive, they should stay out of places like the Lounge. That's the best way to not becoming offended.

Dave Parker
25-Mar-2008, 20:46
Idea to stop "lounge only" type posters

COMPARE WITH:

Re: Your Real Name (and Date of Birth reminder)

Whats so silly about it, it is a free website owned by someone who has chose to make what he states is his rules...if you don't like the rules, requirements or requests of the private owner, there is one simple solution, don't participate, period, the argument whether with or without merit has no bearing on the rules or requests of the owner, the person looking at participation is the one in charge, either you do or you don't...seems simple enough.. (By Dave Parker)

FUNNY, HOW PEOPLE CAN FEEL DIFFERENTLY ABOUT THE FREEDOM OF THIS SITE...

What is so hard, you don't like what the owner requests, don't participate, it is a free privately owned website, I expect people to follow my wishes when they visit my home and as a person that owns several free chats systems, I expect no less when people visit them as well..if you don't want or don't like the owners wishes, then don't participate..pretty simple, there is no freedom of speech when it comes to a website.

I do find it amazing, one of the moderators, closed the other thread, and you still had to bring this subject into another thread that had nothing to do with that subject, beings your new and most of your posts are of a flash point nature, I am sure, many can figure out your motivation.

There is no freedom to a privately owned website, the owner makes the rules, the visitors abide by them, or they go somewhere else, what is so hard to understand about that? An to address the subject of this thread, I have no problems at all with the Lounge, I understand the rules, and normally don't participate in that part of the system, I am in the one in control, not those that post in the lounge..as is everyone who visits this system, the person visiting is the person in control, you can pick and choose what your read, not complicated at all...

hoffner
26-Mar-2008, 02:04
What is so hard, you don't like what the owner requests, don't participate, it is a free privately owned website,...

There is no freedom to a privately owned website, the owner makes the rules,

Free or not, pick out one possibility and stick to it, you cannot have it both ways. Or, can you? It's a free website! Or, is it? Or, isn't it?

Dave Parker
26-Mar-2008, 05:01
Freedom and Free have two entirely different meanings when it comes to websites

hoffner
26-Mar-2008, 05:39
Do they? Oh please, let us not without further diatribes-explanations!

Dave Parker
26-Mar-2008, 06:23
Come on, have you reach such a wise old age, with out understanding?

Free, means you don't have to pay to participate...

Freedom, means you have the ability to post whatever comes to your mind

Did you have to pay anything to become a member of this website? "No" hence free website.

Do you get to post what ever you want? "No" hence no freedom, you have to work within the guidelines of the private owner that set up and runs this website..

Now, that it seems in looking at your posting history, your far more interested in arguments over camera discussions, so I will put you on the ignore list.

Have a great day.

Dave

hoffner
26-Mar-2008, 08:39
Did you say no freedom? Really? Seems, looking at your posting history you have been involved in more than one argument...
Have a great day, you too. Ron.

jetcode
26-Mar-2008, 10:04
Do you get to post what ever you want? "No" hence no freedom, you have to work within the guidelines of the private owner that set up and runs this website..

There is plenty of freedom here. The threads are generally on topic and I really get the power of community when people step up and offer their knowledge. The lounge is beautiful. This is where you get to see people outside of their LF craft. Everyone is coming from a different place. Sometimes the langauge and concepts are arcane, sometimes they are direct and to the point. I'm all for free expression in the lounge. The moderators do a fine job all around. Likely the most hands off forum featuring this much access to information on what we all love to do, LF imaging.

What's the problem?

Dave Parker
26-Mar-2008, 10:14
There is plenty of freedom here. The threads are generally on topic and I really get the power of community when people step up and offer their knowledge. The lounge is beautiful. This is where you get to see people outside of their LF craft. Everyone is coming from a different place. Sometimes the langauge and concepts are arcane, sometimes they are direct and to the point. I'm all for free expression in the lounge. The moderators do a fine job all around. Likely the most hands off forum featuring this much access to information on what we all love to do, LF imaging.

What's the problem?

Joe,

I don't have any problem with the lounge, it pretty much functions as it should, and it can be a fun place to play around with..my only point was when you participate in a system that is owned by a private owner, it is at the owner's discretion what is acceptable or is not acceptable...so there is controls in place to ensure things stay on topic..but again, I am NOT saying close down the lounge...

Dave

jetcode
26-Mar-2008, 10:30
Dave, my comment was directed to the entire thread not to you personally. I was inspired to write based on your post. I agree that QT and whomever else is generously responsible for this site has the right to regulate and as far as I can tell it's all here. I was even asking for certain features and it turns out they already exist.

This forum is likely one of the best I've seen in terms of layout. In fact I would like to license the software for use on other topics.