PDA

View Full Version : Digital instead of a polaroid

donniemczyk
25-Apr-2007, 18:09
I just purchased a Pentax DSLR with a 18-55 lense, I also have a selection of 35 mm lenses. What I want to do is use the DSLR to preview a shot before shooting with my Linhof 4x5. I need a reference to match the different 35mm + dslr lense combos to 4x5 lenses. I would set the dslr to match the 4x5 take a shot check it then shot the 4x5.

Gordon Moat
25-Apr-2007, 18:54
Do you want to use the D-SLR in place of a light meter, to check exposure? Or would you be using it to check placement of artificial lighting? Remember that a Polaroid can be larger than many camera LCD displays, and you would be taking the shot through the same lens/shutter combination you want to use to expose 4x5 film.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Frank Petronio
25-Apr-2007, 19:30
I use my dslr as a meter and preview device, but I find that I still appreciate using the Polaroid when I can rationalize the cost (ie better shots, or a change of conditions). The nice thing about digital is that I shoot less Polaroids and they are more for fine tweaks to the lighting and composition -- so whereas an old interior lit shot might have taken 5-6 Roids to work through, now I get it in 1-2. That's a huge savings!

donniemczyk
25-Apr-2007, 19:39
I would still be using my spot meter , using the dslr for checking composition thats why I need the 35mm, dslr to 4x5 lense reference. I have the following 4x4 lenses 90 150 180 210 300.If I don't have my spot meter I would use a 35 mm camera to meter the scene. All of my images are taken outside.

Kirk Gittings
25-Apr-2007, 21:52
If I shoot tethered to a computer, which I do when shooting interiors or studio, the laptop image is far superior to using polaroid in terms of judging lighting. But I still meter the film independently.

Gene McCluney
25-Apr-2007, 22:52
I sometimes use my DSLR to rough in the lighting before taking a Polaroid on the 4x5. Then a 4x5 Ektachome as the final product. A DSLR image cannot shot you the effect your 4x5 is giving in regards depth-of-field and sharpness.

Ed Richards
26-Apr-2007, 05:31
Since the formats are different sizes, I have not found the various tables matching focal lengths too useful. You might just do your own comparisons and figure what lengths make the best match for you.

Frank Petronio
26-Apr-2007, 06:01
I use a 35/2 on the APS dslr to "match" the 150 on the 4x5 but they really don't look the same at all. The feel is entirely different, even if you hit the corner points the same. Still it is useful.

Brian Ellis
26-Apr-2007, 07:43
I assume you mean you want to look at the photograph in the viewing screen of the digital camera in order to make a judgement about it's merits before commiting the photograph to film. If that's the plan I don't think it will work very well. I use a Canon 5D digital camera, which has a relatively large viewing screen, and even with that I can't really evaluate the photograph from an artistic or aesthetic standpoint by looking at the screen. The screen is just too small to provide enough detail for anything other than providing a very rough approximation of what the photograph will look like. Using the histogram to evaluate exposure is very helpful but the viewing screen is IMHO next to useless in evaluating the aesthetics of the photograph.

Harley Goldman
26-Apr-2007, 15:40
I used to try to use a digital P&S for a preview. Like Brian, I did not find it too useful. I think a 4x5 cutout is more useful for my photography to help with compostion.

big_ben_blue
28-Apr-2007, 12:45
One of the studios I work for, often uses a DSLR for previewing the lighting/composition of product shots on the computer instead of burning through Polaroids. They actually shoot THROUGH the 4x5 camera (with lens and back temporarly removed) to get a closer match.