PDA

View Full Version : 6x12 backs?

false_Aesthetic
23-Apr-2007, 07:47
Hey,

I've only used a Horseman 6x12 back ... in undergrad.

I'm looking to buy one. There are a few choices.

Sinar, Linhof, Horseman, ShenHao, GuaHua(sp?), etc.

I've pretty much ruled out the Sinar and Linhof backs because they're so freaking expensive --yes, I'm sure they're worth it but student loans only cover so much and I'd like to eat more than every 3 days.

I know and like the Horseman but it's also a little expensive. (I'd buy one in a sec if I could find it for $250)

This leads to the S.H and G.H. backs... The price is right, but I have concerns:

1) film flatness---'nuff said. I was satisfied with the horseman.

2) that stupid red window on the back---last time I used a red window it was on a holga...I had to put tape over it which is completely LAME!!!! Does this window actually block out enough light and what happens if you use color film? Will I have to tape this window too?

3) breakability--I'm hard on equipment. Sometimes I'm on my bike, sometimes I'm in my truck, sometimes I'm traveling down a non-road in Bolivia. I guess I'm afraid of one of these backs opening up. I don't want to have to tape them up like a holga.

Has anyone used these? Can you respond to my concerns? Any horror stories?

Thanks

T

Nick_3536
23-Apr-2007, 08:01
I don't know the current Shen but on mine the ruby window is TOO dark. Some films aren't useable the thing is so dark. Short of hitting it with a laser I doubt you'll need to tape it.

Built like a truck. You are more likely to break your leg then this thing. The design is very simple.

There are different versions. Some have reported light leaks but mine [I think an AB model but without looking I'm not 100% sure of the model name] has always been light tight.

David A. Goldfarb
23-Apr-2007, 09:00
I have a DaYi 6x17cm back (they also make a 6x12cm), and it does what it's supposed to--seems to keep the film flat and doesn't leak light, and it's a simple sturdy design. Instead of a red window, there are three open windows (for 6x9, 6x12, and 6x17 which you can do with masks) with foam around them to prevent light leakage, and there is a shutter for the three windows, to keep light out between film advancing.

DaYi has upgraded their design, and the new backs are being sold under the "Focus" brand. It is unclear as to whether these are the same backs as Shen-Hao, as there seem to be a number of small shops making such things in China. Info at--

http://www.focus-dayi.com/main.php

tombob
8-Jun-2007, 08:40
i have a 6x6 pinhole camera witht the red window and often shoot colour film in there, ive never had any fogging at all so it should be ok

see if you can try one out?