PDA

View Full Version : Benro Ball head

Muggs
19-Apr-2007, 16:27
Hello All,

Does anyone have experience with the Benro brand of ball heads from "you know where"?
Yes I know, I would love an ARCA but my wallet wants a Benro.
I'm looking at the KB-2 (2.1 inch ball).
Any thoughts I would appreciate it.

Muggs

Walter Calahan
19-Apr-2007, 16:35
What format are you shooting?

Anything or medium format, I avoid a ball head. My two cents.

Muggs
19-Apr-2007, 16:42
4x5 Wista DX II.

Thanks.

Muggs

sparq
19-Apr-2007, 16:43
http://www.tomwebsterphoto.com/Essays/Benro/benroks2.htm

Ole Tjugen
19-Apr-2007, 16:46
Don't know much about the Benro head, but I use a Giotto's ballhead (among others).

2 inches is a bit on the small side IMO, but could work for a 4x5" camera. I would (and do) use a larger ball not only for 5x7" and 8x10", but also for MF SLR! That big thunking mirror needs more support than all but a few 4z5" cameras...

Muggs
19-Apr-2007, 16:56
OK thanks all.

sparg, thanks for the write up from Tom Webster site.
That's what I figured but I never heard anything about them, but I knew that my friends here would have some insight, and you didn't let me down. I'll look at something other then Benro.
Ole thanks. I would probably use it for the Hassy as well.

BTW, Ole, I LOVE your photo in this months (last months?) View Camera Mag.

Muggs

Darin Boville
19-Apr-2007, 17:45
I have a KB-2 that I bought about a year ago from a guy on E-bay. Mine looks different that the one in the linked review--mine is grey with a milti-color logo sticker on it.

I haven't had the problems that the reviewer encountered (I've taken mine apart, too!).

When I got mine it was difficult to turn the panning base. I remembered reading about similar problems in astro gear from the Chinese so I took the unit apart, cleaned off the cheap lubrication and relubed with lithium grease. Now it is very smooth (wrote to the manufactirer and told them of the problem).

The only other problem I've had is the rubber on the knobs breaks and comes off--I re-glued mine and all is well.

I don't treat my gear with white gloves though I don't purposely abuse it. Don't mindmodifying and improving gear, if possible. I'm perfectly happy with the KB-2 head...but I have a hard time imagining its use with a 4x5 (imagining the use of any ball head, to be honest)! i use it with my Nikon DSLR system. I paid $107.

--Darin

riooso
19-Apr-2007, 18:05
I have a Toyo 45AX and I bought the KS-0 for my backpacking pod. I was surprised with the workmanship and it is a good product. It is a tad light for the camera but is a good light head. I do not know about the longevity but I simply can't afford an $800 or $1000 head. I do not shoot for a living and usage is not on the pro level. I think you will like the product. I would encourage you to go to the KS series, if possible, because it is a big leap in the materials used. Casted aluminum to A6061 machined aluminum which should be more reliable under stress.

Take Care,
Richard