PDA

View Full Version : getting the best out of a flextight x1

adrian tyler
11-Apr-2007, 11:08
hello all, i'm about to take the plunge and get a flextight x1 to start tacking the huge pile of 120 and 4x5 negs in my archive.

any pointers towards good reading material to study on scanning would be greatly appreciated...

thanks

adrian

lutherasmith
11-Apr-2007, 13:06
Adrian,

I don't have recomendations on books. There is an imacon group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/imaconusers/

The software that comes with the imacon has a nice interface. It is easy to see the image. The sharpening is set high even if you have it set to zero. I use a negative number like -60 for small negatives and -100 for 120 and 4x5.

Use the hardware resolution settings and you will get better scans.

If you set the histogram so you are not clipping the chanels you will get good scans to start.

Get a scan made on it before you buy. Sometimes these old scanners need some repair work.

Good luck,

Luther

Ted Harris
11-Apr-2007, 13:39
If you haven't purchased it yet and have not looked at the Kodak Creo IQSmart scanners, you should. IMO the IQSmart 2 and 3 easily outperform the Flextight x1 and the IQSmart 2 is almsot exactly the same price.

George Kara
11-Apr-2007, 15:03
I second the creo/scitex kodak suggestion by Ted. I have an eversmart ii pro which is an earlier model of the iqsmart and they are awesome.

adrian tyler
11-Apr-2007, 22:10
thanks for that ted i'll look into it today.

adrian

Ted Harris
12-Apr-2007, 06:42
Adrian,

It is often much harder to find a dealer as the Creo line is sold more into the graphics market. Let me know where in the world you are via email or PM and I can link you up with the right distributer if you need it.

adrian tyler
12-Apr-2007, 08:44
hi ted, thanks for the help, i've found the distibutor here in spain and have been impressed with the help and service, i'm taking your advice and going for the IQsmart2, taking advantage of tax free loans for new technology in small businesses so the paperwork'll take a while.

i hope to be up and running in a few weeks so i expect i'll have a few questions then if you don't mind!?...

Ted Harris
12-Apr-2007, 11:03
Adian, question away whenever .... and feel free to email me please. BTW, when you ae up and running I will have an IQ Smart3 inhouse so I will be able to answer very well. If you want/need we can also discuss stuff on the phone as needed ... I have very cheap ld service to Europe so no big deal.

adrian tyler
12-Apr-2007, 12:13
that's really kind ted, thanks... this has been a long time coming but i need to get to grips with producing my own exhibition scans (at least the smaller format ones), drum scanning is simply crippling me and i have so many negatives backed up that i am really looking forward to the challange.

lutherasmith
12-Apr-2007, 13:30
[QUOTE=adrian tyler;233651]..... i'm taking your advice and going for the IQsmart2, ......
i hope to be up and running in a few weeks.......

Adrian,

I am interested in knowing how this works out. If you are happy with the results, etc.

Thanks,

Luther

Ted Harris
12-Apr-2007, 14:34
Luther,

Stay tuned :). I currently run a Screen Cezanne in my studio and have a Creo IQ Smart3 on the way. I will have the IQSmart3 for a month or so on loan from Kodak while I put it through its paces for a review in View Camera. As I usually do with reviews, I will post preliminary/summary reviews here as well.

If there is anything in particular that you want to see tested please let me know.

Gordon Moat
12-Apr-2007, 15:13
Hello Ted,

Will you be testing wet mounting in comparison to dry mounted scans? Last I recall prior to Kodak buying Creo was that Creo included a wet mounting station with the iQSmart3.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)