PDA

View Full Version : Looking for LF photography course in ATL

bens0472
9-Apr-2007, 11:24
Hello everyone,

I've been doing digital SLR photography for some time, purely as an amateur, and while I love it as a format, I find myself constantly drawn to the idea of learning LF photography. I spend hours sometimes browsing used camera store websites and, especially, the Ebony catalog and can't shake the notion that I want to learn this passion of mine from the roots up. I don't have the money, right away, to go out and buy my own LF camera and I don't know really where to begin. I'm putting out similar 'feelers' to my local camera club, but I wanted to duplicate it here to see if anyone had any recommendations.

I'm in the North Atlanta area, in Roswell and I'm hoping to find some practical resource nearby. Does anyone out there have any idea where I might go for hands-on education in using a View Camera and developing B&W prints (for some reason, I'm especially drawn to the concept of contact printing from an 8x10, but I can't give any real basis for that except that the idea and what I know of the process simply resonates with me).

Thanks for your time,

Ben

walter23
9-Apr-2007, 22:36
Online sources are actually pretty effective at teaching, as are books. Ask questions here and you'll get tons of good information. Film development is also pretty easy and can be self-taught; you just need the right tanks and chemistry (look at the main page here for unicolor, for an idea of one cheap and effective method). Steve Simmons book (Using the View Camera - maybe I got the wrong title here) is good, and there are others (Jim Stone I think).

The good thing about contact printing from 8x10 is you can do all kinds of neat alternative processes (go check out www.alternativephotography.com and apug.org for more information) - cyanotype, van dyke, platinum/palladium, gum bichromate, etc. I don't want to mess with 8x10 cameras and film - the materials are too expensive, and its too bulky - so I use 4x5 and scan. I plan to start making digital negatives from my scans (ie, print onto tranparency material and use those enlarged negatives for contact printing).

Anyway, good luck finding some locals to learn from.

Kirk Gittings
9-Apr-2007, 23:07
How far are you from Louisville KY and this years View Camera Conference?

steve simmons
10-Apr-2007, 04:55
There are several books I recommend

Jim Stone's User's Guide to the View Camera
my book Using the View Camera

or Jack Dykinga's Large Format Nature Photogrpahy

There are also several articles in the Free Articles ssection of the View Camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

Our annual large format photo conference is June 28-July 1 in Louisville, KY. There is a link on the View Camera web site at the bottom of the home page. There are activities geared to beginners and more advanced lf photographers.

good luck

steve simmons

D. Bryant
10-Apr-2007, 06:28
Hello everyone,

I've been doing digital SLR photography for some time, purely as an amateur, and while I love it as a format, I find myself constantly drawn to the idea of learning LF photography. I spend hours sometimes browsing used camera store websites and, especially, the Ebony catalog and can't shake the notion that I want to learn this passion of mine from the roots up. I don't have the money, right away, to go out and buy my own LF camera and I don't know really where to begin. I'm putting out similar 'feelers' to my local camera club, but I wanted to duplicate it here to see if anyone had any recommendations.

I'm in the North Atlanta area, in Roswell and I'm hoping to find some practical resource nearby. Does anyone out there have any idea where I might go for hands-on education in using a View Camera and developing B&W prints (for some reason, I'm especially drawn to the concept of contact printing from an 8x10, but I can't give any real basis for that except that the idea and what I know of the process simply resonates with me).

Thanks for your time,

Ben
Ben,

1) First things first. In order to learn how to use a view camera you must have one. Simply reading a book doesn't get you there, although reading about view camera usage isn't going to hurt you either. Stroebel's book is a good start.

2) There are very few people in the Atlanta camera club scene that use view cameras. Are you a member of RPS? Cobb? SPS?

3) Spending money to go to the View Camera conference would be a waste of money IMO, better to spend it equiping yourself.

4) How much experience do you have with black & white film processing and printing? Ditto with sheet film. Camera clubs these days won't get you there either.

Some some thoughts off the top of my head this morning as I ponder my wife's flat tire.

Don Bryant

Ted Harris
10-Apr-2007, 09:34
To follow on from Kirk's earlier post. The View Camera Conference in Louisville the weekend of June 27th would be great for you in terms of a wide variety of seminars. Additionally, there is a LF landscape workshop that is associated with the Conference and will be taking place in the Louisville area that Monday through Wednesday. You can email Kirk or me.

Doug Howk
10-Apr-2007, 10:11
There are several LF Photographers in Atlanta region. Check those who post in APUG Southeast Region Forum (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum144/) for contacts. Also check out photography curriculums of area colleges - if they offer alternative processes courses, then they are likely to include LF.

bens0472
10-Apr-2007, 13:31
Everyone,

Thank you all very much for the quick replies. At this point, I'm open to books, if only because anything related to photography is my favorite subject for reading; however, I'm really looking for hands-on education. Although I am enthusiastic about the concept of LF photography, I'm equally as cautious about making any significant investment in the format until I'm sure that it's something I want to stick with and have the time to commit to. It seems such a wonderful format (all sizes) and I'm as fond of it for the quality of its output as I am for the crasftsmanship of many of its finer tools. Were there a reasonably inexpensive way to enter the format (a decent 4x5 body and all the accoutrements for less than, say, $350), I'd consider starting the process by purchasing my own equipment. Is that possible?

Thanks also for the recommendations on APUG. I'll follow up on that information and see what i can come up with.

All the best to everyone,

Ben

steve simmons
10-Apr-2007, 14:27
You can go to the View Camera conference just to go to the trade show and see a lot of equipment. Except for gas, food and lodging there would be no additional expense - unless you buy something. There will be more cameras,lenses, etc. there than perhaps any other place so you will get quite an education. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to meet a lot of photographers, see a lot of large format work, and get a lot of advice.

steve simmons

JWebb
10-Apr-2007, 18:33
Ben,

I believe you can rent a 4X5, Lens and Filmholders from PPR which is down off Northside drive. I know in the past I've rented 2 1/4 gear and know they carry large format as well as lighting gear.

Showcase Camera off Cheshire bridge and Lavista will hae a number of classes . You will nee to check to see iff they offer anything in the wayof large format or Darkroom processing.

On the north side (285 and I 85) theer was a place called Unlimited Darkrooms. Rental facility witgh a number of 4x5 enlargers and RC processing. They also had a coventinal Wet Darkroom where you could develop yourfilm and process prints using convential fiber paper as opposed to automatic processing with RC paper. It's been several years since I've used them but there usually was someone ther who can advise or even be hired to help you along.

Regards,

John