PDA

View Full Version : Kelty and |Gregory Backpacks

Julio Fernandez
25-Aug-2000, 15:00
Several respondents to the backpacks thread mention the Kelty and Gregory BPs. Most users, it appears, do not favor photo-backpacks. I am still not clear about the methods used by these respondents for placing the equipment within the pack and whether the components are individually wrapped and thrown-in randomly with in the pack, or whether they utilize other means for keeping the photo component s in place in an organized fashion. Foam, as used in first generation LowePro did a great job, however I am concern ed that using any foam, other than that used by LowePro could result in outgassi ng of the foam components and contamination of the lens surfaces. I am told tha t polyester foam is what LowePro uses. Would appreciate knowing how you have so lved these problems.

Douglas Broussard
25-Aug-2000, 17:54
I'm about to leave for a seven-day backpacking trip with a fairly new Gregory Palisade backpack. My Wisner , light meter, anda couple of lenses fit snugly in the bottom 'sleeping bag' pocket.

I hope that I don't sound overly cavalier, but outgassing hasn't even crossed my mind, and even though the backpack is new, I don't normally store the lenses inside of it, so I'm not expecting big problems.

I think a good answer to your question would be: store your lenses outside the pack if possible.

Roger Rouch
25-Aug-2000, 19:00
I wrap my Tachihara in a heavy shirt (focusing cloth). It goes in the bottom of the pack. My lenses, meter, loupe, are in a small stuff sack (all of the lenses are in separate rubber maid/tupperware boxes). And I use another rubber maid box for the my fim holders. And yes, it all comes out whenever I stop to take pictures. I keep all of my rain gear extra clothes, etc in separate side compartments to avoid the clutter. A while back I bought a roll of ensolite (closed cell foam padding) with the intention of constructing an internal padded system much like the "real" photo packs that would insert into my Gregory. I would intend to cut the ensolite to the propper size and glue it together with hot glue or rubber silicon. I also got some velcro to make the compartment sizes somewhat adjustable. I haven't given up on this, but the material that I'm still thinking about/searching for is some support plastic for a frame to avoid everything getting squished up. I've not done any overnighters yet, but think that might be harder. I have thought about it and have thought that I would stuff everything in where ever it might fit and then lash the Gregory pack on. I have a Jansport external frame which is very comfortable. When it came photo time, I'd reload into the day pack for short excursions. I figure an overnighter would take my pack weight over 60 pounds with the LF gear, and I just haven't quite got the courage to face that yet.

Julio Fernandez
26-Aug-2000, 21:50
Thanks to all that shared your experiences on packing and backpacks. You all live happily without photo-back packs. From my experience with the Super Trekker, and yours with Kelty and Gregory, it is worth a try.

John Wiemer
27-Aug-2000, 22:42
I have used a Gregory Wind River Pack for backpacking with a camera but never as an individual photo pack...my Lowe pack does that better, despite the higher co st. With my Gregory, I pack all the clothes, stoves, food, etc then a small day pack (Lowe Video Pack) loaded with my 4x5 camera and lenses wrapped in domke wr aps on top of the load. The Gregory has a top that doubles as a fanny pack wher e I keep the meter and film. If an opportunity arises on the trail for a photo, the equipment is readily accessible. When I set up camp, I carry the photo gea r (w/water) for day hikes, etc. Works well but the load can get heavy.