PDA

View Full Version : Dark Slide Handle Repair

MIke Sherck
29-Mar-2007, 05:51
I have a few older 8x10 film holders where the wire handles are missing. Does anyone have any handy tips on replacing them? I'd prefer something more permanent than making a tab out of tape... :)

Mike

Gene McCluney
31-Mar-2007, 01:26
If the metal strip containing the wire handle is missing, there is no replacement available. If the metal strip just came off the darkslide, then it "can" be glued back on. Also, it is possible to find replacement darkslides for still currently manufactured film holders. They would have the plastic handles. If you find these, they will be more expensive than scouting around for good used holders.

jnantz
31-Mar-2007, 18:17
mike

every now and again dagor77 on eboo has them for sale
you can also take a dremmel (or box cutter/xacto blade) and cut a slot on the top
and slip a piece of ribbon if you get in a fix. staple the cloth
ribbon so it doesn't travel in the slot, and write exposed, color it black ... or ??

good luck!
john

John Kasaian
31-Mar-2007, 19:20
Mike,

If you're referring to the little wire "bails" I don't think they are really neccesary, but if it bothers you, you could fabricate replacements out of an appropriate diameter steel welding rod (brass would probably be too soft) stick the ends into the holes and straighten out the bail with (little) vice grips or a similar tool. Good luck!

Greg Dejanovic
31-Mar-2007, 21:39
I replaced mine with round brass rod from a hobby shop. Just measure diameter of the wire bend it in a "U" shape as long as opening in the dark slide, cut about 3/8 of an inch longer on both sides bend wire in the middle feed it into open part of the dark slide and use pliers to straighten out the wire at the same time feeding it into the opening. It works like the original.

Greg

C. D. Keth
2-Apr-2007, 15:08
Aluminum armature wire for stop-motion animators would be about perfect. It would be very light and would be rigid enough, as long as you don't plan on bending the handle a lot once it's in place.