PDA

View Full Version : Ethical Dilemma

Annie M.
26-Mar-2007, 08:29
Some time ago while skating the loop on some of my old negatives an unusual surface
formation emerged in an image of stone cliffs it was very subtle and I had not noticed
it at the time I made the image... So last week when the tide was low enough that I
could return to the location and investigate I used the image as my map and I found
the spot... there quietly waiting was a large carved stone petroglyph.... It was like I
had discovered a Picasso in the attic and my heart felt as round as the moon... it is
absolutely the perfect spot for this creature to be (it is an animal) it is one of the few
places you can see the unencumbered curve of the earth in the oceans horizon line.

I have made calls to the museum & university, and inquired to the aboriginal
community asking if there are any petroglyphs in this area and there are none known
to be here...as the location is obscure and difficult to access I believe that I may be
the first person to encounter this creature in many many years... I also believe that
this is one of the creatures that were carved into the rock faces to call the other
creatures from the sea to the shore and because of that it was considered a place of
power by the ancient people that inhabited this area.

Now here is my dilemma.... do I tell or do I keep the location a secret? Who does this
creature belong to? Me? The aboriginals? The anthropologists? The tourists who want
to carve their initials on it? Should I photograph it... my understandins is that aboriginal spirituality makes reproducing the image of the creature taboo.

....just wondering what to do... Annie

Ralph Barker
26-Mar-2007, 08:41
Interesting situation. I think I'd feel OK with photographing the petroglyph, but would hold off "publishing" the image until more is known from the local tribe. Tribal attitudes about photography seem to vary. But, I'd think that the existence of the (potential) petroglyph would be of interest to both anthropologists and the local tribes. The scientists may be able to verify age, and thus the "authenticity" of the stone carving. (It might be a faux carving made in recent times by a non-tribal person.) And, the local tribes may have insight as to the historical significance of the figure itself. One question of importance, of course, is whether the land is "tribal" or not.

Annie M.
26-Mar-2007, 08:43
Yikes... I'm cursed. My machine crashed while posting and shows up as this garbled mess. Don't post it might get you too!!

Cheers Annie

roteague
26-Mar-2007, 08:50
I agree with Ralph. When you speak of the aboriginal community, I get the impression you mean Australian, in which case I would have someone from their community look at the image - they are a very superstitious people, and may be highly offened if it is indeed sacred. On the other hand, it may not even be aboriginal in origin.

Martin Miller
26-Mar-2007, 08:51
By all means photograph it both with your artistic sensibilities and with a mind to documenting every detail possible. There is no guarantee that it won't be discovered by some less sensitive individual and then your photographs would be the only documentation of its pristine state. Next solicit opinions from various people, like you are doing here. With photographs in hand you could discuss it more meaningfully with archeological/anthropological experts, and then make up your mind whether to reveal its location. What a sweet dilemma!

Annie M.
26-Mar-2007, 08:52
Oh it is the real thing all right... it is carved deep into very hard rock and it has been smoothed back by the ocean for what I assume may be a thousand years.

Ed Richards
26-Mar-2007, 09:10
Where are you? Depends a lot on the country. Is this on public land, or are you trespassing to get to it?

walter23
26-Mar-2007, 09:34
Should I photograph it... my understandins is that aboriginal spirituality makes reproducing the image of the creature taboo.

Keep it secret and photograph it and enjoy it for awhile.. and eventually tell a local museum or university... so that a proper record can be made of it before someone else finds it and destroys it.

It may also be a petroglyph carved by another tourist; an expert opinion might give you some hints about its true origin and purpose.

walter23
26-Mar-2007, 09:37
Should I photograph it... my understandins is that aboriginal spirituality makes reproducing the image of the creature taboo.

Keep it secret and photograph it and enjoy it for awhile.. and eventually tell a local museum or university... so that a proper record can be made of it before someone else finds it and destroys it.

It may also be a petroglyph carved by another tourist; an expert opinion might give you some hints about its true origin and purpose.

As for respecting the spirituality of the original creators; just be respectful of it. It's not your religion and you aren't ethically bound to ignore it. Just, you know, observe it and photograph it.

Also, if you've found it, I'm sure others have. There's hardly a square centimeter of this planet that hasn't been investigated by human hands. All the better reason to eventually report it to an archeologist...

tim atherton
26-Mar-2007, 09:39
I think Annie is in Canada

Bill_1856
26-Mar-2007, 09:40
Annie, I am more impressed with your attitude, than I am concerned about what you should do about the petroglyph. Go, Girl! Go!

tim atherton
26-Mar-2007, 09:45
BTW Annie, many mainstream museums have Aboriginal liaison officers etc as well as the usual anthropologists and archeologists - especially the Provincial Museums - that might be someone to seek out.

I know the one at the Provincial Museum of Alberta a little. She may know if they have any in BC?

GPS
26-Mar-2007, 10:51
Photograph it - that's why it has been given to you to see! But take the picture in such a way that nobody can guess where it has been taken. Then you can show it to the experts and still keep the secret for yourself..

Jim Galli
26-Mar-2007, 11:02
Annie, Bravo. It saddens me to have to say it, but if I found undiscovered petroglyphs here in Nevada, USA the secret would remain with me. We just aren't very classy folk these days are we. There are so many who would destroy. It boggles my mind, but I know it's true. Maybe I'm too close to Los Angeles and it would be different there.

David Karp
26-Mar-2007, 11:14
If you keep it a secret, and something happens to you, there goes the secret with you. If you announce it to the world, then it may be defaced by the rabble.

If it was me, I would try to find out who the experts on this sort of thing are by contacting a local university. Perhaps the anthropology department would be a place to start. You could begin a discussion with someone without disclosing the location. Not disclosing at all might deny someone a vital connection to their heritage. Maybe your find will prove that certain people traveled to places not thought possible prior to your discovery. You could feel things out before deciding to disclose.

Also, if it was me, I would photograph it. Not just for me, which certainly would be a major reason, but also because if something happens to it, there will be a record.

Very interesting. Many issues are raised. It is refreshing to hear. Lately, I have been dealing with many young people who have no concept of ethics. So many of them feel that if you can get away with something, do it, regardless of the consequences to others. Sometimes it is a bit of a downer. Good for you for caring about what is "right."

JW Dewdney
26-Mar-2007, 11:35
My grandfather was an anthropologist and his specialty was what is called 'rock art' much as you are describing. I don't know where you are, but if in Canada - he had many contacts at the Royal Ontario Museum, and I'm sure that someone there would know the right course of action. Let me know if you want me to give you some info.

kmack
26-Mar-2007, 11:42
I would do some discrete research into the history of the site with locals as well as contact the appropriate local authorities. You may find that the site is well known to a number of folks and it is not publicly known for just the reasons others have sited.

It has been my experience that there are no secret places, just places that others keep secret.

Take some photos before contacting local authorities. It has also been my experience that sometimes it is better to ask forgiveness than to beg for permission.

When you know more you will be able to make the appropriate decision on what to do with the photographs you have taken.

Scott Knowles
26-Mar-2007, 13:29
I would agree to those who recommend documenting the petroglyths (photos of them and the scene/location along with information) and location (map and directions) for your records and provide a copy to the federal and local agencies in charge of the property and aborginal affairs. They will know who to contact from there and how to protect the land for research and protection. They should also provide you with the protocols for publishing the images, which they should in a some form for the people to know they exist.

I wouldn't suggest keeping them from people charged with protecting them because it would, to me, be worse if others found and removed/damaged them before the site was known to officials. It also may add to the history of local aborgines and where that goes you don't know, but you'll be a discoverer of them. And your help will be appreciated by all who follow.

Good luck. And keep us posted.