PDA

View Full Version : xenotar mystery

docmaas
17-Mar-2007, 22:23
Some time ago I got a xenotar 135 enlarging lens. Later I got what was supposed to be a linhof select 135. I noticed when comparing the two that the linhof rear capsule was larger and thought interesting but that was all. Tonight I was testing lenses and after running a couple of 150mms, another xenotar and a fuji I mounted the 135 xenotar expecting to have to move forward to make the target the same size.

WHAT the heck! The image was larger from the 135 linhof xenotar than from the 150mm lenses. I took out the rear capsule and replaced it with the one from the enlarging xenotar and things were as they should be. So the linhof 135 is a 135 front capsule with something else in the rear. The question is what is it.

First clue it looks like it is in the 175mm range or longer with this element. I'm pretty sure it is a schneider because it look like the other schneider lenses. It measures 44mm in diameter, 25mm high and the cylinder from the outside edge to where it becomes conical is 15mm. It is made of brass and painted black and quite heavy, heavier than the xenotar 135 rear capsule. In addition the xenotar has two different size cylinders of about 46 then 44mm before the threads whereas this mystery capsule has just one cylinder.

It does focus but I didn't test it as I don't want to move my test bench right now.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Mike

Michael Graves
18-Mar-2007, 06:32
The image from the shorter focal length lens should be somewhat larger. You were seeing the expected.

Helen Bach
18-Mar-2007, 08:36
The image from the shorter focal length lens should be somewhat larger. You were seeing the expected.

I guess that it depends on what you mean by 'larger' or 'smaller' images, but I would have said that the image of a target made by a shorter focal length lens was smaller than that made by a longer focal length lens, if the lens position isn't moved ("...I mounted the 135 xenotar expecting to have to move forward to make the target the same size.").

Best,
Helen

Bob Salomon
18-Mar-2007, 08:41
" I got a xenotar 135 enlarging lens. "

You sure it is an enlarging lens? Not a taking lens in CF mount?

And a 135mm enlarging lens makes a larger print at the same head height then a 150mm enlarging lens. Nothing unusual here.

docmaas
18-Mar-2007, 09:43
Not sure what "cf" mount is. It came with the two elements in the linhof compur shutter.

I should have said the target was bigger not the image. On the 150 the target was about 1/3 of the image. On the lens in question it nearly filled the image.

The other good lens came in a lafayette press shutter without aperture blades.

Bottom line I still have an inappropriate rear element. I will test it later today.

thanks,

Mike

Bob Salomon
18-Mar-2007, 09:55
You have a taking lens not an enlarging lens. CF mount is without shutter. An enlarging lens is normally in a barrel mount. A barrel mount for a taking lens in called a CF mount.

Some enlarging lenses are put in shutters for macro photograhy use or for use with point light source enlarger heads.

You have a 150mm taking lens for a camera.

docmaas
18-Mar-2007, 14:49
thanks for the info on "cf" I wondered what it was called.

In any case I still have a lens with a xenotar 135mm front element and an unknown back element somewhat bigger than a xenotar 135mm back element that makes the 135 front element somewhat longer than 135mm and even 150mm and that is what I would like find out about. I'll take a pic of all the pieces later and maybe someone will recognize the rear element in question.

Best,

Mike

Jim Bright
19-Mar-2007, 02:55
Hi Mike,
I've got a 135 xenotar that is linhof select. The s/n is 9836984. The rear element on mine is around 46mm or so in diameter. The two length dimensions on mine are similar to your description. Shortly after I aquired it for cheap (some rear element separation) I ran across a good deal on a 135 sironar-s and haven't used the xenotar since. You are welcome to borrow it if you need another example for comparitive purposes.
Jim

docmaas
19-Mar-2007, 03:41
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the offer. I don't think I'll need to borrow one but if you or anyone else knows of a rear element for sale I would be interested in hearing about that. I have a line on one other xenotar 135mm enlarging/barrel lens.

thanks,

Mike