PDA

View Full Version : Help me import "Ansel Adams Photographer" DVD

Tony Lakin
16-Mar-2007, 05:39
Hi
I would like to get a copy of the dvd "Ansel Adams Photographer", when I tried to order this from "Ansel Adams Gallery" I was asked for $90:( to ship to the UK, would any kind soul be prepared to purchase and send me a copy for a realistic cost, I would pay them by Paypal and of course cover the charges for this.

Many Thanks

Tony Lakin

John Schneider
16-Mar-2007, 09:21
Tony,

Search for the book (video?) here (http://www3.addall.com/) and see if some of the merchants are willing to ship to the UK at cost. Hope this is a help.

John

Marko
16-Mar-2007, 09:31
Tony,

Even if you find someone in the US to ship to UK, you might not be able to watch it, as it probably has the regional limitation built in, not to mention different video standard.

Be sure you can overcome both obstacles before you spring for shipping.

Or you can try to find it in the UK (http://thekustore.com/kucatalog.cgi/PAC643?h5HF8mRu;;37). :)

Dave Parker
16-Mar-2007, 10:11
Both of my current DVD machines will play both PAL and NTSC formats..

Many of the new ones will.

Dave

MIke Sherck
16-Mar-2007, 13:33
Both of my current DVD machines will play both PAL and NTSC formats..

Many of the new ones will.

Dave

Yes but a lot of US made DVDs are only playable by a DVD player claiming to be in Region 1 (USA.) If he bought his DVD player in Europe then it's probably set to a different region and the DVD may not play. He really needs to check whether the DVD is region encoded before he buys. Or find a player which can be set to whatever region he likes. :)

Mike

walter23
16-Mar-2007, 13:49
Yes but a lot of US made DVDs are only playable by a DVD player claiming to be in Region 1 (USA.) If he bought his DVD player in Europe then it's probably set to a different region and the DVD may not play. He really needs to check whether the DVD is region encoded before he buys. Or find a player which can be set to whatever region he likes. :)

Mike

Yeah, even software DVD players (like on my laptop) have some kind of region mechanism built in, wherein they will let you change the region setting a finite number of times (a ridiculously small number too, like 5 times) before locking you into whatever region you last chose. In other words, this will allow you to move to Europe and take your laptop with you, but it won't let you just casually play a mixture of DVDs with different region encodings.

I'm sure there are nicer players out there that might handle it (VLC is a generally user friendly and simple player and I wouldn't be surprised if it played DVDs without worrying about region). But there may be something in the hardware / firmware that enforces the regional restrictions, it's not something I've ever looked into in any depth.

Ash
16-Mar-2007, 14:38
I don't think that's the issue here.

I had a 5 year old dvd player. It was locked to Region 2, PAL. I had the firmware updated and it played any region, and NTSC. Even VCD's and non-standard MPG's.

Most common dvd players available in the UK play multi-region AND NTSC/PAL.

Dave Parker
16-Mar-2007, 14:52
My DVD recorder, allows me to change regions as many times as I want, my player has 25 chances to change the region, before you have to download and install new firmware.

Dave

Tony Lakin
16-Mar-2007, 15:02
Hi
I can set my DVD player to NTSC or Pal it also has an auto setting which detects the format according to which type of DVD is inserted so I don't envisage having any problems in that respect, I also think I may have found a US supplier who will ship the Ansel Adams DVD at a reasonable cost, if this fails I will return to this thread.
Many thanks to everyone for their help and advise.
Regards
Tony Lakin

Tom Westbrook
16-Mar-2007, 16:38
You might try asking the good folks at http://ventanaeditions.stores.yahoo.net and find out what they would charge.

Tony Lakin
17-Mar-2007, 01:34
You might try asking the good folks at http://ventanaeditions.stores.yahoo.net and find out what they would charge.

Thanks Tom:)
I have asked Ventana for a shipping cost.
Regards
Tony

James Walker
17-Mar-2007, 14:30
Tony,

I'm in the UK too, and want to get a copy, but have balked at the (frankly ridiculous) AA store shipping for a single DVD. I'd be interested in finding out if you find a good solution, or in coming in with you if it makes shipping more sensible?!?!

Cheers,

James