PDA

View Full Version : KODAK 2D 8x10 camera restoration

hooverramone
16-Mar-2007, 00:13
Hi,

I'm working on my first camera restoration, which is also my first 8x10.

Reading a posting a couple of months ago, I learned how to remove the bellows from the rear standard (locating & removing the screws underneath the end of the bellows black cloth).

What I haven't seen is how to remove the bellows from the lens
board holder frame (the frame with the two narrow brass strips, the top one slides diagonally up for lens board removal).

It appears to be 2 wooden frames attached to each other.

I did locate & remove the screws from the backside (inside the front end of the bellows).

But, they're still firmly attached to one another.

I've tried using a brad (smaller diameter than screw hole) and tapping it lightly in hopes of separating the 2 frames.

No luck.

I then used a very small jeweler's screwdriver and hesitantly tried to work it in between the two frames and successfully made a few small scratches.

I stopped there and thought I should seek more help from here.

I just had a thought!

Are they glued together, and not meant to be separated?

I wonder?

My goal is to separate the two so that I can sand/strip the lens board frame without risking damage to the bellows.

It appears that someone at sometime made a shoddy attempt to refinish it (the camera), and what I'm trying to do is make it look "new" again.

I plan on keeping it and using it to explore the world of 8x10.

Any information, pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Hoover.

Ken Lee
16-Mar-2007, 05:01
Richard Ritter (http://www.lg4mat.net/page4.html) is quite familiar with 2D cameras.

He worked on my 5x7, replacing the bellows with a new one in red. He also cleaned up and waxed the finish, and made me an adaptor board - so now I can keep all my lenses on their small and light Linhof Technika style lens boards. He also made/supplied some missing brass parts.

He can give you excellent advice.

Brian Ellis
16-Mar-2007, 08:27
Richard added front tilt to my 2D. He's definitely the person to ask. I've never talked with him personally but hopefully he'd be willing to give you a few minutes of his time.

Ash
16-Mar-2007, 09:14
I just ran into my own troubles - the rear of my Kodak half-plate (similar to the 2D) has a rear swing, and I can't work out how to separate the two pieces for paint stripping and refinishing!

Dave Parker
16-Mar-2007, 10:08
On the front standard, the bellows frame is screwed to the lens board holder with 12 small brass screws that are hidden under the bellows fold, they can be a pain to get out, it took me a while to find them, but since then, I have restored 3 of these cameras, when you know where they are and use the correct screw driver, it will go quite well, you have to reach into the bellows from the rear to get to them, push the last fold away from the board and you should see them. Double check to see that you got ALL of the screws, I have never ran into one that was glued. But there are a couple of them that hide real good.

Dave

Turner Reich
16-Mar-2007, 22:18
I have three of the Kodak 2D cameras and sometimes the bellows will be stuck and will require prying off after the screws are taken out. Don't be afraid to just pry it off. It will not hurt anything.