PDA

View Full Version : Lens Shade, Part Deux

Rick Russell
15-Mar-2007, 20:07
I read with interest the recent thread entitled "Proper Shading of LF and ULF lenses"; I also read the article in Photo Techniques.

I am interested in exploring the possibility of more effectively shading my lenses. I own a 4x5 camera, with 4 modern lenses: a 75mm Super Angulon, a 110mm Schneder Super Symmar XL, a 180mm Rodenstock Sironar S and a 300mm Nikon M. All are multi-coated. Having migrated from 35mm three years ago, I kept my 77mm filters, and use step ups to attach the filters to the lenses when needed. I also own a Cokin P filter holder.

At a local camera store I looked at the Lee bellows, but found that the filter sized they use are 100mm as opposed to I believe 84mm for the split graduated filters I presently use. I also looked at the Cokin P350, for which I could utilize my present equipment.

My questions are: 1.) Has anyone else used the Cokin bellows and if so, for what lenses, i.e., how wide of a lens can I use with the bellows; and 2.) Will there be a significant difference in contrast using bellows with modern multicoated lenses?

Thanks to any and all who can shed some light (bad pun intended)!

Rick Russell
richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com

naturephoto1
15-Mar-2007, 20:24
Rick,

Look at or into the Lee Cokin P hood. I have one on order. Lee USA is out of stock. Some stores have them in stock. Much less expensive than the Cokin. We can not figure out why the Cokin (red bellows???) is so expensive. I discussed the Cokin and the Lee Cokin P Hood with the people at the Filter Connection. They recommended the Lee, but I have been waiting for the hood and apparently we will for several more weeks, unless I cancel the order and purchase it elsewhere. By the way, we are under the impression that Camera Bellows in the UK makes the Lee.

Rich

Helen Bach
16-Mar-2007, 05:19
One of the advantages I find with the standard Lee hood is that you can fit mattes/baffles to the front of it - it has a pair of rails that will hold a black card baffle, and permit the baffle to be moved vertically or horizontally. This is an advantage with longer lenses, and the baffle can be cut to match the format aspect ratio of the film.

Best,
Helen

Robert Ley
16-Mar-2007, 13:30
Just checked and the Lee/Cokin P bellows shade is in stock at B&H, $59 plus shipping.

Ted Chambers
16-Mar-2007, 16:08
I have the Lee hood. It was not clear to me, either, what advantage the Cokin hood had. The Cokin hood does have a built-in filter holder, whereas the Lee fits on the front of the Cokin holder. Other than that they do the same thing. I haven't actually seen the Cokin hood so I can't speak to the construction of the two, but the Lee seems adequate for its job.