PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff Question

Z1X4Y7
4-Jun-2000, 17:32
I bought a used 8 x 10 Deardorff way back in 1977. It was in like new condition [bellows were and still are tight] and included a lens [fungal damage to the elements; will need to be replaced], a back, and a nice wooden tripod. At the time I didn't buy it to use [I had other equipment]. I bought it because they only wanted $50 for the whole outfit. I figured that I would get it operational sometime in the future.

Twenty three years later is "sometime". The one problem is that it came with a 4 x 5 reducing back. I would like to find an 8 x 10 back. So far I haven't had that much luck. You folks know more about this stuff than I do. Got any suggestions of where to look.

Thanks in advance,,

Z1X4Y7
4-Jun-2000, 19:22
By the way:

From the information here:

Deardorffcam (http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/Deardorffcam/indexa.html)

it was made in the late 50's.

Once again,

Thanks,,,,,,

Z

neil poulsen
4-Jun-2000, 19:38
There's a Deardorff back in good condition currently up for bid on EBay. Check the large format section; I believe this back is one of the featured items. Get it while you can. Usually, you don't find an 8x10 back without the camera.

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
4-Jun-2000, 19:51
I should think an e-mail or phone call to the used equipment dealers here:

http://www.greenspun.com/boohoo/related.tcl?page_id=LFcommercial

would be a good place to start. There's always the classifieds in View Camera or Shutterbug.

Keith Canham, Ron Wisner, the folks at Lotus and Patrick Alt, not to mention Ken Hough would probably all oblidge you, for a price.

Z1X4Y7
4-Jun-2000, 20:57
Thanks for the help. I will give it a try. I got it at a rural estate auction. The guy said no one around here has any use for an old fashioned wooden camera. I have to get rid of it. Give me $50 and it is yours.

To be honest, I've been using a monorail and I'm going to order a 4 x 5 pocket expedition this year. I really don't know what Deardorffs go for. I just thought it would be nice to get it working. I could use it from time to time.

Once again,

Thanks,

Z1X4Y7
4-Jun-2000, 22:21
Neil:

I checked ebay. I know the folks selling this. I think I'll pass and look elsewhere.

Best wishes,,,

Z

neil poulsen
5-Jun-2000, 03:42
Don't know if they have one, but another possibility is the Photo Emporium. (www.photoemporium.com) They claim to have purchased all the spare parts when Deardorff went out of business. They may also have a spare 8x10 back. neil

james mickelson
5-Jun-2000, 21:20
Get a copy of View Camera Magazine and look through the dealers ads like photo-reprographics or Midwest Photo Exchange. There are always backs for sale there. James