PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry a backup?

walter23
14-Mar-2007, 19:17
I was out shooting tonight, had my shot all set up, sun just above the horizon in some mixed cloud bands... hard to predict what would come next in terms of light as the clouds were moving around a fair bit. Anyway, a brief bright red glow appeared, and I messed up - pulled the dark slide with the preview lever open. I was on my last two sheets of loaded slide film (I'd taken a couple of other shots earlier). Pulled out the wasted sheet and set up the other side of the holder, and the light faded out as the sun went behind a cloud band. I waited a bit, it got almost as good, and I deliberated and hummed and hawed and stared at the horizon to decide if it would get better, stared at my meter readings, etc, and finally decided to just take the shot with good but not great light. Moments after, with my last slide exposed, the firey red glow reappeared and lit everything with reddish-orange light while the snow shadows stayed a deep blue. The colours were intense, perfect, better than I could have hoped for. But I had nothing but some B&W sheets left.

So...

Do you guys carry backup? A digital SLR, or a medium format loaded with rollfilm, or a 35mm SLR, or anything else? Or do you just rely on not screwing up and making sure you time things properly? Today while staring at all the fantastic light I was really wishing I could just yank my dead-in-the-water view camera off the tripod and pop my DSLR in place and get the shot in at least one format. But I didn't have it.

Kirk Gittings
14-Mar-2007, 19:35
I own Hassleblads, dslr's etc., but none of them are an acceptable back-up to a 4x5 to me.

I always bring 3 times as much film as I think I will need. That is my backup. I do bring backups of readyload holders, cable releases etc.

Walter Calahan
14-Mar-2007, 19:35
I always have a small digital point-n-shoot.

Fortunately I've never had a screw-up with my LF system in the field.

eric black
14-Mar-2007, 19:38
Ive had a couple of "so called" missed opportunities- sometimes its just not meant to be- no backup though- my 4x5 is heavy enough to get out into the field

walter23
14-Mar-2007, 19:39
This isn't the first time I've run low on film. Carrying a bit more (or loading the holders after I've decided what I'm going to go shoot so I have the right types) would be a good idea, I guess. If I'd had velvia or ektachrome in those other holders...

But yeah, sometimes it just doesn't come together. I've lost shots to similar screwups with my digital slr (eg, too cold & battery fails).

Gordon Moat
14-Mar-2007, 19:44
Sort of like Kirk, I always have extra film and extra holders. Worst case is I can use roll film in my Linhof back, though that would be cropped down from 4x5. I cannot recall running out of film on a shoot ever.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Greg Lockrey
14-Mar-2007, 19:44
I always have a small digital point-n-shoot.

Fortunately I've never had a screw-up with my LF system in the field.

We used to say, "you can't screw up if you don't do anything". :D

r.e.
14-Mar-2007, 21:30
The colours were intense, perfect, better than I could have hoped for. But I had nothing but some B&W sheets left.

Why didn't you use them...

roteague
14-Mar-2007, 21:51
I normally carry extra film, the type of light you describe is a fairly normal occurrence here, so it is best to be prepared. Occasionally, I'll carry my Nikon F5 with me as well. I have a DSLR, but I don't like it much, so I don't carry it much.

Leonard Metcalf
15-Mar-2007, 01:45
Lucky that you can remember it then. Some of my best photographs were never taken, but are just beautiful memories. If you were concentrating on the photograph so much you may have missed that moment. :)

GPS
15-Mar-2007, 03:16
Sunsets and sunrise are all quick events. As Gordon said, a roll film holder is very appropriate for these situations. I have all the formats up to 6x24 camera and roll film holders are never missing in my equipment. Just a question of planning and experience.

Ron Marshall
15-Mar-2007, 03:17
I carry extra film, extra light-meter batteries, extra lenses. Anything else won't give me what I want from 4x5 or 5x7.

Gary Smith
15-Mar-2007, 04:41
I carry extra film, and also a medium format body either a Bronica ETRSi or a Mamiya 7. Sometimes two light meters as well, along with extra batteries and one or two roll film backs for the 4x5. There have been enough times, where having the MF camera along helped me get another chance at a picture I wouldnt have been able to take otherwise.

Gary

Brian K
15-Mar-2007, 04:57
It all depends on how I'm traveling, if it's drive only trip then I bring two complete camera systems, a sinar F2, 2 Sinar zoom backs and about 10 lenses and now a Fotoman system consisting of 3 bodies and 4 lenses, or previously a Fuji GX617 system.

If it's a fly/drive trip I give great thought as to the types of lenses I'd need. My current longest lenses on the Fuji GX617 is 300mm, and on the Fotoman is a 270mm (a 360mm tele nikkor is being added). While these cameras usually have long enough lenses for most situations I often shoot with a 500mm and because of that tend to take the Sinar as my one camera only system. I have enough redundancy in the lenses because they are spaced closely so that if one lens should fail me, I'll just use the next wider one and crop the image. My backup for the roll film back is carrying 2 Sinar Zoom backs (a I and a II) and a quickload holder, I carry 2 meters, a ZoneVI and a pocket spot. The only redundancy I don't have is the Sinar F2. I bring an extra GG just in case, but in general I rely on the robustness of the sinar itself. In all these years I have never had one break on me.

Ole Tjugen
15-Mar-2007, 05:57
I normally carry an extra camera...

Quite often when I'm out shooting LF I bring along a little 6.5x9cm plate cameras as well, just in case. If MF, I bring a small Zeiss Ikon 645 folder as backup.

Greg Lockrey
15-Mar-2007, 06:09
I carry a .454 Casul in case I miss the vitals on a 300 lb. wild boar with my .54 TC Scout black powder pistol and he gets pissed.:eek:

Oops....wrong thread.:o

Bill_1856
15-Mar-2007, 06:14
Sunsets should be enjoyed, not photographed. Besides, someone has already done it, better than you ever will.

Ole Tjugen
15-Mar-2007, 06:17
Sunsets and sunrise are all quick events.

Not around here, they're not. If sunsets and sunrises are too quick to reload the holders, you live too close to the equator. :D

gregstidham
15-Mar-2007, 07:02
I take a Calumet 6x7 back with me most of the time. I like using it with my view camera, so I don't really think of it as a backup, but I have had times when I ran out of holders and it was nice to have it along. :)

Brian C. Miller
15-Mar-2007, 07:28
Have you thought about either ReadyLoads or QuickLoads? Chuck the sheet, slap in another one, try again.

Salty
15-Mar-2007, 08:22
I carry a TLR and a couple of lenses for backup, but this string reminds me that I must buy a spare 8x10 and 4x5 GG.

Ralph Barker
15-Mar-2007, 08:49
My 8x10 often brings his little buddy along, but they respect each other's strengths and weaknesses. With anything much more complex to set up, the "second-chance" light will usually be gone, too.

Unless, that is, one lives in the Ole Zone. ;)

. . . If sunsets and sunrises are too quick to reload the holders, you live too close to the equator. :D

Bill_1856
15-Mar-2007, 08:51
I apologize for the earlier uncalled for, catty, remark. Now to answer your question: For years I always carried a Minox with ISO400 B&W, and/or an Olympus XA with ISO200 color negative film. Now, I've retired these and for the past four years I've only carried a tiny 3 MP Minolta Xt digital in my shirt pocket. This makes a really sharp 8x10 that my Minox never could, and gives me a f:2.8 3X zoom lens, choice of color or B&W, ISO 50-400 in one package.

BrianShaw
15-Mar-2007, 08:56
I don't usually carry a backup, even when shooting 35mm. I try to think ahead and make sure my equipment is ready and reliable... and that I've packed/loaded enough of the film I'll want. Still, I've had a fair share of "disappointments".

Nick_3536
15-Mar-2007, 09:02
Back up release cable.

If a smaller camera could be a backup why am I hauling half of the world on my back?

If I carry a smaller camera it's for different things. I wouldn't call it a backup.

walter23
15-Mar-2007, 10:03
Why didn't you use them...

I did take the shot on B&W, but it wasn't what I had in mind. I was out specifically to shoot the colours.

walter23
15-Mar-2007, 10:05
Lucky that you can remember it then. Some of my best photographs were never taken, but are just beautiful memories. If you were concentrating on the photograph so much you may have missed that moment. :)

That's true. I really did enjoy it. Moments after the glow faded, a pack of coyotes started barking and howling. It was really cool.

Sunsets should be enjoyed, not photographed. Besides, someone has already done it, better than you ever will.

We might as well pack everything in then. I won't take this comment personally because it's one that I recognize applies to almost every photographer alive today, and one that I've banged myself over the head with and found a solution to. My solution: Who cares! You enjoy yourself, you get great images you can distribute to people in your local little niche, you learn things. Shoot cliches all you want. In fact, master them, so that you'll have some tools available for any possibly more creative things you might one day try.

But who said I was shooting the sunset anyway? I was using the light coming off of it and through the atmosphere, but I usually prefer to leave the sunset to its lonesome self at my side or back. If you ask me, sunsets are big colourful distractions designed to keep people from getting the great pictures resulting from the funky coloured light they throw off. ;)

And this one would have been very nice.

GPS
15-Mar-2007, 11:10
Not around here, they're not. If sunsets and sunrises are too quick to reload the holders, you live too close to the equator. :D

Smart, eh?:) While it is true that up there you can watch the sunset a whole day (90° latitude, don't forget to carry your camera there...) the apparent speed in degrees is the same everywhere on the Earth. While you watch your long lasting sunset the sun (you in fact) still turns its 15° per hour - sideways, not up and down but that is still a movement that your camera must count with. You can't have the best of both worlds, not even up there :)

Rory_5244
15-Mar-2007, 12:40

Very funny. :mad:

naturephoto1
15-Mar-2007, 12:42
Very funny. :mad:

But Rory,

At least you have warm weather basically year round. ;) :eek:

Rich

David A. Goldfarb
15-Mar-2007, 12:43
When I'm shooting large format, I don't feel the need to carry a backup camera. I usually have several lenses, so if a shutter jams, I always have other lenses. I have spare cable releases, because those are more likely to break. If I had an issue with having enough film, I'd sooner carry more film than another camera system. I won't say that I've never broken a groundglass, because if I do, then I know I'll break one tomorrow, but I do try to keep the glass protected. In the unlikely event that I broke the glass on my Technika (it has a fresnel screen and a folding hood protecting it), I could always use the rangefinder. I often carry gaffer's tape, which can fix a surprising number of things temporarily.

George Stewart
15-Mar-2007, 12:47
When shooting 4x5, I generally have my trusty Contax TVS II which is being used less and less as I use digital more and more. A small pocket digital camera is great for instant gratification.

naturephoto1
15-Mar-2007, 12:57
I have only had a camera fail on me twice. Once when one of the focusing springs broke on my Linhof Super Technika IV 4 X 5 and the other time when I found that the infinity focusing was found to be off on my Leica R4S (modified to basically an R4SP; only had brought the single Leica). In the first instance, I believe that I had Leicas with me, but it was no fun dismantling the Linhof on the Picnic Table in Shenandoah NP during the week long trip. We were able to get the camera to focus and operate (but not quite as it should). Upon returning home, the camera was subsequently dropped off at Marflex. In the second instance, I had my Linhof Technikardan 45S with me and I had my father overnight my R4SP to me in Zion NP for my continued shooting for my month long trip in Utah. The failed Leica was returned to Leica USA for adjustment. Another time, prior to the problem with the infinity focus being off, I had dropped the camera with a 35mm Sumicron lens to the pavement while in a camera bag. The camera mount and the lens mount needed to be replaced by Leica. Thank goodness I had other Leicas with me.

I always carry extra lenses, but I generally will have at least a second camera with me even if it is a different format to avoid a total loss of a photo trip.

Rich

Kirk Keyes
15-Mar-2007, 13:07
Nope, I just try to have lots of Quickloads handy. I sometimes sneak them into my wife's backpack... just in case.

Jack Flesher
15-Mar-2007, 13:49
I always carry lots of extra film for 4x5 since readyloads are compact and easy to carry. I also keep a 4x5 reducing back for my 8x10 just in case something happens to the main 4x5 -- and have been known to keep a second 4x5 handy. If I am in an unusual location and feel the light might hapen fast, for insurance and maximum efficiency, I might set up two cameras to be fully prepared just in case. Of course I always have a DSLR with me too.

John Bowen
15-Mar-2007, 15:20
I always pack more than twice as much film as I could ever shoot in a day. Extra lenses, cameras etc. when I am on a photo trip. I never know what I might break!

The one item I could definitely use an extra of is a digital camera, I bought my wife a nice one a couple years ago and everytime I pick it up the #$@# batteries are dead!
Thank god for the Nikon!

walter23
15-Mar-2007, 15:36
I do wish readyloads / quickloads were available around here. I'd probably keep a small rotating stash of them in my bag just for emergencies.

jnantz
15-Mar-2007, 15:59
i sometimes bring a rail camera and a speed graphic as a backup ...

Sheldon N
15-Mar-2007, 19:34
I carry an Olympus XA loaded with color negative film - only to show "The one that got away" when I screw up with my 4x5.

John Ramsay
16-Mar-2007, 06:37
Use your B&W, print on FB grade 2. Develope a bit short and hand color the print from memory. Have your hand colored original reprinted on canvas, sell them for huge $$$ as limited edition prints, make occassional card sets to pick up some beer money. Finally sell the original to a fine art collector. Follow this procedure a few thousand times and retire. Just a thought :D
John

Robert Hughes
16-Mar-2007, 06:56
I keep a spare girlfriend in the back seat in case it's too dark to shoot.:D

Not really. I carry a folding 6x6 Agfa Isolette for those shots that don't yet warrant the time & effort to setup the big camera, but I'm considering their potential.

Colin Graham
16-Mar-2007, 07:15
I bring crayons and a sketch pad. :-] Seriously, like Kirk said, lots and lots of film is the best security.

walter23
16-Mar-2007, 10:27
Use your B&W, print on FB grade 2. Develope a bit short and hand color the print from memory. Have your hand colored original reprinted on canvas, sell them for huge $$$ as limited edition prints, make occassional card sets to pick up some beer money. Finally sell the original to a fine art collector. Follow this procedure a few thousand times and retire. Just a thought :D
John

If someone could hook me up with the right people to market my lowly efforts, I'd be on that like a fly on rotting meat. ;)

I keep a spare girlfriend in the back seat in case it's too dark to shoot.:D

Hah, that's an even better idea. As a bonus, if my wife found out, she'd no longer be angry about my camera gear purchases (actually she's very supportive, this is just the obvious joke to make here).

Vaughn
16-Mar-2007, 11:23
No, I can only afford one 8x10 camera. But I do toss in a Luna pro meter in case my Pentax spot meter craps out.

While bike-youring in NZ for 5 months with a 4x5 and one lens, I did carry a pinhole for the 4x5 "just in case".

Vaughn

Robert Coenen
16-Mar-2007, 11:24
If a smaller camera could be a backup why am I hauling half of the world on my back?

If I carry a smaller camera it's for different things. I wouldn't call it a backup.

I truly agree... I try to plan ahead for most contingencies. But I do bring my digital SLR with me... If for no other reason than to prove I was there and that I may have had the chance to capture a nice image on film (so I could really screw it up in the developing and printing).

walter23
16-Mar-2007, 11:33
I truly agree... I try to plan ahead for most contingencies. But I do bring my digital SLR with me... If for no other reason than to prove I was there and that I may have had the chance to capture a nice image on film (so I could really screw it up in the developing and printing).

I'm not really shooting 4x5 for the quality alone, although I really do appreciate it. I am reasonably happy with a lot of stuff from my lowly 350D if I don't print too big. It's just that when I'm out with the 4x5 I'm in a different mindset, which is what I like about it. That and the movements.

Having said that, if I could have a second chance to get a once-in-a-decade image on a DSLR because I screwed up my film rationing, I'd be happy to do so. I'm just not so sure I want the extra baggage.

Robert Coenen
16-Mar-2007, 12:05
I'm not really shooting 4x5 for the quality alone, although I really do appreciate it. I am reasonably happy with a lot of stuff from my lowly 350D if I don't print too big. It's just that when I'm out with the 4x5 I'm in a different mindset, which is what I like about it. That and the movements.

Having said that, if I could have a second chance to get a once-in-a-decade image on a DSLR because I screwed up my film rationing, I'd be happy to do so. I'm just not so sure I want the extra baggage.

Oh please, don't take my post wrong. I'm not saying that I never use my DSLR for my "art photos". If I don't have the 20 minutes it currently takes me to set up my LF gear I am more than happy grabing the DSLR for a quick capture. Plus, I photograph in some pretty bad areas in Detroit here in Michigan and I would never stick my head under a dark cloth without a police officer standing by watching out for my safety. So my DSLR is my main carry camera in those situations.

But when I can take some time with my shots, nothing beats the ground glass. As you stated, it puts you in a completly different mindset and when I'm in the LF mentality and have the image in my mind it is hard for me to grab the DSLR and not have the swing and tilt to capture the perceived image in my mind.

walter23
22-Mar-2007, 23:47
I got around to developing the B&W version today. Not bad, but I wish I hadn't botched the colour. Still haven't sent those slides in for processing though.