PDA

View Full Version : Wollensack lens

bunster0
13-Mar-2007, 12:02
I have faound a old Wollensack Raptar 846225 135mm f/4.7 1-400 lens off a Crown Graflex. the shutter will mount in a 1 3/8 hole. Is there a copal size equivlent to this mounting hole. Will this lens work on a calumet 4x5?

Scott Davis
13-Mar-2007, 12:11
Yes it will work on the Calumet if you drill a lensboard to fit it. It won't give you very much movement on a monorail camera, as it was designed as a press camera lens and was never intended to cover much more than the 4x5 film format. I don't know off the top of my head how close that 1 3/8" size is to a Copal 0 or Copal 1 mount hole, but you can find that dimension (most likely quoted in mm ) on the internet.

BradS
13-Mar-2007, 12:15
It should fit in a hole suited for a Copal #0. You may need to reverse the retaining ring.

Neil Purling
14-Mar-2007, 00:42
The lenses for the Graphic press camera were never intended to be used with any movements whatsoever.
The requirement was for a good 8x10, probably a crop from part of the negative.
You can use the lens. Try movements, but don't expect to be able to enlarge the image much.

Gene McCluney
14-Mar-2007, 08:54
I do some movements with my 135 Optar (Rodenstock) and 135 Xenar, but this is usually to place the subject within the frame more centered...giving less sky..but the edges of sky do not need to be tack sharp, they just need to be "there". Being as that the edge of the circle-of-illumination is in the sky area, with those shifts up of the lensboard, this works, and leaves the subject and foreground below tack sharp.