PDA

View Full Version : Busch Vademecum Salz II

Tony Lakin
9-Mar-2007, 02:39
Hi
I have one of the above casket sets, it is missing the No.1 'between' lens, does anyone have a spare they would like to sell?
Does anyone know for sure if this lens is really necessary or would focusing at the taking aperture be satisfactory I have tried searching with Google but can't find a definitive answer.

Thankyou

David A. Goldfarb
9-Mar-2007, 08:18
The "between" lenses are for correction of focus shift, due to the difference in spectral sensitivity between 19th century UV-sensitive emulsions and visible light. If you do wetplate, it might be handy, but otherwise, you can focus at the taking aperture.

My Vademecum is missing the 15cm cell. I'd trade my #1 between lens for a 15cm cell, if you're interested.

Tony Lakin
9-Mar-2007, 08:37
Hi David
Thankyou for the information it is greatly appreciated:) ,thanks also for your offer of the swap but must decline.
Regards
Tony

David A. Goldfarb
9-Mar-2007, 08:52
I didn't think you would take that trade, but figured I might as well ask.

I had my Vademecum mounted in a Copal Press #1 shutter by Tim Sharkey at lensn2shutter.com, which lets it do interesting things. Aside from having the convenience of a shutter, the 30mm maximum aperture can be used for soft focus effects (and easier focusing with the long focal lengths). This is the 205mm combo at f:8 on 4x5" Type 55--

http://www.echonyc.com/~goldfarb/who/21.jpg

Tony Lakin
9-Mar-2007, 09:21
Hi Dave
Nice photo, I have had an adapter made so I can front mount my Vademecum on a Copal #3, are you saying yours is mounted front and rear in a Copal press #1 excluding the original barrel? you also say that you focus at full aperture, my understanding is that you focus at full aperture without the 'between' lens and then stop down if you want soft focus, is it possible to focus at full aperture and stop down without focus shift using modern panchromatic films.
Thanks
Regards
Tony

David A. Goldfarb
9-Mar-2007, 09:51
Mine is mounted front and rear cell in shutter.

I don't entirely trust it wide open, but I can focus and compose roughly at full aperture, and I do double check it at the shooting aperture. With the longer single cells (45-75cm) it's much easier to compose with a 30mm max aperture than with the barrel's 19mm aperture, but it's still a little soft to shoot wide open.

You always get some focus shift with a single cell behind a stop, but this is different from the UV/visible shift that the corrector lenses correct for.

Also, unless you are going for a soft effect, I recommend always using at least a medium yellow filter to correct for chromatic aberration.

Tony Lakin
9-Mar-2007, 09:54
David
Many thanks, that clears everything up nicely.
Much appreciated.
Regards
Tony