PDA

View Full Version : Plug wiring for timer (enlarger)

Rob_5419
7-Mar-2007, 08:23
I'm a bit stuck. This timer came with this kind of plug:

http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oddpluggg2.jpg
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/355/oddplugbp0.th.jpg (http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oddplugbp0.jpg)
There is only a live and and an earth connection, but there are 7 pins!

How do I wire this? One of the wires must go the centre, and the other one to one of the 7 circumferential pins, but how do I know which is which without ending up in hospital?

Rob_5419
8-Mar-2007, 17:17
59 views and......counting...

How many large format photographers does it then take to change a light bulb?

:)

dominikus bw
8-Mar-2007, 18:13
hi Rob
I try to answer your questions
Why don't you change the plug with standar plug in your country? I beileve in england there was 3 pin, one is for + / live and two other was ground / earth or -.
You also need to ceck working voltage of your timer, I not sure but mostly in england there was 110 volt while other like my country is 220 volt.
As far as I know, if you working with AC voltage it's doesn't matter if you swicth the wires, but it is matter if you working with DC voltage.
As I seen in your picture, the red wire is for + or live and it must be place in one of the 7 circumferential pins and it's must be match with male socket you used, and the blue is for earth and it will be in the center.
That's all i know, but to make sure, I think you better ask an electronic store

Bobf
9-Mar-2007, 06:47
That is obviously not a standard mains plug. It looks like the kind of multi-pole connector that plugs in to the enlarger's power supply.

It very much depends on what timer and what enlarger you have and what kind of power supply (if any) the enlarger has. How do they connect together and what connections/sockets does the timer have?

Cheers, Bob.

Rob_5419
9-Mar-2007, 21:00
Thanks Dominikus - that makes sense to me now.

The reason why I need this plug is because my enlarger timer has a female socket that accepts this one. I would have to change two plugs then, instead of wiring one.

The 7 pin multi-connector can accept different inputs - and I gather that the wiring techique is as specific as you have described.

BobF - the connection is the mirror female version of this male plug. It fits exactly - I just didn't know how to wire it, that's all. The voltages and impedances are all fine for using too.

Thanks.

Shen45
9-Mar-2007, 21:08
What enlarger and which timer?

It looks similar to my DeVere 504 but -------- ?

Maybe not?

Steve

Rob_5419
9-Mar-2007, 21:29
It's a Rayco timer which I'm fitting onto a Meopta.

I've seen it on a Devere 504 with a Devere timer unit too - both are identical 7 pin plugs required by the timer to interface as a switching device.

Bobf
10-Mar-2007, 10:38
So, the cable we are looking at belongs to the enlarger? OK - that makes life easier (possibly...).

In the UK, the standard colouring is either: (red=live, black=neutral, green=earth = old style) or (brown=live, blue=neutral, green & yellow stripes=earth = E.U. style). Note that red & blue is not a standard colour combination for cable in the UK. On the cable you have, red will probably be Live and blue will be Neutral (NOT Earth - do NOT connect it to earth!). If the enlarger cable just goes to the lamp then it does not really matter, but you may as well keep red=live as that's the most logical.

Which model of timer? Rayco made several. Someone here may have one. Failing that, open up the timer and see what cables go to the female socket. If there are only two, you are laughing, if more than two (very likely unfortunately) you are in trouble as you will need to find the correct pair...

Personally, before my current enlarger with built-in timer and shutter system, I used to use a manual switch, a metronome and sheet of card. I didn't bother with a timer which I find a nuisance because of lamp start-up and shut-down times.

Cheers, Bob.

Rob_5419
10-Mar-2007, 17:45
Personally, before my current enlarger with built-in timer and shutter system, I used to use a manual switch, a metronome and sheet of card. I didn't bother with a timer which I find a nuisance because of lamp start-up and shut-down times.

That is more or less me.

I just thought I might try and keep up with the times and get a timer at last. Seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. I know there is no earth wire in the set-up. I'm not much good at electronics either, and opening up the female plug unit is just unthinkable at the moment. It's going to take me years just to wire in this timer.