PDA

View Full Version : Whats a Computar lens?

Gene McCluney
5-Mar-2007, 09:35
I was reading that some Computar lenses have very wide coverage. I have tried goggling for the brand Computar, but all I seem to find is information on Computar lenses for television and security camera applications. What is the story behind Computar lenses for view cameras? Who made them? etc.

Ernest Purdum
5-Mar-2007, 10:14
I don't knnow who made them, (Kowa?) but I do know that there are two families of Computar LF lenses. The f6.3 series are simply nice lenses comparable to others, while the ones the fuss is about are smaller aperture, f9 if I remember correctly.

Oren Grad
5-Mar-2007, 10:41
The Great Computar Coverage Thread. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10255)

stompyq
5-Mar-2007, 11:00
There are two types. The computars which have oggles of coverage and the computar symmetrigons which have much less. I have a computar symmetrigon 210mm f/6.3 lens in copal 1 shutter. It's an excellent lens with far more coverage than i need for 4x5. The gentlemen i bought it from said that he used it on 8x10 with very limited movements. I have found that the corners are sharp even with extensive front rise on my wista. It's also much lighter than other similar lenses (certainly about 1/2 the weight of a fuji 250mm f/6.3 in copal 1 that i ran in to) and best of all mine was dirt cheap (and it's mint). The extra coverage of the computars seems to increase there price considerably.

Vaughn
6-Mar-2007, 14:38
I had a computar symmetrigon 210mm I used on a 5x7. Plenty of coverage for that format -- and sharp as a tack. I was sorry to see that lens go. It would be quite a stretch to use it on 8x10, though.

Vaughn

jnantz
6-Mar-2007, 19:46
i have a 150 computar symmetrigon. i use it on 4x5 + 5x7 and the guy i bought it from used it use it on his 8x10 ( sold it with his sinar 8x10 lensboard ).

Dr Klaus Schmitt
7-Mar-2007, 09:32
They also made some excellent enlager lenses. I communicated with one of the designers and have some documents, should anyone be interested.

Ernest Purdum
7-Mar-2007, 11:09
For jnanian. How do you like your 150? I've seen many (always favorable) comments about the 210, bur the 150 seems to be much less common.

jnantz
10-Mar-2007, 07:43
For jnanian. How do you like your 150? I've seen many (always favorable) comments about the 210, bur the 150 seems to be much less common.

hi ernest

i LOVE it :)

it is sharp and contrasty .... and if it could make me a cup of coffee it would be
just perfect. right now i just have to settle for sharp and contrasty .. :)

-john