PDA

View Full Version : Fujinon A 360mm on Ebay

Doug Dolde
4-Mar-2007, 11:55
I'm surprised it has lasted a day, Is $975 overpriced? Or is it due to the rather poor images of the item?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140092480631&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Ted Harris
4-Mar-2007, 12:17
Probably a fair price for what it is but not a screaming bargain. It is the older, single coated version. IIRC the newer, EBC coated versions seem to sell in the 1200 range. Then again they are so scarce it is hard to say much.

Jack Flesher
4-Mar-2007, 12:21
I had one just like that one and was not overly impressed with its performance. It wasn't horrible, just un-impressive. I would definitely try and find a multi-coated version.

Ted Harris
4-Mar-2007, 12:30
My understanding is that the EBC coated version i sdevery bit as spectacular as the 240A and the 300A. I ownboth of those and can attest to their superb performance.

Bruce Watson
4-Mar-2007, 13:52
I had one just like that one and was not overly impressed with its performance. It wasn't horrible, just un-impressive. I would definitely try and find a multi-coated version.

Interesting. I've got one just like that (single coated) and it's performance is excellent. It seems to be just as sharp as my 240mm Fujinon-A; it might have just a touch less contrast.

Sample-to-sample variances maybe?

Eric Leppanen
4-Mar-2007, 14:06
Given the disparity of experiences, there must be some very significant sample variation with this lens. I also once owned a Fuji 360A (multi-coated), and while it was OK, it certainly wasn't spectacular. It definitely was not a sharp as my Fuji 240A, a conclusion also supported by Chris Perez' test results at http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html (his 360A sample was noticeably softer than the two 240A's tested).

If one is interested in purchasing this lens, I can only suggest negotiating a test period so that you can be sure you're getting one of the good ones.

Sheldon N
4-Mar-2007, 14:36
It's gone now, so $975 must not have been an unreasonable price.

I had one (single coated) and sold it here for $1,000. The last one I saw on Ebay was also single coated and went for $1300 Buy-it-Now. I think that there is pent up demand for the lens and very limited supply, so a seller can almost name their price (within reason).

Ken Lee
4-Mar-2007, 18:10
I wonder if Fuji even knows that there are people interested in the lens, or in others like it in the A series (compact, light weight, wide coverage, sharp at all distances). They might sell more of them today, than they did when the lenses were readily available.