PDA

View Full Version : Holding the lens board in

jj golden
2-Mar-2007, 22:04
those that make there own lens boards out of wood, foam board, or whatever, how do u hold them in place?

Gene McCluney
3-Mar-2007, 03:02
The camera should have clips or sliding metal strips that are designed to hold removable lensboards in place. If yours are missing it is a simple matter to fabricate some from strip brass and tinsnips and a drill. Usually there is one stationary metal strip (top or bottom) you slide the lensboard under, seat it and then a movable strip..or a couple of clips you rotate to retain the board on the other side (top or bottom).

Turner Reich
3-Mar-2007, 04:24
On a wing and a prayer; however clips or a piece of metal that slides diagonally down over the lens board usually works fine. The important thing is that the board and lens is firmly held in place so it doesn't drop out with movements of the camera. Some have put a string of leather or a pull chain type of attachment as a safety chain from the lens board to the front standard. Any way you do it just make sure it is light tight with some felt or stepped design of the board its self. Good luck and experiment and look at some on the net to get an idea of how they are made. It doesn't have to be high tech.

ericantonio
5-Mar-2007, 19:57
those that make there own lens boards out of wood, foam board, or whatever, how do u hold them in place?
I worked in a still life studio with lots and lots of Cambos and Calumets (not the new nice ones). We even had some Deardorffs. I put a lot of gaffer's tape and A clamps on lensboards to hold them in place. The clips were always breaking cause we popped in lenses all the time.

I think its still a habit cause I put A clamps on things so it won't wiggle or move when I move the camera around.

alec4444
5-Mar-2007, 20:59
On a wing and a prayer; however clips or a piece of metal that slides diagonally down over the lens board usually works fine.

...usually until one day the lens falls out regardless and breaks (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=23376).

My lesson is to have an additional clip or locking mechanism or some way to make sure the tabs don't open....or perhaps I need the prayer Turner speaks of... :)

--A

Turner Reich
5-Mar-2007, 21:42
This is one way to hold one in! This is a Gowland camera and I think he had the most secure way to keep the lens board connected to the camera. This one won't fall out. Now for the protection when the camera is dropped on the lens. Maybe a protecting lens hood?

Mark Sawyer
5-Mar-2007, 23:33
I tried mental telepathy, but it didn't work.

Now I use physical telepathy, aka "hardware".