PDA

View Full Version : filters on 110mm ssxl

Songyun
26-Feb-2007, 22:12
Does anyone have experience with filters on this lens?
Does regular filter fit on this lens without touching front element?
BH recommends B+W slim, Does Hoya slim fit? Maybe slim UV is not my best choice, coz I might use other filters as well.
Any other solutions? like a 67 to 72/77 step up ring? or a rubber hood with double threads?

Ron Marshall
26-Feb-2007, 22:21
I play it safe with a step-up ring on the rear element and then mount my filters behind the lens. You must focus with a clear/UV filter in place or the focus will shift slightly.

I tested front element filter-clearance by carefully screwing on a filter with a small piece of kleenex tissue between the filter and the front element. There was not enough clearance with the B+W filters, but there was with the Hoya. But in case I forget, I mount all of my filters on the rear element.

roteague
26-Feb-2007, 22:35
I have an 80mm XL and have no problems putting filters on it; it takes the same size filters.

Eric James
27-Feb-2007, 01:08
I use 72mm filters for all of my lenses. I have a B+W 67-72mm step up ring on the front of my 110XL. I'm happy with this approach. For me, the alternative is dicey - I can just see myself rushing to capture an image only to screw in the wrong 67mm filter on that precious lens: "crunch". I considered using filters on the rear element but this approach is a bit more cumbersome and I understand that rear-mounted filters have to be absolutely spotless on wide lenses.

Kevin Crisp
27-Feb-2007, 07:18
I'm with Eric on this. I use a slim step up ring to 72mm. It causes no vignetting; at least the lens will still cover 8X10. This is the only lens I leave a UV filter on, a reaction to paying so much for it.

Steve Hamley
27-Feb-2007, 08:10
Just a note, you don't have to screw filters all the way on to use them. A half turn or so secures them and you don't have to worry (as much) about glass-to-glass contact. That said, I also use step-up rings because I have 77mm filters.

Steve

Christopher Perez
27-Feb-2007, 09:34
My 67mm filter threads are too shallow to even mate with the front barrel without the glass touching. So I use the 52mm threads on the rear of the optic.

Arne Croell
27-Feb-2007, 09:46
I had heard about this problem when I got mine but at that I time used to use a step-up ring because my standard filter size was 82mm, so no problem. Years later I scaled down to 67mm as my standard size, and had of course totally forgotten about the problem, screwed the filter (a regular B+W polarizer) on tight from behind the camera - and the coating was gone in the center. An expensive memory lapse! Since then I always have an empty 67mm filter ring (a damaged filter where I took the glass out) as a spacer on the lens.The 80mm XL has a more recessed front lens and is no problem at all.

Bruce Watson
27-Feb-2007, 11:44
...I always have an empty 67mm filter ring (a damaged filter where I took the glass out) as a spacer on the lens.

Yes, exactly. I wandered down to my local photo store and pawed through their collection of used filters until I found a nasty 67mm filter with good threads. Broke out the glass and screwed it into the lens. With this extension 67mm filters work just fine. I do wonder a bit that Schneider didn't see fit to give us enough lens barrel so that we don't have to do this sort of thing. But there it is.

roteague
27-Feb-2007, 12:19
I had heard about this problem when I got mine but at that I time used to use a step-up ring because my standard filter size was 82mm, so no problem. Years later I scaled down to 67mm as my standard size, and had of course totally forgotten about the problem, screwed the filter (a regular B+W polarizer) on tight from behind the camera - and the coating was gone in the center. An expensive memory lapse! Since then I always have an empty 67mm filter ring (a damaged filter where I took the glass out) as a spacer on the lens.The 80mm XL has a more recessed front lens and is no problem at all.

Thanks, I will have to remember that for when I get a 110.

Lazybones
27-Feb-2007, 12:34
What about the center filter? Does it fit correctly, without touching the front of the lens?

Baxter Bradford
27-Feb-2007, 12:56
Interesting thread, I have the centre filter, but not got the lens yet! Image circle is so large, wasn't anticipating using the 3b centre filter much, if at all, with this XL lens.

Presume that no issue with Lee filter adaptor ring on front of lens and their filters touching front element?

roteague
28-Feb-2007, 00:52
What about the center filter? Does it fit correctly, without touching the front of the lens?

There shouldn't be a problem with the IIIb center filter. It is built like a step up ring, with the mounting threads being 67mm, and outside threads at 86mm; the glass element is the size of the outside ring.

Lazybones
28-Feb-2007, 12:02
There shouldn't be a problem with the IIIb center filter. It is built like a step up ring, with the mounting threads being 67mm, and outside threads at 86mm; the glass element is the size of the outside ring.

Eggselent, Smithers! How much you gotta move the 110mm before you even need the CF on 4x5? You see, I'm ordering a 110mm SSXL next week, the 80mm SSXL some time after, and then maybe 58mm SAXL... Just trying to put off buying the IIIb as long as I can. You understand.

roteague
28-Feb-2007, 12:10
Eggselent, Smithers! How much you gotta move the 110mm before you even need the CF on 4x5? You see, I'm ordering a 110mm SSXL next week, the 80mm SSXL some time after, and then maybe 58mm SAXL... Just trying to put off buying the IIIb as long as I can. You understand.

Unfortunately, I don't have one yet, so I don't know how much you can get away with. However, Jack Dykinga talks about this in his book "Large Format Nature Photography" (sorry, I don't have my copy here with me). Other people have told me that they never use the IIIb with the 110 XL lens.

Songyun
30-Sep-2007, 08:19
I remember that Jim told me that the B+W slim UV filter can work on 110xl, does anyone has experience with hoya pro 1 digital on 110xl? it claims 3mm thick with front thread.

Songyun
20-Jan-2008, 12:29
Arne,
Today I tried a regular (not B+W though) 67mm filter on 110XL very carefully, surprisingly it doesn't touch the front element.

Ron Marshall
20-Jan-2008, 12:59
Arne,
Today I tried a regular (not B+W though) 67mm filter on 110XL very carefully, surprisingly it doesn't touch the front element.

Hoya, and I have read Heliopan, have enough clearance for the 110XL. As a test, place a small piece of tissue on the lens then screw on the filter while watching to see if the tissue is compressed.

Songyun
20-Jan-2008, 16:30
Hoya, and I have read Heliopan, have enough clearance for the 110XL. As a test, place a small piece of tissue on the lens then screw on the filter while watching to see if the tissue is compressed.

Ron, you should tell me earlier, Hoya is the only UV that I use. Now I own an extra set of 77mm UV with a 67 to 77 step up ring, and gave an extra 67mm UV filter to a friend, and in the market for a new one. :p

Henry Ambrose
20-Jan-2008, 16:32
I never use the CF on my 110. You will want it on the 80 some and nearly all the time on the 58.

I use an old filter ring with the glass removed on my 110. It would be too easy to screw in a filter that hit the glass. I have 67mm filters from several manufacturers and I don' want to worry or test each one when I want to use it. With the ring in place I don't have to think about this, instead I can think about the picture.

davidb
20-Jan-2008, 22:55
I have two lenses. The 110 and a 210. The 210 is a 72mm filter mount. So I got the 67-72 step up ring. All is good.