PDA

View Full Version : Computer hangs when I try to print large files

butterfly
25-Feb-2007, 05:59
Hi everyone,

I have an Apple Imac with 1GB RAM and an Epson R800. When I try to print large files, e.g. the last one was 700MB, the computer just hung, and the printing dialogue box just kept stopping the job. If I reduced the file in size (thereby reducing quality), to about 250Mb, it will eventually print.

Any ideas anyone. Have I missed something in the settings?

Regards

Steve

archivue
25-Feb-2007, 06:11
700MB for an A4 is far more than overkill...
rezize the file in 300DPI at output size, and sharpen it a little, the print !
save it to a new file, and keep the big one fot bigger prints only !

Michael Graves
25-Feb-2007, 06:44
What version of PS are you running? CS2 exhibited this problem. The 9.0.2 patch supposedly fixes it.

butterfly
25-Feb-2007, 10:45
Hi,

I have 2GB RAM not 1GB, not that this should be a factor. I printed the same files from the same computer to an epson 1290 last week. Switching to the Epson R800 and it just totally refuses to print anything except a test page, so I at least know there is no communication error.

I've resized the image to under 300MB and saved as a JPEG. After 5 minutes the dialogue box pops up ans says job is 'stopped'. I resume it to go through the same process. I've rebooted.

Now I am getting pretty annoyed at this.. :-(

butterfly
26-Feb-2007, 06:19
For anyone that's interested, I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software using the original disk and not the latest driver via the Epson website. This appears to have done the trick, as I am now printing again.

Regards

Steve