PDA

View Full Version : Darkroom Water Filter Change?

Michael Kadillak
22-Feb-2007, 07:18
Wondered when folks change out their darkroom water filters? I use the Calumet long cartridge filter and although I have not noticed any visual degredation in my darkroom water I felt that I should at least check this variable out.

Is the change recommended based upon usage or simply time?

Thanks in advance.

lee\c
22-Feb-2007, 08:07
my filters started to emit a very bad smell in the water and maybe I waited too long but that was when I changed mine.

lee\c

Keith Pitman
22-Feb-2007, 10:33
I let mine go for about a year until I checked them. I found they were a little discolored. I have well water that comes with a bit of grit, which might account for the discoloration. I'm going to check them after about six months this time. They are pretty inexpensive, but a hassle to change as I installed mine under the sink. If I had it to do over, I would put them in a more accessible location.

Michael Kadillak
22-Feb-2007, 17:45
I found replacement water filter cartridges at the back of a drawer and decided to change my existing filters and I was shocked at what I found. Dark black smelly decomposing cartridges and a black soot inside the housing was more than troubling. Obviously 18 months plus of use time is well below the necessary change intervals. I ordered a half dozen more filters and plan on changing them again at the four to six month interval and see how the filter looks. $4 each for 20 micron filters is pretty reasonable all things considered. To think of what was coming out of those soiled cartridges was pretty disturbing. If it has been a while since you changed your filters, DO IT NOW.

Cheers!

Tom Coverdale
22-Feb-2007, 18:41
HI, every new years eve I change, the batteries in my fire alarms, the drinking water filter under the sink and teh filters in my darkroom. Never have had any problems with any of them. Then I go to a perty!!! Tom