PDA

View Full Version : 240mm g-claron question

C. D. Keth
20-Feb-2007, 16:20
I just recieved the front cell of a g-claron when I was expecting both cells. Needless to say I'm thrilled. Anyway, if I get a g-claron in a barrel, will it screw apart into the same cells that will fit right into a shutter or are the fittings different for barrel- and shutter-destined lenses?

Kevin Crisp
20-Feb-2007, 16:28
I am not entirely sure what you are asking. I assume you got a shutter with only one cell? And you want to know if you buy one in barrell can you swap over both elements into the shutter you have? There are reports that this does not always work, but I'd say 99.9% of the time, either the earlier or later G Clarons will screw right into what I assume is a compur 1 or copal 1 shutter. I've done this numerous times and never had a fit problem into a copal or compur 1 shutter. These experiences are true with both the older and newer Claron designs.

C. D. Keth
20-Feb-2007, 16:30
I guess my question was poorly worded. I have a copal #1 shutter. If I purchase a 240 g-claron in a barrel mount (one that has an iris but no shutter) can I put my shutter where the iris section of the barrel mount was and make it work?

Kevin Crisp
20-Feb-2007, 16:45
I guess my question was poorly worded. I have a copal #1 shutter. If I purchase a 240 g-claron in a barrel mount (one that has an iris but no shutter) can I put my shutter where the iris section of the barrel mount was and make it work?

This is extremely likely to work. What's the serial number range on the front element?

C. D. Keth
20-Feb-2007, 16:55
I see no serial number. It is only marked with "g claron 9/240", "Schneider-Kruznach", and "Lens made in Germany" on the outside edge of the front rim.

Dan Fromm
20-Feb-2007, 17:08
I just recieved the front cell of a g-claron when I was expecting both cells. Needless to say I'm thrilled. Anyway, if I get a g-claron in a barrel, will it screw apart into the same cells that will fit right into a shutter or are the fittings different for barrel- and shutter-destined lenses?If all you have is the front cell you're in some difficulty. It takes two.

I've had and sold three 240/9 G-Clarons. All came to me in barrel. I took the cells out for cleaning, checked fit in the #1s have have lying around. The front cells went into the fronts of the shutters, the rears into the rears, and the lenses' total lengths were correct. If the total lengths are correct, then so is the cell spacing. The same is true, but with respect to a #0 shutter, of the 150/9 G-Claron that lives in the closet.

Go to www.schneiderkreuznach.com, hover the cursor over "service", click on "archiv" when it appears, and then find the G-Claron documentation. Schneider is very clear about which the size of shutter each focal length goes into.

Dan Fromm
20-Feb-2007, 17:11
I see no serial number. It is only marked with "g claron 9/240", "Schneider-Kruznach", and "Lens made in Germany" on the outside edge of the front rim.Very, very odd. Does the seller have the rest of the lens?

C. D. Keth
20-Feb-2007, 18:19
He says he does not. In any case, he's not answering me since telling me that he won't refund my money. I even offered to ship it to him on my dollar. It looks like I'm stuck with half a lens and an extra copal 1.

stompyq
20-Feb-2007, 18:35
Did he advertise it as having both cells? what do the pics show (i am assuming ebay)? I think if he specifically didn't mention it he willfully misled you. I would keep at it. Try to get a refund

Jim Galli
20-Feb-2007, 19:06
The answer to your question is yes. Any series old or new of 240 G-Claron will fit that shutter. I just had the same thing happen. Got a 240 G-Claron with correct front cell and the rear group I believe is from a Rodenstock 210 or 180 Sironar??? It would focus at like 7 inches and was incapable of making a sharp picture of any kind. I got one in barrel and used those elements but that's a long way around robbins barn and a lot of extra cost. Too bad my extra front elements wouldn't work. Threads are different in Copal 1 front to rear. I'd get Ebay in the middle of that mess. There are ways to report sellers who do not deliver. That seller fits the description, especially if you used PayPal.

Kirk Fry
20-Feb-2007, 22:13
I had a case where I tried to screw a 240 g-claron into a NO 1 compur and the real element did not seat correctly giving 1.5 mm over the barrel. So there are cases that don't work. Usually they work fine.

Kirk

Jon Wilson
20-Feb-2007, 22:41
I had a case where I tried to screw a 240 g-claron into a NO 1 compur and the real element did not seat correctly giving 1.5 mm over the barrel. So there are cases that don't work. Usually they work fine.

Kirk

The 240mm g-claron and 210mm g-claron are both direct fits in a copal 1, the compur shutter is different. Double check it with the SK Grimes site. Jon

Kevin Crisp
21-Feb-2007, 07:22
I agree with Jim. Unless the aution clearly said you were bidding for half a lens it wasn't as described. Whether the seller knew it or not doesn't change the inaccuracy of the description.