PDA

View Full Version : MAGNAchrom Issue #3 is now available

MJSfoto1956
20-Feb-2007, 07:16
Dear List,

Volume 1, Issue 3 of MAGNAchrom has just been released. And it is the best issue ever. With over eight contributors from all walks of the photographic life, this special issue is dedicated to Black and White. At over 100 pages, it is also our largest to date. As a registered user, all you need do is login to download it as well as any of the previous issues. Be sure to let us know what you think!

You can download (for free) the new v1.3 issue here: www.magnachrom.com (http://www.magnachrom.com)

http://www.magnachrom.com/images/1.3.1.cover.414.jpg

MAGNAchrom v1.3 Contents

SOAPBOX: The Contemplative Photograph
HOT MODS: S.K. Grimes Builds the Whatsitcam
4-SQUARE: Oscar Reina
PROJECT: Allen Rumme: Markings
INTERVIEW: Don Kirby & Joan Gentry
PORTFOLIO: Parallels: 16 Photographs
CENTERFOLD: Bernhard Hartmann
FEATURE: The Carbon Transfer Process
VISION: B.A. Bosaiya: Angels and Insects
REVIEW: Ebony SW23
ROUNDUP: Four Focusing Hoods
PARTING SHOT: The Foundry Foreman

Don Boyd
20-Feb-2007, 08:38
Michael, great issue. I particularly enjoyed your essay on The Contemplative Photograph, addressing an issue very much in the forefront of many recent posts here - why large format.

Greg Lockrey
20-Feb-2007, 10:51
I signed up today....good stuff.

Scott Knowles
20-Feb-2007, 16:56
Does anyone have problems downloading the issue? The last two issue have quit with errors about page 60-65 using Adobe Acrobat professional 7. I sent an e-mail. Since I currently use a dial-up line, the download is slow and bailing out after 80% of the way there isn't a happy thought.

Ash
20-Feb-2007, 17:08
I meant to ask, if I sort out a more presentable and very clearly written article, fancy my submission for the Cambo monorail modification? It was to allow barrel lenses on a single lens panel, interchangeable.

Michael Gordon
20-Feb-2007, 19:23
Scott: maybe it's a no duh answer for you, but SAVE it to your desktop rather than trying to open from the link. Huge .pdf files often give me grief as well.

BrianShaw
20-Feb-2007, 20:08
I've never had a problem downloading big PDFs with my current DSL provider... but I sure waste a lot of valuable time trying to remember my password.

Gary J. McCutcheon
20-Feb-2007, 20:39
I too have been having download problems, similar to yours Scott. I'm saving to desktop and at about 75-80% it seems to load up with an icon on the desktop. Then I get this message,"There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired."

This has happened repeatedly for 15 to 20 attempts over the weekend and again tonight. The second issue downloaded fine over a month ago and to my knowledge nothing on my computer has changed. Other downloads seem to work. Maybe it is the size.

I tryed downloading issue one and the same thing happens only at about 95%.

Anyone out there have suggestions?

Gary

roteague
20-Feb-2007, 21:00
I've never had a problem downloading big PDFs with my current DSL provider... but I sure waste a lot of valuable time trying to remember my password.

I've got a great program for just that sort of thing - it runs both under Windows XP and under PocketPC. It's called Ilium eWallet. I keep all my password, account numbers, etc. in it. That way I only have to remember one password.

I also had no problems with the latest issue.

AlaBill
21-Feb-2007, 04:25
Michael...

This was my introduction to the magazine. Downloaded and read #3 from cover to cover. Great job. Best online photography magazine I've seen.

Bill

Scott Knowles
21-Feb-2007, 05:45
Scott: maybe it's a no duh answer for you, but SAVE it to your desktop rather than trying to open from the link. Huge .pdf files often give me grief as well.

That's what I do (download to file), and it halts with a damaged file. After several tries it just gets to be a WTF moment and I quit. I've downloaded other PDF and large files with no problems, or problem PDF's turn out to be the people generating the PDF file using old or MS-only programs. But I'm trying again.

Helen Bach
21-Feb-2007, 06:53
Out of interest, why is it one big file anyway? Wouldn't it be better if each article was a separate pdf?

Best,
Helen

Bill_1856
21-Feb-2007, 07:11
Issue #1 was pretty lame, but showed some promise. Issue#2 was definitely an improvement, but still lacking. With Issue #3 they're finally in the ballpark of a good photo magazine. Keep up the good work, fellows! (I do hate the Adobe format.)

MJSfoto1956
21-Feb-2007, 07:40
Out of interest, why is it one big file anyway? Wouldn't it be better if each article was a separate pdf?

Thanx for the input Helen. We may eventually do that. But for now, each issue will remain as one compilation. Perhaps when we get to the point when we can offer both printed and online versions of MC will breaking the issues up make sense. Time will tell...

AlaBill
21-Feb-2007, 07:55
Michael...

I like the entire issue in a single pdf. It makes it read like a magazine. I have not printed a copy yet but I appreciate your instructions on how to do so.

The issue #3 was outstanding.

It's great to have a publication for medium and large format only.

Bill

PViapiano
21-Feb-2007, 09:11
LensWork Extended uses separate files but they all open under the illusion of one big master PDF. Interesting way to do it, but that doesn't totally work for me either.

I like the way MAGNAchrom is presented right now because it feels like a magazine rather than a bunch of files.

MJSfoto1956
21-Feb-2007, 10:36
Does anyone have problems downloading the issue? The last two issue have quit with errors about page 60-65 using Adobe Acrobat professional 7. I sent an e-mail. Since I currently use a dial-up line, the download is slow and bailing out after 80% of the way there isn't a happy thought.

Dear Scott (and others having trouble w/ downloading the issue),

Unfortunately, it seems that approximately 1-2% of our users are being affected by the way we stream the file in 1mb "chunks" -- necessitated by our lame ISP who has been totally unhelpful assisting us. We cannot explain this behavior as it has nothing to do with the version of Acrobat you are using or the version of OS you are using. We believe it has something to do with how packets are processed by individual ISPs, but we have given up. We are in the middle of switching ISPs over the next two months so by issue #4 this problem will go away.

In the meantime, we will be setting up a secure ftp site for those users who cannot successfully download the bigger files.

We should have this up and running by next week.

Be sure to send email to customersupport "at" magnachrom "dot" com and mention you had trouble with "damaged files" while downloading.

roteague
21-Feb-2007, 10:47
Michael...

This was my introduction to the magazine. Downloaded and read #3 from cover to cover. Great job. Best online photography magazine I've seen.

Bill

Yes, I agree. Best issue yet. I wasn't so sure at first, I was really turned off by all the digital content in the first issue, but this one is much better.

Eric Biggerstaff
21-Feb-2007, 14:01
Michael,

Great issue! I really enjoyed the entire thing this time. It is becoming a nice mix of digital and traditional.

Look forward to future issues.

Thanks,
Eric

Scott Knowles
21-Feb-2007, 15:24
Dear Scott (and others having trouble w/ downloading the issue),

Unfortunately, it seems that approximately 1-2% of our users are being affected by the way we stream the file in 1mb "chunks"...

In the meantime, we will be setting up a secure ftp site for those users who cannot successfully download the bigger files.

We should have this up and running by next week.

Be sure to send email to customersupport "at" magnachrom "dot" com and mention you had trouble with "damaged files" while downloading.

Cool, thanks. It's interesting the way the file is transmitted in chunks, which may explain things on this end. My (local) ISP piggy backs off another (national) ISP which may also control the datastream if sent in large chunks. I've downloaded video files in 8-15 MBytes without any problems and often download Apple and Adobe updates, some over 100Mybtes and my G5 controls the datastream without any hitches, even notices other communications and disconnects to resume dataflow when reconnected. Another option is a mirror site?

Look forward to the issues. Again thanks.

sanking
23-Feb-2007, 19:34
A few comments.

Congratulations to the editor of MAGNAchrom for a great, information-packed, and very *well-edited* issue. In particular, thanks for the excellent job of editing of my own article on carbon printing, which appears in the issue.

I want to thank MS for the opportunity to put on-line a good working description of the carbon process. I am very happy to have this material available to everyone at a free to subscribers on-line source.

Let me also say that it was a pleasure in every way to deal with MS. My messages of inquiry were always promptly answered, and from the beginning I felt very assured of the integrity of the person with whom I was dealing. And even when there were some un-expected issues, the editor always responded quickly to my questions. I was very disappointed that my portfolio of carbon prints was not included in this issue, but fuly satisfied by an email message from Michael that they would appear in an up-coming issue of portfolios.

Also, thanks very much to the many persons who have contacted me by email to thank me for the article and for my efforts to promote carbon printing. And particularly to those persons who have worked professionally as carbon printers, including persons who have directed carbon printing labs. I am truly humbled by praise of my work from persons of this caliber.

Finally, I would like to encourage the editor of MAGNAchrom to continue to seek out and publish new authors and photographers, view points, portfolios and presentations, and to avoid to the extent possible becoming insular and isolated from reality, as we have seen in several of the current US publications on photography.

Some suggest we should be happy for anything we get in terms of photography publications. In this age of such great opportunity provided by the digital revolution, I say we should aim for the best. Based on my work with him in preparing the carbon article I am of the opinion that MS is a person who knows how aim.

Sandy King

David Spivak-Focus Magazine
23-Feb-2007, 21:24
I think you're really onto something very good here. I wish you nothing but continued success.

roteague
23-Feb-2007, 21:58
I too want to thank Michael for such a fine issue.