PDA

View Full Version : Who currently sells new ULF holders?

Jim Chinn
17-Feb-2007, 18:24
Specifically 11x14 and 7x17. I know Quality Camera used to list S&S holders but don't know if that is still the case. Any other vendors currently retailing ULF holders?

resummerfield
17-Feb-2007, 19:41
Alan Brubaker manufactures an outstanding holder. Contact him direct at http://www.filmholders.com/

alec4444
17-Feb-2007, 20:47
Yup, and between S&S and AWB that just about wraps it up for new holders. Oh, right, there's Lotus in Austria too, in case you felt like the cost of the US ones weren't enough and you had a hankering for some overseas shipping costs to be added to the mix. :p

--A

Oren Grad
17-Feb-2007, 20:49
Keep an eye on eBay. Now and then something turns up from an Asian seller that looks like new production - perhaps in China?

Michael Kadillak
17-Feb-2007, 21:14
Check with Kerry Thalman as it sounds like he may be importing some ULF holders from China.

sanking
17-Feb-2007, 22:02
Specifically 11x14 and 7x17. I know Quality Camera used to list S&S holders but don't know if that is still the case. Any other vendors currently retailing ULF holders?

I am sure QCC still lists them. And S&S has those two sizes in stock as now now.

We also have in stock at the moment holders in the following sizes.

5X12 (cherry)
11X14 (cherry)
7X17 (cherry)
8X20 (walnut)
12X20 (cherry)
14X17 ( walnut)
16X20 (cherry)
20X24 (cherry)

Sandy
for S&S Film Holders

Capocheny
17-Feb-2007, 22:13
Jim,

Just spotted this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/7x17-FILM-HOLDER_W0QQitemZ280083634712QQihZ018QQcategoryZ15248QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have nothing to do with this seller...

Cheers

clay harmon
18-Feb-2007, 07:01
Lotus Camera in Austria also make very nice filmholders and will ship to the US.

David A. Goldfarb
18-Feb-2007, 07:38
I'm fairly sure Tachihara is making 11x14" holders.

Aggie
18-Feb-2007, 08:17
Jim, a freind of mine in Cedar City Utah had some custom film holders made for him (6x15) in China. They were absolutely perfect and very well made. He got two for $300 and since he got two, they made him an extra one for no cost. Each of them also came with a custom made padded holder. For what he got, it was a great deal. They came out to $100 each with a case. They were also made in cherry. I can get the address of the guy for you if you want it.

John Bowen
18-Feb-2007, 08:23
I've obtained S&S 7x17 holders from QCC and AWB holders thru the View Camera Store. I purchased the S&S holders last summer and the AWB holders in the late fall (QCC was out of the S&S holders at the time). Dennis at the View Camera Store shared with me that AWB had just completed a very large order of 7x17 holders for a Saudi Sheik. I think he said something like 50 film holders went overseas. I guess if we can get Saudi Sheiks involved with ULF there is still hope for ULF film and papers.

If you decide to try AWB holders, you will probably be glad to have the View Camera Store between you and Andrew. I understand that Andrew makes some nice products, but that he learned his customer service skills from Wiesner. :-) (ie not very prompt at answering e-mail, etc.)

Barry Wilkinson
18-Feb-2007, 08:39
John, I think that is a little unfair. I believe Alan is a 'one man band' but he makes a superb product. I suspect he has lots of back orders, and unless he has the item is stock you will have a wait. I've waited nearly 9 Months, but it will be worth the wait, I've seen examples of his film backs. I don't think he is anywhere on the Wisner scale!

Barry

steve simmons
18-Feb-2007, 09:01
We talk about new ULF cameras and holders in the upcoming issue of View Camera and will do a review of the available holders and how to work with them in our May issue.

If you can wait a couple of months I think the ULF camera and film holder situation will improve greatly.

steve simmons

Oren Grad
18-Feb-2007, 10:35
If you decide to try AWB holders, you will probably be glad to have the View Camera Store between you and Andrew. I understand that Andrew makes some nice products, but that he learned his customer service skills from Wiesner. :-) (ie not very prompt at answering e-mail, etc.)

I waited several months for Alan to complete a rebuild of some old whole-plate holders for me. But it was no surprise, since he'd been clear at the time I placed the order that that's what it would take, and he delivered exactly as promised. And he's always responded promptly and helpfully to my occasional email and phone queries.

John Bowen
18-Feb-2007, 11:03
Barry and Oren, you are both correct. It is unfair to compare Andrew to Ron Wiesner and for that I apologize. AWB makes some very nice products, I feel lucky to have a few in my arsenal and I would not hesitate to do business with AWB in the future.

Actually we who shoot ULF are quite fortunate. Almost all of our vendors are small, custom shops and the quality of the workmanship is, for the most part, first rate. Yes, it takes some patience to participate in the ULF world

Barry Wilkinson
18-Feb-2007, 11:07
Thanks John for your positive response. We are certainly lucky to have people with real a interest in supporting the LF community. Good luck to all of them.

Regards

Barry

Colin Graham
18-Feb-2007, 11:15
Unfortunate it's now considered slanderous to compare people to Ron Wisner!