PDA

View Full Version : Converting Arca/Sinar 4x5 to 5x7 with coustom back

Jan_6568
15-Feb-2007, 10:34
OK, I am inspired by Kerry Thalmann who converted his Arca F-line 4x5 to 4x10 (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=23134) . I am thinking of doing the same but converting to 5x7. Commercial conversion kits are just too expensive for me. As I am looking to replace my 4x5 and 5x7 cameras with one one which could work as 4x5 and 5x7 I want to get the Arca or Sinar F2 4x5 and add custom 5x7 back. Is there any reason preventing Sinar F2 conversion in a way Kerry did with the Arca?

Jan

Kerry L. Thalmann
15-Feb-2007, 12:37
Jan,

While I certainly don't want to discourage you in any way from attempting a DYI 5x7 conversion, don't give up on the commercially available format conversion kits so fast. Sinar 5x7/13x18 conversion kits show up occasionally on eBay, and when they do, they ususally go in the $400 - $500 range.

I'm not as familiar with the Sinar cameras as I m the ARCA-SWISS. Used Sinar gear is more plentiful and less expensive on eBay. However, the ARCA-SWISS cameras fold up smaller for transport in the field. That's one reason, I chose the ARCA-SWISS as the basis for my 4x5/4x10/7x17 system.

On the ARCA-SWISS, the older cameras, if you can find one in good shape, are a real bargain. The 4x5s are plentiful and usually fetch less than $400 on eBay (or maybe a little more if in exceptional condition, or with desirable accessories). The older 5x7 ARCAs are much less common, and usually sell for $600 - $700. Like the newer ARCA-SWISS models, the older cameras are also modular in their design. So, you can mix and match parts from multiple "donor" cameras to get exactly the configuration you want. You can also mix and match SOME older ARCA-SWISS parts with newer components. For example, both new and old function carriers are compatible with both new and old rails. You could also adapt an older ARCA-SWISS 5x7/13x18 format conversion kit to a newer F-Line or Discovery camera by simply changing the front bellows frame - and you can make a new bellows frame from a flat 171mm lens board. Lots of possibilities - limited only by your imagination. That's what makes the ARCA-SWISS so wonderful for these types of projects.

Finally, for further inspiration, here's a link (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum187/27034-i-finally-got-my-7x17-up-running.html) to a 7x17 camera assembled by Richard Wasserman based on a Sinar P rear and F front. I've seen eth camera in person, and it is exquisite.

Kerry

Jan_6568
15-Feb-2007, 17:03
Thanks, Kerry

Jan