PDA

View Full Version : 355mm G-Claron shutter fit?

Pete Skerys
12-Feb-2007, 03:15
Hi,
I've come across a 355 g-claron in barrel and was wondering if it would fit a copal 3... do *all* 355s fit copal 3s?
tia
pete

lee\c
12-Feb-2007, 04:25
fits a copal #3 without any modifications screws right in

lee\c

Daniel Grenier
12-Feb-2007, 05:54
Actually, some older 355 Gs fit in Compur 3 shutters - not the Copal 3. I do not know where the line between "new" and "old" is to differentiate, though. Also, if yours is a "new" one, be sure you get a Copal 3 and not the smaller Copal 3S as that will definitely not fit.

JasonC
12-Feb-2007, 06:34
Some older 355mm G Clarons fit Compound #3 shutters. I think they have silver front barrels.

Jason.

Ole Tjugen
12-Feb-2007, 11:47
Mine fits a Compound, and has silver front barrel. That doesn't necessarily mean that all silver-barrel 355's will fit Compound #3, nor that all black 355's will fit Copal 3. I don't know when they changed what...

Kerry L. Thalmann
12-Feb-2007, 12:12
Didn't the older 355mm G Clarons also have a smaller front filter thread (67mm instead of 77mm)? I'm not sure if the correlation is 100%, but that may be one way to tell which shutter a particular 355mm G Claron fits into. I can't imagine Schneider re-doing the mechanical design of this lens twice (once for a different shutter and once for a different filter size) twice within a couple year period.

Ole, what size filters does yours take?

Kerry

Ernest Purdum
12-Feb-2007, 12:27
Kerry is right (of course) about the filter sizes. For what it's worth, the older ones are all-cemented (Dagor) design, while the newer ones are air-spaced (plasmat) consruction.

Ole Tjugen
12-Feb-2007, 15:01
I'm a bit too far from my lens to check the filter size right now, but from memory 67mm seems more correct than 77mm.

However it's not old enough to be a Dagor, it's definitely a Plasmat.

Nothing whatsoever surprises me when it comes to mechanical redesign of lenses.

Capocheny
12-Feb-2007, 15:36
Mine fits into a Copal 3 shutter... and I think it has a 77 mm front filter ring.

I'll check a bit later on and report back.

Wouldn't it be great if they could all come to some standardization? :>8

Cheers

Ralph Barker
12-Feb-2007, 16:33
. . . Wouldn't it be great if they could all come to some standardization? :>8

True, but standards change with the times and the market. While the used lens market can be confusing now, it's probably appropriate for Schneider to have switched to the Copal 3 with the later versions of the lens.

Jim Galli
12-Feb-2007, 16:42
Kerry is right (of course) about the filter sizes. For what it's worth, the older ones are all-cemented (Dagor) design, while the newer ones are air-spaced (plasmat) consruction.

Just to add a bit more confusion. This is true with the exception of the 355. It is plasmat both old and new style. The 2 I've had were both black barrel with the smaller filter thread. Also just when Schneider switched to the Copal 3 around 1971 or so, Copal made them shutters that had the same thread characteristic and spacing as the Compound 3. So if you see a 4.5 Xenar 210 in Copal 3 it would also work on the earlier 355 G-Claron, and fwiw, the 420mm Repro Claron which makes that a very useful lens.

Capocheny
12-Feb-2007, 20:07
True, but standards change with the times and the market. While the used lens market can be confusing now, it's probably appropriate for Schneider to have switched to the Copal 3 with the later versions of the lens.

Hi Ralph,

I don't disagree with you about Schneider going with the Copal 3 shutters but it would STILL be nice to have standards amongst the manufacturers. All these different filter sizes, shutter sizes, etc... enough to drive an insane man sane!! :eek: :)

Cheers

Pete Skerys
13-Feb-2007, 03:11
Thanks for all the (as usual, valuable) comments... my concern is that I can't physically check out the lens. I think it's an older issue, so my presumption is that it will probably be go into a compound, but it's too much trouble to fully determine this. I guess I'll just keep looking (like the rest) for one already mounted (preferably in copal 3). So if anyone's got one: you know where i am!
pete

Joshua Dunn
23-Mar-2009, 20:30
Guess I'm reviving an old thread but I thought I would throw my two cents in.

I have had a late Sixties era 355 G-Claron (black barrel) sitting around for some time. I finally bought a Copal #3 shutter for it from another member on the forum (Gary Alessi, a pleasure to do business with) to mount my G-Claron in. I received the shutter in the mail today and (through no fault of the seller, he had no idea what I was doing with the shutter, just that I wanted one) my lens is too small to screw directly into a Copal #3.

My serial number is in the low 11,000,000 range. So I guess it’s safe to assume that G-Clarons with a serial number close to or below mine will not directly fit into a Copal #3. Additionally if Schneider did switch to Copal shutter from the Compound shutter until 1971 than it would be reasonable to assume (again just an assumption) that 355 G-Clarons would need a serial number in close to 12,000,000 to fit in a Copal #3. I used Schneider’s Age vs Serial # chart as a reference.

Just thought I would put this out there in the hopes that someone will not make the same mistake I did.

Kirk Fry
23-Mar-2009, 21:43
Mine has a 124796xx serial number with a 77 mm filter and fits in a Copal #3.

K

Jon Wilson
23-Mar-2009, 21:57
It may in fact be a direct fit into a compound #3 shutter with correct spacing when you use that shutter from a 210mm xenar scheidner lens. I am away from the lens so I can't tell you the precise lens and provide you with the g-claron information from my lens.