PDA

View Full Version : Verito 7 Inch Soft Focus

fergs1
5-Feb-2007, 03:33
Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, I have in my possesion a 7 inch Verito in a studio shutter which I would like to start using. I have a few questions, firstly I see a lot of different sizes on the web but not the 7 inch.Is this a rare lens and (you guessed it) how much might it be worth(glass perfect, barrel a few chips no dents)
From previous post I expect it to cover 5X4 or 5X7 in a pinch, is this about right.I will have to get a mounting ring made up or if any one here has one for sale please let me know.Now the tricky part, I haven't got a camera and since the studio shutter is a sh#@*er I have been thinking about getting one of the grflex cameras with the focal plane shutters(I was bequethed a few lens in barrels).Will the front lens board stand up to the weight of the verito(its pretty hefty at just under 1/2 kg)Also by how much does the focal length increase when you remove the front element and what coverage would this allow. "Questions ,questions always with the questions" as my dad always said so go easy on this noob. Many thanks for any light that can be shed peace and goodwill fergs

Ernest Purdum
5-Feb-2007, 10:40
Wollensak rated the 7 1/4" Verito for 4" X 5". For portraits, it would be nice to have a 6X9cm rollfilm holder. The rear by itself was 11" focal length, but I wouldn't expect uch extra coverage. Are you sure the Studio shutter isn't reparable?

Is the camera you are thinking about a Speed Graphic? I think the front is probably sturdy enough. If you meant a Graflex SLR, they are plenty sturdy enough, but you would have to be sure that it could be focused at infinity. Wollensak indicated that your size would fit the Telescopic R.B. 4 x 5 and the R.B. Auto 3 1/4" x 4 1/4". Al Telescopic is quite similar to the later D, so I'm guessing that a D or Super D would take your lens.

fergs1
5-Feb-2007, 15:39
Greetings no doubt the studo shutter could be made working but the problem is getting fast enough speeds when wide open and outdoors which is how I would like o use it. Ther lens is not a 7 1/4 inch but a 7 inch which I haven't seen on the web much. cheers fergs

Gene McCluney
11-Feb-2007, 10:53
Greetings no doubt the studo shutter could be made working but the problem is getting fast enough speeds when wide open and outdoors which is how I would like o use it. Ther lens is not a 7 1/4 inch but a 7 inch which I haven't seen on the web much. cheers fergs

Well, why not use a low ISO film, so your slower shutter speeds would be OK?

David A. Goldfarb
11-Feb-2007, 13:39
I use ND filters to get the aperture I want with the Studio shutter or when I'm using one of my other portrait lenses with a Luc-type shutter.

Jim Noel
14-Feb-2007, 10:39
ND filters are life savers when using soft focus lenses with modern emulsions.

If you don't want to pay the outlandish prices, find a Stage Lighting provider. They sell 12x12" and 18x18" sheets for a very few dollars. Sometimes there are flaws in the sheets, but the sheets are so large it is easy to cut out several pieces of good material.

I have these in densities from .30 to 2.1. Of course they can be stacked also.