PDA

View Full Version : 240 G-Claron shutter

C. D. Keth
2-Feb-2007, 18:26
I just bought the glass for a 240 g-claron for quite a nice price. I admit it was a bit of an impulse buy. I think it will fit right into a copal 1, right? Are there any other shutters that the elements will fit right into?

Capocheny
2-Feb-2007, 18:36
Hi Chris,

Yes, it'll drop into a Copal 1 nicely. :)

No shimming required (or, at least, mine didn't require it.)

Look for one of those 210E f5.6 lenses that show up every so often on the bay... you can pick them up for a song if the timing is spot on. It's mounted in a Copal 1. :)

Cheers

C. D. Keth
2-Feb-2007, 18:39
Cool. How about the Polaroid MP-4 shutters like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/135mm-TOMINON-POLAROID-CAMERA-LENS-COPAL-No-1-Shutter_W0QQitemZ130075059174QQihZ003QQcategoryZ30077QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)? I've seen a few of these tominon lenses listed as having copal #1 shutters go for a song. Are they really the same and just rebranded?

Paul Ewins
2-Feb-2007, 19:27
Be very careful with the Polaroid shutters. The MP-4 was sold with a set of lenses that all fitted into the same shutter. The lenses had the aperture, not the shutter which makes it pretty useless for most things. There are even some out there that only have B, T and 1/125 so make sure you can see exactly what you are buying.

The MP-3 style (marked Prontor Polaroid on the face) had the aperture in the shutter but also had a 13mm restricter that limits your maximum aperture. When comparing my 210 G-Claron barrel to the Prontor Polaroid shutter it looks like you would get F13.5 - F64. If you don't mind pulling the shutter apart you could enlarge the restricter hole but it is a fiddly job.

Just had a look on eBay and there were a lot marked "Copal Polaroid". Most of these looked like they might be a Copal 0, but there was one with a 127mm that might have been a Copal 1. I don't know whether any of these have the restricter as I only have the Prontor versions. I think that both types are self-cocking.

C. D. Keth
2-Feb-2007, 20:12
Thanks, Paul. I think I'll probably steer clear of the polaroid shutters, since t's rare to get all the right info on an auction.

Is a compur #1 the same size, spacing between elements, and front and rear threads as a copal #1?