PDA

View Full Version : UK Exhibition - Coasting

Baxter Bradford
1-Feb-2007, 07:55
Hello and thanks for your interest

This exhibition of pictures from the Southern UK Coast will run from 16 March 07 to 6 May 07 in the Olympus Gallery at Dimbola Lodge, Freshwater, Isle of Wight.

Dimbola Lodge (http://www.dimbola.co.uk/content/view/131/44/)

The press release goes as follows:

Coasting – Baxter Bradford

Our Coastline is in a state of constant change. It is a topography that can be appreciated and studied in differing scales. Baxter spends inordinate and often unsociable hours in this wonderfully image rich environment. Here he observes the conditions and carefully crafts his compositions to create his unique images. Baxter’s photographs are principally made on the Jurassic Coast of Dorset, West Cornwall, The Solent and Isle of Wight.

This exhibition consists of images made with his Large Format camera in both Colour and Black and White. They depict the beauty, power and moods of our Coast.

Baxter experiences an innate desire to create photographic images in an outdoors environment. He works in sympathy with both the landscape and the elements. He possesses a genuine affinity with water and the sea in particular. Baxter actively seeks to be on a beach or cliff to attempt to encapsulate scenes of wonderment. His aspirations are that, at its best, his work has a strong initial impact but also offers lasting fulfillment as its more subtle qualities are revealed to the viewer over time……

naturephoto1
1-Feb-2007, 08:20
Hi Baxter,

Congratulations on the Exhibit. :cool: I hope it is a complete success. It is however a little far to go to see and to attend the opening from eastern Pennsylvania. :eek: :D

Rich

Pete Watkins
1-Feb-2007, 12:35
Congratulations on using a large format camera for all the images. It's worth letting both the local press (perhaps with a picture of you with the camera that you used) and A.P. know.
A.P. despite all their many faults does publish details of U.K. exhibitions.
I love the Island but it did cost me £97-00 to get across with my Transit in the autumn. The Great Red Funnel Rip Off!
Pete.

Barry Wilkinson
1-Feb-2007, 13:10
Congratulations Baxter. I have not been to the IOW for many a year, this gives me a great excuse. Thanks

Barry

roteague
1-Feb-2007, 17:42
Hi Baxter, thanks for passing this along. I'm glad that you are getting more of your work in these shows. I just wish I could be there to see them in person - one day I will!!

Baxter Bradford
3-Feb-2007, 02:59
Many thanks Rich, Pete, Barry and Robert.

It is a little remote and yes the fares to get across such a small stretch of water are disproportionate/extortionate whether Red Funnel or Wightlink. Probably fractionally less than those air fares to get to the UK, Rich and Robert!

I like to go as foot passenger Lymington/Yarmouth with my mountain bike. Lovely, easy ride along the River Yar to Freshwater. If I am feeling energetic, then the Tennison trail soon gets the heart and lungs working.

Pete Watkins
3-Feb-2007, 13:56
God, I wish that I was as young as you. They hadn't even invented mountain bikes when I gave up cycling. Many local authorities have facilities for small exhibitions of photography of other art forms, librarys and local museums are frequently used as venues for these types of exhibitions.
Best Wishes,
Pete.

Baxter Bradford
19-Mar-2007, 23:13
A bump really...

The show is now up and running. There are 52 pictures in all. The people at Dimbola have been more than a little complementary - without me paying them...

Essentially the larger exhibition space contains an East to West journey from the Solent to Cornwall, using bigger prints. Yes, there is 'The Corn-wall' (cue groan....). The smaller room contains more intimate/abstract coastal scenes.

Their next exhibition at Dimbola Lodge is a retrospective of Patrick, Lord Litchfield....

Ash
20-Mar-2007, 00:59
Sounds like an excuse to get myself on ol' wighty for a day :)