PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock APO-Grandagon 45mm F4.5 lens question

GSX4
29-Jan-2007, 12:08
I have a lead on a lightly used 45mm APO-Grandagon lens for use on 6 x 9 format. The lens has the helical focus mount, but I wanted to know if I could remove the helical mount and place the lens onto a recessed linhof type lens board for use in my Canham DLC 45? Anyone have any experience with this lens and using it for 6 x 9 on a 4x5 view camera?

Bob Salomon
29-Jan-2007, 12:53
It is very easy to mount or remove a Rodenstock Helical from a lens. The shutter mounts to the Helical the same way as it mounts to a lens board. With a 0 jam nut.

To remove the lens from the Helicoid simply remove the rear group of the lens, being careful to not lose any shim washers and to not scratch the lens elements or cross thread the threads. After the rear group is removed use a lens wrench to loosen the jam nut. Once loosened unscrew the jam nut (hold onto the front of the lens) and just pull the shutter and Helicoid apart.

Now place the shutter you just removed on the lensboard you need to mount the lens to. Replace and tighten the jam nut and replace the rear group making sure that any shim washers are also replaced.

These instructions assume that the lens is in the Rodenstock Helicoid and not a third party one like the one Hasselblad used or Horseman uses. With those you might need a repairman to remove the lens. The Rodenstock one is easily identified as it mounts to a camera or lens board with the same thread as a number 3 shutter. The third party ones will have a bayonet or a lens panel instead of just a 3 thread.