PDA

View Full Version : Does a Nikkor 90mm 4.5 work with Cokin P?

Jim Chan
28-Jan-2007, 21:45
I'm thinking about buying a nikkor 90mm f/4.5, but with it's 82mm filter thread, I'm wondering if my cokin filter holder will vignette on it. Anyone used this combo? (or even with a singh ray polarizing sprocket?) Do you still have any movements left before it vignettes?

I've read that it works fine with the f/8 version, but I'm not so sure about this bigger lens..

Thanks!

andy bessette
28-Jan-2007, 22:20
Hi Jim,

welcome. I don't have an 82mm adapter for the Cokin P, but I have the Nikkor 90mm, f4.5. lens, and it looks like the wide-angle (one slot) P holder might work without vignetting.

best, andy

THERE'S MORE TO OPTICS THAN MEETS THE EYE

Jim Chan
29-Jan-2007, 12:25
Great, thanks for the reply Andy!

Jim Chan
8-Feb-2007, 02:04
FWIW, I ended up buying this lens and just got it today. I don't actually have the 82mm adapter ring yet (probably will pick it up this weekend from my local shop), but holding it in front of the lens I didn't see any vignetting even with the regular triple grooved cokin holder, wide open. I checked the corners while turning the holder diagonally along the long axis, closed down to f/22, and shifted by about ~20mm, which is about as far as my shen-hao will go with the regular bellows. Didn't notice any vignetting. :)

Can't wait to actually go out and shoot with it!

walter23
9-Feb-2007, 11:06
I use the regular cokin P holder with my grandagon 90/6.8 (77mm thread) without vignetting (no movements), though I haven't checked to see if the range of movements available is the same or if I lose some to vignetting in the periphery of the image circle.

stompyq
9-Feb-2007, 11:18
I use the regular cokin P holder with my grandagon 90/6.8 (77mm thread) without vignetting (no movements), though I haven't checked to see if the range of movements available is the same or if I lose some to vignetting in the periphery of the image circle.

I think i can answer that, although i have a SA 90mm f/8 lens. I recently took a shot with significant front rise and tilt (was littrealy looking up) with the SA then waited about 1/2 hour for the light to turn just right during which time i added a singh ray color intensifier via a cokin wide angle adapter. I didn't check through the ground glass (b/c i thought nothing changed) and made the shot. Later after i compared the images the one with the filter shows vignetting. So yes you loose some movements due to vignetting. Although like i said i was using a lot of rise and tilt at the very limits of what my wista is capable of.

stompyq
9-Feb-2007, 11:21
Jim off topic, but how big, heavy, is the nikon? i am also intrested to know what happens when you get the 82mm adapter ring.

naturephoto1
9-Feb-2007, 11:28
I think i can answer that, although i have a SA 90mm f/8 lens. I recently took a shot with significant front rise and tilt (was littrealy looking up) with the SA then waited about 1/2 hour for the light to turn just right during which time i added a singh ray color intensifier via a cokin wide angle adapter. I didn't check through the ground glass (b/c i thought nothing changed) and made the shot. Later after i compared the images the one with the filter shows vignetting. So yes you loose some movements due to vignetting. Although like i said i was using a lot of rise and tilt at the very limits of what my wista is capable of.

You may be seeing light fall off from the lens or even exceeded the image circle of the lens and not vignetting by the filter/adapter when using a lot of front rise or tilt. Run a test of the same set up one with the filter and one without and compare the results. Additionally and particularly with transparency film you may see light fall off toward the corners particualarly when using much front rise and tilt. The 90mm f8 SA can benefit from the usage of a Center ND; but if you require/use the Center Grad ND you will probably require the usage of an 82mm adapter to use additional filters.

Rich

stompyq
9-Feb-2007, 11:44
Rich, i've made quite a few images where i would take the shot, wait screw on the cokin adapter with a filter and take a second image (or vice versa) without seeing any diference in the final image (which was why i used it in the example i highlighted earlier). However you do make a very valid point, about light falloff. i guess the lesson is to be careful with extreame movements and using cokin adapters with the SA