PDA

View Full Version : Gitzo GT3540XLS for 8x10?

H. G. Hart
28-Jan-2007, 12:56
I am using an 8x10 setup that I imagine weighs close to 20 lbs including camera, lens, film holder, and tripod head, While I'm sure the Gitzo is stable when only three of its leg sections are extended (which is adequate 90% of the time), would it sufficiently support my camera at its full height, about 78"? I often use my camera bag as ballast when the tripod is at full extension, this would bring the total weight being supported by the tripod to 35 lbs, give or take a few. Gitzo claims the tripod supports about 40 lbs. In the past I used tripods rated to support 25 or 50% more weight than needed, was this overkill? Thanks.

Frank Petronio
28-Jan-2007, 15:38
I just got that tripod (for 4x5 mostly) and it is quite solid. That said, the 1548 or the newer version of the #5 series will be that much more solid.

I used an 8x10 Arca on a Gitzo 326 metal and Arca B1 head. It was fine, although a little more "beef" would have been nice sometimes. But for general field work, a 3 series Gitzo would be fine. Where you run into problems is not from the height, but from the tilt. Tip a 12 lb 8x10 down to do a shot of the foreground and all but the heaviest tripods get shakey.

Once you decide to use a heavier camera and are not shaving pounds on the chassis, lenses, or gadgets, then I would opt for the more robust tripod. The price difference isn't that much more either.

Next Tim or somebody is going to chime in about how they use a 1228 for 8x10... but unless I was one of those smelly hippie backpackers, I'd go large.

Colin Graham
28-Jan-2007, 16:55
Geez, Frank. Why bathe when you can just douse yourself with patchouli? Soap is so establishment

H. G. Hart
28-Jan-2007, 17:12
Where you run into problems is not from the height, but from the tilt. Tip a 12 lb 8x10 down to do a shot of the foreground and all but the heaviest tripods get shakey.

I'm glad you brought this up. I should have mentioned in my first post that this is one of the very reasons I'm looking at a new tripod. Lately I have been taking several pictures with the camera aimed directly at the ground and have had some stability issues. I've also been looking at the cheaper, heavier Bogen 3051, but adding 10 lbs to my pack does not appeal to me as I carry it for distances greater than 5 miles on a regular basis.

Frank Petronio
28-Jan-2007, 17:31
Yeah the same thing happens with a lot of table top shoots, which is why people use studio stands and Gitzo #5s even with 4x5s. If you just shoot straight and level to the horizon then you can probably get away with a lot lighter tripod.

I use the mystic crystals for homeopathic holistic control of my B.O.

Maris Rusis
28-Jan-2007, 18:27
I've tried a Tachihara 8x10 on a Gitzo 1228. The tripod did bend a little but did not break. Definitely not a practical proposition. The 8x10 now goes on a Velbon Carmagne 740.

Steve Hamley
31-Jan-2007, 10:26
Frank's experience mirrors my own with Deardorff/Ebony 8x10s. A 1348 works fine at shorter camera extensions and at moderate tilts. Do flowers or use a Fuji 600mm, and you really need something stronger. 1500 series or equivalent would be a good choice for any 8x10. The tripod is rigid even with the legs fully extended.

Ballast will help - can't say as I've actually tried it though.

Steve

Frank Petronio
31-Jan-2007, 11:10
I think if you check out the work of the 8x10 shooters using #2 and #3 Gitzos you'll find they are using light cameras to begin with, and most shooting level horizon line shots...

evan clarke
31-Jan-2007, 13:51
I am using an 8x10 setup that I imagine weighs close to 20 lbs including camera, lens, film holder, and tripod head, While I'm sure the Gitzo is stable when only three of its leg sections are extended (which is adequate 90% of the time), would it sufficiently support my camera at its full height, about 78"? I often use my camera bag as ballast when the tripod is at full extension, this would bring the total weight being supported by the tripod to 35 lbs, give or take a few. Gitzo claims the tripod supports about 40 lbs. In the past I used tripods rated to support 25 or 50% more weight than needed, was this overkill? Thanks.

Hi,
I will have one of these next week and my first order of business is to try my 8x10 Arca on it. I have been using a 1325 and it is pretty good with my 8x10 and super solid with my 4x5, more solid than the identical aluminum one I have. I wll report then...Evan Clarke