PDA

View Full Version : Least malodorous sink coating?

John O'Connell
25-Jan-2007, 09:49
I need to recoat my darkroom sinks due to epoxy delamination, and I'm not willing to move out of my house again for a couple of days. (The darkroom is in the basement, the basement has no windows, and the house's hot-air heating system draws its air from the basement.) So that means that I need something less stinky/deadly than two-part epoxy resin.

What's the best product I can use for this, with priorities on low-noxiousness and ease of availability? I'm thinking of trying out masonry waterproofing paint or swimming pool paint, but I don't know how they stand up in the fume department. Suggestions?

Aaron van de Sande
25-Jan-2007, 11:41
doing formica is easier than you think. You just need a router and special bit to cut it, you cut the piece,glue it on and then rout the edge. I think the glue is just a contact cement.

Wayne
25-Jan-2007, 12:36
Swimming pool paint is quite noxious. Xylene I believe, but dont quote me on it. I used it on mine but not in the house. Maybe you can put a temporary coating of elastomeric paint or something else fairly harmless, then strip and recoat it with something more durable once spring comes.

Wayne

Michael Rosenberg
25-Jan-2007, 14:33
John,

If you look on the LF Home Page I have posted an article on building a darkroom sink using PVC. Fumes are transitory and the sink can be used after a few hours. My sink is 6 years old and no leaks.

Regards,

Mike

cyrus
25-Jan-2007, 15:37
The two-part liquid plastic resin stuff that I used didn't have much of a smell. I think it was only carbon dioxide.

Brian Ellis
25-Jan-2007, 20:32
I coated my plywood sink with a Benjamin Moore product called "Moorlastic" or maybe it's "Moorelastic," something like that. You put it on with a brush just like paint, it dries in a few hours. I used four coats initially and reapplied it roughly once every couple years after that just to be safe. Worked great, never had a problem in about six years of use.

lee\c
25-Jan-2007, 21:03
one thing no one has addressed yet is compatibility. Will what ever you choose to use adhere to the old finish? That would be a concern to me.

lee\c

bob carnie
27-Jan-2007, 08:05
We just finished a large wood sink and will be finishing more.

West System 105 Epoxy Resin part 1 105-b
West System 206 slow hardener part 2 C206-b

Odourless and worked very well,
Sand , apply and wait. couple of days depending on heat humidity of room.

I would highly recommend this product

Michael Daily
27-Jan-2007, 12:06
I've been using a plywood sink for about 25 years. I use a polyurethane exterior finish and recoat about every 10 years or so.
Michael

John Powers
28-Jan-2007, 06:40
As one with really bad allergies, may I suggest that you add good ventilation fans to get rid of those fumes as well as the normal ones in darkrooms. The fan going into the darkroom can suck through a good furnace filter to leave the dust bunnies behind. The exhaust can go outside between the rafters.

Have you looked for a stainless sink, no fumes any time and no refinishing later? I found an eight foot Arkay with splash rail and hand made stand for $300 at a photo swap meet. Labor, fumes, materials and future refinishing all made that seem quite inexpensive. The father had had a dark room. The son had gone digital. The son's wife wanted the storage space. I wanted the sink. Everybody happy.

John