PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Virginia

Diggin99
22-Jan-2007, 19:46
Hello everyone! I just dove into LF, my history photo wise is probably typical for my age group. When I was a teen my father gave me a Canon AE-1. I took one photography class in college, which I enjoyed. But then I let photography drop. I got a Nikon D50 a little while back and it reminded me that I always intended to get back into photography, which meant for me learning how to work with film. So I went back to my roots and picked up 35mm again. Also have done some medium format stuff. I like landscapes, also rural scenes. I got a CC401 on ebay and a lens from Jim Galli (thanks Jim!) recently and here is my first shot.

The weather has been lousy here, over cast, seems like the second I got my LF kit together the "winter mix" blew in! I always shooot the same couple of trees for testing a new camera. I could not take it anymore and decided to take a test shot despite the grey day. HP5, developed in Pyrocat HD for 60 minutes, semi-stand.

I am happy to have found the forum and I am eager to see what happens next!

Nancy

Brian Ellis
22-Jan-2007, 20:49
Welcome to the group Nancy. There's a lot of good people and good information here.

It looks like there's a problem with the focus in your test shot, unless for some reason you wanted the tree to be blurred.

Bob Gentile
22-Jan-2007, 21:04
Welcome!

Capocheny
22-Jan-2007, 21:29
Hi Nancy,

Greetings from Vancouver, BC in Canada...

Good to have you here! :)

Cheers

Ralph Barker
22-Jan-2007, 22:06
Welcome to the LF Forum, Nancy.

roteague
22-Jan-2007, 23:02
Hi Nancy, welcome from Hawaii. I hope you enjoy your new found addiction, because that is what LF is. I'm on the 21st year of mine now... :p

Brian Schall
22-Jan-2007, 23:43
As an old Virginia boy, I welcome you. I'm the guy in New Mexico wearing the Va Tech hat. Can't miss me. Good luck with your new found compulsion.

Brian

Robert Hall
23-Jan-2007, 00:52
Welcome.

You may find that the overcast days can be very good for black and white.

Here's to burning lots of film!

John Bowen
23-Jan-2007, 04:49
Hi Nancy,

I'm in Midlothian. Give a shout if you want to go out and shoot together. I enjoy getting up to Shenandoah National Park a few times a year. Also if you ever get the ULF bug and want to see one of Richard Ritter's 7x17 cameras give me a call.

Welcome to the club!

Diggin99
23-Jan-2007, 05:46
Thanks everyone. Glad to be here! And hi to John in Midlothian!

Oh and still trying to figure out focusing...:)

Nancy

Vaughn
23-Jan-2007, 09:59
Welcome, Nancy!

And shame on John for tempting you with a 7x17 already!;)

vaughn

Ted Harris
23-Jan-2007, 15:54
Welcome Nancy,

Glad to have you here on the Forum. You won't find anybody better than John Bowen to go shoot with .....

darr
23-Jan-2007, 17:05
Hi Nancy,

Glad to see another gal join the forum! These guys can be so much fun to listen and learn from.

Darr (legally a/k/a Darlene :) )

Uncle Jim
23-Jan-2007, 18:35
Hi All,
Started in photography in the late fifties. Was a photo instructor for a while. Took a 2 year photo/darkroom course in junior colage and worked as a lab tech/printer for a number of years. Have been doing large format since the mid-sixties. Currently have a 5x7, 8x10 and several 3.25x4.25 (quarter plate) cameras. Am working on building a 5.5x14 view camera. Also rebuilding my darkroom.

Capocheny
23-Jan-2007, 21:18
Hi All,
Started in photography in the late fifties. Was a photo instructor for a while. Took a 2 year photo/darkroom course in junior colage and worked as a lab tech/printer for a number of years. Have been doing large format since the mid-sixties. Currently have a 5x7, 8x10 and several 3.25x4.25 (quarter plate) cameras. Am working on building a 5.5x14 view camera. Also rebuilding my darkroom.

Say "Hi" to Uncle Jim everyone!

Hi Uncle Jim!

Welcome to the club! :)

Cheers

dominikus bw
24-Jan-2007, 02:24
welcome Nancy...
nicely done for the first LF's shot, it's a good thing if you always shooot the same couple of trees for testing a new camera, cos it will make you to get used to with new camera.
You can used orange filter or give N+ developmnet to your negative to deal with an over cast days...

Vaughn
24-Jan-2007, 09:24
Hi All,

Hello and welcome, Jim!

5.5x14 is a size I have also been contemplating. I was thinking 7x17, but thought getting an 11x14 camera ('someday" when I can afford it!) and cutting a darkslide in half would allow me more flexibility...two 5.5x14's or a full-frame 11x14 with the same equipment. I am doing the same with my 8x10 camera now.

Vaughn

Alan Rabe
25-Jan-2007, 08:29
Hi Nancy. I'm on Va. Beach. If your in that area there is a pretty descent photo club with a few of us doing LF. If you live in the area search on the web for the Virgina Beach Photographyy Club. They meet first Tuesday of the month.

E_Aiken
16-Mar-2007, 10:49
I'm originally from Herndon VA. Miss it sometimes.