PDA

View Full Version : Ballpark Exposure for Night Cityscapes

Brian Vuillemenot
18-Jan-2007, 16:19
Hi all,

I'm planning on doing some night photography of the lighted buildings in San Francisco, and was looking for a ballpark exposure range (on 100 speed film at f/22). I was thinking about three minutes or so... how does that sound? Thanks!

Bob Gentile
18-Jan-2007, 16:37
For cityscapes of Philadelphia, I use the equivalent of four minutes (@f/22, ISO 100) BEFORE adjusting for reciprocity.

false_Aesthetic
18-Jan-2007, 17:39
What type of film? Reciprocity failure is totally different b/n films

With 160S I end up doing 4-8 min at f16 (I rate the film at 100 and then add a stop.....)

T

p.s. for b/w Tmax 400 has the best reciprocity failure

Amund BLix Aaeng
18-Jan-2007, 17:50
p.s. for b/w Tmax 400 has the best reciprocity failure

No, that`s Fuji Acros, no correction until 120s, then add 1/2 a stop for anything longer. But of course TMY is two stops faster to start with....

Brian Vuillemenot
18-Jan-2007, 18:00
Thanks guys- the film I have in mind is Kodak E100 VS.

Gordon Moat
18-Jan-2007, 18:24
I have fairly good results about 30 minutes after sunset using about four minutes with E100VS. However, I am usually shooting about one or two stops faster, so you might consider eight to ten minutes. Ideally you can use a light meter for city/urban scenes, just watch out for oncoming car headlights or streetlamps altering your reading. Really with night and urban imaging, you can be off by a bit and still get an interesting and useful image result. Going by exposure compensation I have used with E100VS, I add 1/3 stop exposure for anything over one minute, 2/3 extra for anything over six minutes, and one stop extra for 10 to 15 minutes. I have not tried E100VS beyond 15 minutes yet.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

false_Aesthetic
18-Jan-2007, 20:03
No, that`s Fuji Acros, no correction until 120s, then add 1/2 a stop for anything longer. But of course TMY is two stops faster to start with....

You're right, however Acros is not avail (in the US) 4x5 unless you do readyload . . . my reason for suggesting Tmax.

Sorry to "steal" the thread. Just wanted to clarify.

Cheers
T

erie patsellis
18-Jan-2007, 20:56
for future reference, google "jiffy caculator" or s.p. martin, (or if you just cant' spell google.... http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Cameras/JiffyCalc.pdf)

I have a copy of an old (~1964) night exposure calculator that, so far, has prove to be worth far more that the time and expense ($0) to print out.

erie