PDA

View Full Version : Specs on Linhof Lightweight Tripod

Frank Petronio
15-Jan-2007, 15:25
Linhof Lightweight Pro Tripod - Supports 13.00 lb (5.90 kg) Mfr# 003414

The specs list it as going 73" tall but I suspect that is with the two part center column maxed out. Does anyone know how tall it is without using the column?

How do you like it? Is there a slightly more robust Linhof pod available? I'm think of using it with a Technika 4x5... (but may get a Gitzo CF, just last minute meanderings...)

Ted Harris
15-Jan-2007, 16:55
Frank,

I can go out to the studio or the truck tomorrow when, hopefully ice isn't falling from the sky and confirm but I think you are mixing up two models and it is understandable if you are looking at the B&H website. Unless they have redesigned this pod (Bob Salaomon help) it only has a single part center column with a reversible top plate. This is my main tripod and it easily extends to 5++ feet without the center column. Suffice to say that I seldom have a need to use the center column. I find that its weight rating is conservative. It is rock solid with a a Toyo 45AII-L and a Canham T57 racked pretty far out so you will have no provlem with your Technika. I have posted about Linhof tripod design so no need to go into detail again, suffice to say the fliplocks and u shaped legs are far more to my liking than Gitzo.

Bob Salomon
15-Jan-2007, 17:55
The Lightweight Pro does not have a two piece column. The ProfiPort has the two piece column.

The 003414 has a 17" long column. The 003317 is the next heavier tripod from Linhof and weighs about 7 pounds. Then comes the Profi 3 and the Heavy Duty Pro tripods. They are very heavy and very expensive,

The 003414 easily supports a Technika with the column fully extended or fully retracted.

The column is reversable and one leg has a thread on it to accept a head so the camera can be mounted within 3" of the ground. The larger tripods from Linhof do not have that thread mount on the leg.

Bill_1856
15-Jan-2007, 18:15
Is there a picture and specs on the 3414 somewhere on the web? I don't seem to be able to find anything about it.

Ted Harris
15-Jan-2007, 19:00
Bill,

That's the tripod that my camera was mounted on at the Fall Foliage Workshop. Pictures on the HPMarketing website www.hpmarketingcorp.com.

Bob, thanks for mentioning the mounting point near the ground. I don't use it often but on a few occssions it has been wonderful to have. In case it doesn't come through I'm very high on this tripod. The ProfiPort is great too. A bit lighter than you would ideally want for 4x5 but closed it fits in a rollaboard bag with lotsa room to spare.

Bill_1856
15-Jan-2007, 21:47
Thanks, Ted. I remember noticing that tripod and meant to ask about it, but somehow never got around to it. Would it be too much trouble to ask you to measure the height with the column NOT extended?

Robert A. Zeichner
15-Jan-2007, 22:17
I owned a Linhof Nu-line 2 for many many years (actually wore out the leg hinge area) and finally sold it. I mention this, because it was based on that, that I bought one of the later lightweights of similar design. These tripods have U-shaped aluminum legs with lever-style leg lock assemblies that face inward toward the center of the tripod. The older style levers were cast and had smooth finger grabs that made unlocking (by pushing in toward the center) very easy and comfortable to do. The newer one had stamped aluminum levers that had no such finger grabs and were pretty sharp to boot. I cut myself several times when operating these in cold weather and just sold it out of desparation. I still have my much larger (and older style beige) Linhof dual strut tripod that works extremely well with my Majestic head for use with my 8x10, but I don't miss that newer style lightweight at all. I use a Gitzo carbon fiber for everything smaller than 8x10.

David A. Goldfarb
16-Jan-2007, 02:40
If anything brings you down to NYC, Frank, I think I saw a 3414 on the floor at Photo Gizzmo a few days ago.

Bob Salomon
16-Jan-2007, 06:59
Robert,

Did you ever ask us or Marflex or Linhof to check the levers on your tripod? Having been the importer for almost 30 years this is the first time anyone has ever mentioned that problem.

Robert A. Zeichner
16-Jan-2007, 18:39
Robert,

Did you ever ask us or Marflex or Linhof to check the levers on your tripod? Having been the importer for almost 30 years this is the first time anyone has ever mentioned that problem.

Actually Bob, I did make just such an inquiry of Marflex and while this was quite some time ago, I recall the response to be something like "that's just the way they work". I don't think it was a case of their not be adjusted properly, as I bought this as new and all the levers worked the same way. They just had too aggressive a feel to them and my hands could not take the abuse. I guess I got so used the nice feel of the older cast levers that I lost my affection for this tripod. It's a shame, because it was a very light weight and stable support.

Frank Petronio
16-Jan-2007, 18:58
This morning B&H got the Gitzo GT3540XLS 6x CF in stock and got that instead... it is pretty much the ideal field camera tripod... twice as much as the Linhof though.

KenM
17-Jan-2007, 06:44
Wow, 78" maximum height. Plug a head onto that, and you get 84" of height. Nice.

I may have to start building a Christmas list early :D

Frank Petronio
17-Jan-2007, 08:28
Yeah every once in a while it seems I get a good shot by standing on a chair or ladder, so I really like having the option. If I were a backpacker I might compromise tho.

Kerry L. Thalmann
17-Jan-2007, 09:59
This morning B&H got the Gitzo GT3540XLS 6x CF in stock and got that instead... it is pretty much the ideal field camera tripod... twice as much as the Linhof though.

Aw Frank, now you're gone and done it. I used to think my 1325 was THE perfect tripod and there could never be anything better. Then Gitzo comes out with their 6x series. They are stronger and lighter than the previous series and incorporate nice features like anti-twist legs and removable/replaceable feet.

I still like my 1325 and probably won't bother replacing it any time soon, but now you've got me looking at the GT55xx series or ULF. Hard to beat a 6 lb. tripod that can support 55 lbs.

Kerry

Frank Petronio
17-Jan-2007, 12:50
By the time I get a good head the support system will cost more than my cameras, but to paraphrase Chris Perez, "The sharpest lens is a tripod..."

raizans
10-Jan-2012, 23:48
Thanks, Ted. I remember noticing that tripod and meant to ask about it, but somehow never got around to it. Would it be too much trouble to ask you to measure the height with the column NOT extended?

old thread comes back from the dead!

so...how high is the 003414 without the column raised?