PDA

View Full Version : Herman Leonard

cobalt
14-Jan-2007, 20:41
Hi.
After getting sick and tired of viewing the same old, done to death scenes (Monument Valley, living/dead flowers, dead wood, living and dead trees, trees in fog, various barn parts, farm implements and sunsets, and the infamous, omnipresent, cala lilly (and yes, I have shot them too)), to the point that I was just about ready to chuck all my gear into the Ebay stream, I came across a book entitled Jazz, Giants, and Journeys, the Photography of Herman Leonard.

I convinced a store employee to rip the shrink wrap off of the store's sole copy. I sat down and gorged my eyes on the work of the man whose photographic vision is singularly responsible for my interest in photography. More specifically, it was the image of Dexter Gordon, saxophone resting against one knee, smoke wafting into the air, members of his band drifting into the background, that convinced me that, although just about anybody can be trained to make a technically "correct" picture with a camera, when such overwhelmingly brilliant talent is harnessed for the purpose of creating black and white images, photography is truly elevated from the rank level of technical vocation to the aristocracy of fine art form.

Having lamented, from time to time, my unwillingness to part with the funds required to purchase the book The Sound I Saw (Roy Decarava), only to never see it on the stands again, I gladly let go of 60 dollars to purchase this tome filled with sumptuously rendered imagery; my lesson was well learned.

Although fluent in many photographic genres, it is Leonard's jazz images that wrest a smile from my soul. The images speak. They shout. They whisper, simmer, sing and seem aware of being viewed decades later. Though many of the subjects are long deceased, the images, most of which were produced with a 4x5 Speed Graphic, are as fresh and vibrant as a newly minted watercolor painting...veritable soliloquies in silver. Only the truly art impaired could view the work presented here and not be moved.

Thank you Mr. Leonard, for reminding me why I spend so much time, money, effort, blood, sweat and tears in the pursuit of being like you when I grow up.

Ed Richards
14-Jan-2007, 21:33
He is still alive and kicking:

http://www.hermanleonard.com/default_content.html

roteague
14-Jan-2007, 21:43
After getting sick and tired of viewing the same old, done to death scenes (Monument Valley, living/dead flowers, dead wood, living and dead trees, trees in fog, various barn parts, farm implements and sunsets, and the infamous, omnipresent, cala lilly

Too bad. Those are things I never get tired of looking at. Then again, I love nature, and I love the outdoors - I can't think of anything better than looking at things you love.

Jan Pedersen
14-Jan-2007, 22:04
Miles Davis and Charlie Parker shot by Herman Leonard have been on my walls the last 20 years. Unfortunately only as a poster but they are still outstanding.

jan

Greg Lockrey
14-Jan-2007, 22:17
Miles Davis and Charlie Parker shot by Herman Leonard have been on my walls the last 20 years. Unfortunately only as a poster but they are still outstanding.

jan

Here is your chance to get signed silver gelatin prints. :) Thanks for posting the site Ed. Among two of my favorite subjects, Jazz and Photography. Those were refreshing. Look at the quality of his use of light. I don't think that today's film can do that for some reason.

Ed Richards
15-Jan-2007, 07:40
> I don't think that today's film can do that for some reason.

I do not think it is a film problem, I think it is a changing fashion in photographs. See his modern work:

http://www.hermanleonard.com/catalogue/new_orleans/index.htm

He learned with Karsh, and adapted Karsh's signature lighting. Many of the shots look to have been shot with existing stage lighting, but in small venues where you would expect some good reflected light in the background. While I hate smoking, the haze of tobacco smoke in the real clubs should soften the light, like the dust does in places known for great light, such as Santa Fe and Florence. He also uses it to great effect in several images. And of course, the magic of old single coated lenses, as I am sure someone will assert.:-)

Greg Lockrey
15-Jan-2007, 07:49
Those old flash bulbs did put out a nice light. That had a lot to do with it also. BTW, I still have couple boxes with my old Heiland flash head.

Bill_1856
15-Jan-2007, 08:01
I trust you bought the book, and didn't just fondle it?

cobalt
15-Jan-2007, 08:37
Actually, his work, for the most part, had nothing to do with camera mounted flash. If you look at the images, the light is generally not originating from the point of view of the camera.

Sal Santamaura
15-Jan-2007, 09:09
Too bad. Those are things I never get tired of looking at. Then again, I love nature, and I love the outdoors - I can't think of anything better than looking at things you love.Exactly. But, since most humans behave like herd animals who must conform to fashionable trends, you (and I and, probably a fair number of others) display an attitude that is out of step with the current landscape bashing evident here and on other forums.

Love what you photograph and you'll love your photographs. Try to make good pictures of something you're not emotionally connected to and expect disappointing images.

As contextual information: jazz is the central music of my life. I've financially supported my local 24/7 jazz station since it adopted that format over 25 years ago. It wakes me and puts me to sleep via a clock radio, accompanies me on a 100-mile daily round trip commute and comprises the vast majority of my recorded music collection, spanning LPs, reel-to-reel tapes and CDs. However, I could no more give an exemplary performance photographing jazz musicians than I could play improvisational jazz. A man's got to know his limitations. So I photograph my other passion, the landscape. Its pace is compatible with my measured, comprehensively observational personality.

Greg Lockrey
15-Jan-2007, 09:34
Actually, his work, for the most part, had nothing to do with camera mounted flash. If you look at the images, the light is generally not originating from the point of view of the camera.

No, but they do have a wire you can attach to those flashes for extreme off camera work. Some is natural to be sure.

cobalt
15-Jan-2007, 10:03
It is suggested that Leonard set up lighting before the performances in some instances. In any event, the images bowled me over, and continue to do so every time I view them.

Brian Ellis
15-Jan-2007, 18:36
"After getting sick and tired of viewing the same old, done to death scenes (Monument Valley, living/dead flowers, dead wood, living and dead trees, trees in fog, various barn parts, farm implements and sunsets, and the infamous, omnipresent, cala lilly . . . . "

While I've seen many photographs of these subjects I don't think I've ever seen two from two different photographers that were identical and very rarely any that were real close. Interestingly, the only times I can offhand remember seeing essentially identical photographs from different photographers the subject hasn't been any of the things you mention, it's been buildings.

lee\c
15-Jan-2007, 18:54
Several years ago Herman Leonard was invited to be a part of a print sale for the Houston Center for Photography that Clay Harmon and I were also in. He gave a talk at a hall in Houston and presented a slide show and talked about each of the images he brought. He is a very accomplished photographer. He was a commercial guy in NYC for a number of years then moved the family to an island in the Mediterranean. He was needing to raise money to send his kid to school and he approached a gallery in London. They were a little hesitant at first, but agreed to the show when they saw the jazz portfolio. The gallery said this was the highest selling show in their history at the time. He also shared that he did set up his studio in NYC and invite the musicians to come down for photographs before the sets at the jazz club. That way he had complete control of the lighting. He also used a lot of hot lights. I think he still lives in New Orleans unless the Hurricane Katrina ran him off. Nice man. Ken Burns used one of his images on the show about the history of Jazz. I think it was Nat King Cole.

lee\c

Paul Fitzgerald
16-Jan-2007, 23:20
Hi there,

thanks for the links, lovely.

" And of course, the magic of old single coated lenses, as I am sure someone will assert.:-)"

They were new single-coated lenses then, and they still work well. Very well. ;)
To venture a guess, most of these photos look like Tri-X in 777. Now to try TXP320 in 777 and see if it still works the same. :eek:

Thanks again.

Dorothy Blum Cooper
29-Jan-2007, 20:08
Herman is an amazingly talented photographer as well as a wonderful, kind man.

My husband and I had the great pleasure of being invited into his home by his manager, Jenny Bagert, back in 2001. We spent a wonderful afternoon with him and were allowed to venture into his darkroom with him to see where he created those classic images. What a setup!!

After our initial visit, my husband visited Herman at home again on a few other occasions and also at a few exhibits in New Orleans and Covington. He was kind enough to share his lighting technique with us as well as some other storys.

Katrina hit...Herman lost not only his home, but most of its contents (story here (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4863541). With so much lost, he moved from his home in New Orleans of almost 15 years to California where he now resides with his daughter and her family.

My husband actually called out to California not too long after our move to check in on Herman. Jenny said he was well with a new book out by David Houston (Ogden Museum in New Orleans). You can see it here (http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Giants-Journeys-Photography-Leonard/dp/1857594347/sr=1-1/qid=1170125150/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-2416236-4787905?ie=UTF8&s=books)

We will always be appreciative of the time that we spent with Herman. We feel quite fortunate to have met him and consider both he and Jenny friends.

On a side note...if you'd like to help him out in any way, visit his website to order his other classic books directly. They are full of spectacular images from the classic Jazz Era of yesteryear!!

Herman Leonard (http://www.hermanleonard.com)

Legendary Jazz Photographer Herman Leonard at Exhibit 2003
photo by Dorothy Blum Cooper~

http://www.greyhound-design.com/HermanLeonardBookSign2003B.jpg