PDA

View Full Version : Colors aren't matching...hmmm

PViapiano
11-Jan-2007, 21:54
Hi all...

Why would an 8-bit file converted to sRGB in Photoshop look different when uploaded to the web, ie the Flickr website?

This is the first time I've experienced this and it's got me stumped...

Thanks in advance...!

paul stimac
12-Jan-2007, 09:45
In photoshop, it's being adjusted for your viewing profile (what ever that is). Online it's not. I have good results when I use "save for web", not just to compress, but also to see the image w/o the viewing profile adjustment applied. This gives me a much better idea of what it will look like on the web.

Tim Lookingbill
12-Jan-2007, 14:25
Are you viewing the Flickr website on one of those LCD's whose color gamut is very close to the AdobeRGB space? If so, your sRGB images may look somewhat oversaturated.

Other than that if you edited this image from the beginning or captured it with messed up display profile and/or PS Color Settings, that could also be the cause.

Provide a link to this image for us to get an idea what colors are not matching.

Another thought, some web browsers are color managed and some aren't and those that are may need system/browser level settings correctly set.

PViapiano
12-Jan-2007, 15:54
I've always "converted" to sRGB for images that I upload to the web and I have never noticed this problem before.

But after experimenting today, I find that if I do not embed the sRGB profile (any profile actually) when saving the image as a jpg, then it looks fine and matches the Photoshop image exactly.

FYI...Tim, yes the sRGB image on Flickr looked oversaturated, BUT the sRGB image when viewed in PS, did NOT look oversaturated...or slightly biased to the magenta side.

Strange, because I run a color managed system and have been doing this for years...

Tim Lookingbill
12-Jan-2007, 18:36
..."I find that if I do not embed the sRGB profile (any profile actually) when saving the image as a jpg, then it looks fine and matches the Photoshop image exactly."

Then it has to be a browser CM issue or Flickr may be doing something on their website. That's my best guess.